TN: 2005 Fleur Cardinale

OrlandoRobert

TN: 2005 Fleur Cardinale

Post by OrlandoRobert »

After my Lascombes scandal, let me toss out this note from last night's wine lest I be perceived as anti-modern.

This is a very decent wine. I thought so on release (bought more than one case). Less precocious now, having added weight and depth framed by considerable tannin and structure. A delicious liquor-rich nose of black fruits and violets with some smoke and toast. Heavy but not cloying on the palate, lower acid but still layering. Plummy dark fruits, black licorice and toast. Long, chewy finish. While some modern St Ems I've had from this vintage are starting to open up, this baby still needs time, say 3 years or so before checking in again. This wine is head and shoulders above its '03 and '04 counterpart.
W1244

Re: TN: 2005 Fleur Cardinale

Post by W1244 »

That sounds like good news, I went heavy on this wine as well.
Outlier

Post by Outlier »

I had my first '05 Fleur Cardinale a few months ago and found it to be excellent. However, I've also had four of the'09 Fleur Cardinale and on balance I prefer the '09. The '05 is even more structured now vs. the '09 but somehow I found the '09 more inviting, stylish and flamboyant (not to mention cheaper...) From the '05 vintage my favorites from the dozen or so I've had so far have been d'Issan and Clerc Milon, in the somewhat non-stratospheric pricerange.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I was thinking of picking up some 2009 and 2010.
What are your thoughts on the age ability of this wine? The 2010 is like 15%, no?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The 2009 Château la Fleur Cardinale is an excellent wine, and even a bit more. I think that wine can age easily 10-15 years, as yes it is ripe but structured as well.

Nic