TN: 1998 Château Monbousquet (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru)

DavidG

TN: 1998 Château Monbousquet (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru)

Post by DavidG »

• 1998 Château Monbousquet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (7/14/2013)
    Cellared since release. Perfect cork and fill. Purple/red core, minimal lightening at rim. Nose of cassis, cherry, leather, meat and coffee on opening, with mint coming forward and the leather/meat/coffee receding as the wine opens. Medium body, cassis and mint on the palate, good balance, moderate tannins persist. The mint and leather/meat notes play back and forth over the few hours the wine is consumed, making for an interesting complexity even though the wine is still young. Medium-long finish. Should continue to drink well for many years and may develop additional complexity. Outstanding.
RDD

Re: TN: 1998 Château Monbousquet (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru)

Post by RDD »

Have a nice dinner planned in Williamsburg,Va this weekend. May have to bring this. We are also planning on drinking some 86's.
DavidG

1998 Château Monbousquet

Post by DavidG »

If you pop one, let me know what you think. Modern style but very nice IMO.
RDD

Re: TN: 1998 Château Monbousquet (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru)

Post by RDD »

Well turns out I have the 2000 Monbousquet and the 1998 Pavie. We'll try both. And 86 Ducru , 86 GPL, 86 Gruard Larose.
On the road..............
DavidG

Re: 1998 Monbousquet

Post by DavidG »

Curious if the '86 Ducru is ready to drink or if it needs more time. GPL and Gruaud should be great.
Winona Chief

Re: TN: 1998 Château Monbousquet

Post by Winona Chief »

Many of the 1986s are starting to show very well now. Recent bottles of Gruaud, Talbot and GPL have all been so good but I've had no experience with 1986 Ducru.

Back to the main theme of this thread, I have to say I am not a fan of 1998 Monbousquet. After two unsatisfactory tries (one in a blind line-up of1998s) I came to the conclusion that 1998 Monbousquet was quite horrid and returned all my bottles to a local DC wine store for a refund. Maybe it's just me but I just did not like this wine at all.

Chris Bublitz
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

I am not a fan of 1998 Monbousquet. My most recent bottle at my house at a BWE event a couple of years ago was effectively undrinkable. Michael P liked it. So there you go ;)

SF Ed
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Well it's certainly not traditional. I guess I'm less selective or more oak tolerant or something, but obviously I liked it.
RDD

Post by RDD »

Well we never got to the 86 GPL or 86 Ducru. But the 86 Gruaud Larose was same as it ever was... fantastic.
The 2000 Monbousquet was rich, deep, opulent and somewhat Californian w/o the pristine clean jam (you could still tell it was French).
But everyone was seduced by the "dark side" and the 1996 Chevillon Les Vaucrains out classed everything.

But to be honest we were ( 4 of us) pretty relaxed by the time the reds rolled out as we had a 1996 Pol Roget and a bottle of Puligny and Chassagne.