2002 Dinner

stefan

2002 Dinner

Post by stefan »

Discussion on BWE prompted us to have a dinner featuring 2002 wines.
With cheese, sausage, and olives before dinner we drank

2002 Pol Roger. Last winter I was disappointed in the '02 Pol Roger in magnums as it was rather sweet and even flabby. In 750 format the wine is showing very well now even if it will gain further complexity. C, who is Christian Pol Roger's cousin, pronounced it a very good vintage for PR.

With flat iron steak and baked potatoes we drank

2002 La Lagune. The bouquet is wonderful and Margaux like. Although very tasty, the wine was not as intense as I expected after smelling.

2002 Trotanoy. Deeper taste than the La Lagune and has some Pomerol black fruit. Still, this wine has a great pedigred and this tasting reaffirms my belief that 2002 was much less successful on the right bank than on the left.

2002 Pape Clement. Very concentrated with oodles of black fruit. Still unformed but nevertheless approachable. Great with the steak.

Four diners said that the La Lagune was their favorite; two, including me but not Lucie, liked the Pape Clement best. Both groups mostly placed the Trotanoy as number 2. Everyone liked all the wines. I think that the La Lagune is best for drinking now and the other two will continue to improve, although I doubt that the Trotanoy will ever be in the class of the vintages of Trotanoy that we remember.

Tonight with grilled turkey and grilled asparagus Lucie and I revisited a young friend--2003 du Tertre. It is close to its time of maturity, although the fragrance will certainly become more floral with age. The fruit, consisting mostly of Brazos berries, is very sweet and satisfying. Neither of us detected any burnt berries. Du Tertre continues to be, IMO, one of the great bargains from Bordeaux.
stefan

Re: 2002 Dinner

Post by stefan »

Tonight with grilled quail and rice pilaf we drank

1985 La Lagune. We have drunk more than three cases of this wine. Last fall, after not drunk any for around ten years, I bought some at auction for old times sake. The bottles we have drunk have all been good but none have been exciting. Tonight was different. I was worried when I poured because the wine was almost brown. However, the bouquet jumped out of the glass. There is quite a lot of tobacco in the wine, but the fruit is very sweet and the cassis is pronounced. While only medium weight, there is no weakness anywhere in the mouth. Both Lucie and I preferred this wine to any of the ones in the post above. stefan 93. Lucie 95.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

You must have been in your seventh heaven with your favourite producer...and vintage? I think 1985 is probably one of the best for current drinking and will have more staying power than the 1983s, some of which are showing signs of cracking up.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yes, we have had mixed results with '83 La Lagunes in the last few years. The peaks of it are still high, though.
William P

Post by William P »

Bill, very nice dinner. Let me know when you are next in Berkeley.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Stefan
I've always found the 83 to be quite delicious but I think it was better a decade ago.
cheers
Mark