2004, 2006 and 2008 right bankers

Claudius2

2004, 2006 and 2008 right bankers

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
Not done a lot of notes lately.
Have been thru a lot of changes over last year or so and fine wine hasn't been a priority (worse luck!)
But started trying a few rhght bankers recently.

2004 Clos Les Lunelles Cotes de Castillion

Very nice dark mahogany red, showing some maturity.
Nose of tobacco leaf, dark fruits, cedar and a slight herbal tinge.
Palate is medium bodied, a little hollow in the middle but with good dark fruit, mocha, vanilla and tar.
Actually structure a bit more Medoc like - it has the dark fruits of a cabernet based wine despite being mainly Merlot.
It is not a great wine but very good at least.
Easy to drink and quite moreish (sipping it now).
Drink over the next 3-5 years as I think there is little room for improvement.

2006 Moulin St Georges St Emilion GC
Younger, brighter colour. Nice dark red, almost black in centre.
Nose is more lifted than the Lunelles, with red and black fruit, spice, earth and more herbs.
Palate is consistent - some may not like the slightly overt herbal character of the wine but I like it.
It is medium bodied, but a touch fuller than the Lunelles.
Again, a nice wine but I think it would create a vast variety of opinion at a tasting - the herbal character is a little prickly if that makes sense.
Yet a very nice wine with food.
Drink next 5-8 yrs.

2008 Chateau Rouget Pomerol
This wine is simply not ready.
Not sure why I pulled the cork but it is a nice dark colour, more viscous than the wines above, and has a dense, smoky nose with dark fruits, earth, a gamey character and a touch of spice.
So I thought hmmmm... smells quite enticing and complex will taste good.
Well it may in five years but it is closed up now.
Not for current consumption but the structure is there for it to shine some time later.
leave 5 yrs at least.
Drink 2020-2025 I'd guess.

Also did another 2003 Pontet Canet.
This wine continues to be a chameleon.
One day it tastes wonderful, the next you wonder why you bought it.
It is Pandora's box in a wine bottle.
This bottle created a few pulled faces and I looked a bit perplexed.
If I tried it blind I would never pick it as Bordeaux let alone PC.
Well it wasn't "bad" it just surprised everyone - a hot climate generic red that is drinkable but this bottle simply did not sing.
On well.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Re: 2004, 2006 and 2008 right bankers

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Since there appears to be plenty of "there" there and the Rouget is not a typically expensive wine it might do to pick up a few and tuck them away.

I think I've had three 08s from the right bank. Gazin and Fonroque are similarly big, hard wines with a lot of there needing a good bit of taming. The Fonbel, which I believe is a minor Vauthier property was not as big or hard but also would seem to want a couple of years in bottle.

I have not had the 03 PC in quite a while. I may have one here. In any case I'll be interested in my own impressions of it when I do get around to it. Seems lately most of the notes have been downers.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Pc 2003 failed to impress me
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

2003 Pontet Canet is one of the best wines I've tasted in the past ten years.
Like that great sage Robert Parker, I think 2003 PC merits 99 points.
It is 1947-Mouton-like.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

This is what I like about Jim. Just when you think he's ready to head around the AFWE bend, he gives us a shout-out for 2003 Pontet-Canet. I happen to like the stuff too, enjoyed drinking a few bottles during its baby-fat Cali Cab stage, but I think it shut down some time back in 2009 or 2010. Wonder if it has come around? CellarTracker notes are variable. Maybe I'll Coravin a bottle to find out...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
I think we need to accept that the 03 PC is always going to be a controversial wine.
The frustration I have with it is that each bottle is so different - the previous bottle to this was much better and had that typical Pauillac dark fruit, walnuts and cedar plus a touch of lead pencil character.
This particular bottle was too much a generic warm climate red (reasonable given the heatwave conditions).
It will be interesting to see what develops.

Hound,
Not sure the Rouget will ever be a great wine but you are correct that it is a reasonable value (for Pomerol) and I think 08 showed well for right bank wines.
billfgrady

Post by billfgrady »

This thread reminded me that I recently popped the first bottle of a six pack of 2008 Moulin St. Georges recently and really liked it. I'll dig up my notes and post them. A solid 91 (or so) point wine. I am a fan of the 2008 vintage!
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Bill
The 08 MSG is probably a touch better than the 06.
Bought 6 of the 08's and not tried for some time but there is a bit more depth of fruit in it compared to 06
Drank another 06 last night and it tasted pretty good - touch of unresolved tannins but nice.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Claudius2 wrote:Guys
Not done a lot of notes lately.
Have been thru a lot of changes over last year or so and fine wine hasn't been a priority (worse luck!)
But started trying a few rhght bankers recently.

2008 Chateau Rouget Pomerol
This wine is simply not ready.
Not sure why I pulled the cork but it is a nice dark colour, more viscous than the wines above, and has a dense, smoky nose with dark fruits, earth, a gamey character and a touch of spice.
So I thought hmmmm... smells quite enticing and complex will taste good.
Well it may in five years but it is closed up now.
Not for current consumption but the structure is there for it to shine some time later.
leave 5 yrs at least.
Drink 2020-2025 I'd guess.
Checking in on the 2008 Rouget [Pomerol] at the early end of Claudius's suggest drinking age, I'd observe that was a good estimate all those years ago. The wine is nice today, still dark and plummy colored, but just the first hint of sunset at the rims. There is some wood/vanilla on the nose still, but it goes well with this thick 14% Pomerol. The tannins are still unresolved - and perhaps may never round out - but I quite like this as it is. I'm making chicken in an adobe sauce tonite and this was the cooks sustenance while prepping, so I also pick up a little fennel, anise, and peppery notes on it. I know Comte Flaneur finds Rouget to be a bit prosaic - which is a fair criticism, and one I'd extend to Lagrange - but that can still mean these are good wines. And 2008 is actually a pretty good vintage in Pomerol; I hardly bought any of the vintage because of the GFC, but the few I put away tended to be in this AOC. Easy B+, maybe even an A- if one was tasting blind, and liked 'chonkers'.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3vRkWGCAdrGGwEXUA
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Arv
Wow, I saw this thread and was scratching my head - when did I ever review these???
Things were very hectic for me in 2013, which I won't go into.

I have had the Rouget once or twice since this thread, and there are a few more in one of the wine fridges.
It showed better a few years back but I will have to try it again some time.

The wine that did improve however was the 06 MSG (St Emilion)
I drank the entire case over 2-3 years and I liked it the more I drank it. The herbal/wintergreen character softened and the wine showed better, rounder fruit.
I even ordered some of the 2016 of this en primeur.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

C2,

MSG has been a favourite value wine that shoots above its cost yearly. 08 good but 09 was superb and unfortunately last bottle drank a month back from case. Like Are I picked up a case of the 16 but it remains untouched.

Rouget has always left us wanting. We always anticipate it should please but leaves us disappointed. Not bad but expect more from Pomerol and reminds me of the old Wendy's commercial >Where's the beef>. I find la Pointe in the same price range more dependable/pleasing and La Cabanne another troublesome Chateau that doesn't inspire.

Clos Les Lunettes has been very pleasant in 09 and bought a case based on points on futures is as you say but never had the 08 to compare. It still has quite a ways to go with tannins still not evolved to my liking 11 years out and the last 6 are resting.

03 PC I know you've got a problem with but I must say that I haven't had the same experience for my palate. Yes it's maybe not the 96/00 or even the 04 but it still is a pretty good damn wine in my mind.
Danny
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Danny
I have a theory that the case of 03 PC I bought (en primeur) may not be representative, partly as every time I drink one, it tastes completely different. C'est la vie.
I was going to bring the last bottle to Bordeaux but the C-19 virus put paid to that.

Regarding the 08 Rouget, I don't think it will ever be really expressive.
I really buy very few Pomerols, partly as the prices are relatively high, possibly as the fame of Petrus et al carries along the other producers.
cheers
Mark
AKR

Post by AKR »

The 08 Rouget cost me $30 and some patience, but I thought it was a fair trade. The $50 spot they request for on the run vintages means the wine can stay on the shelf though.

By the time the recession works its way through the system, all these kinds of wines that are not absolutely cheap, nor absolute trophies, will end up getting getting blown out cheaply. Most enthusiasts have no shortage of this ilk of wine, so there is no real need to reload as economies go into free fall.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Good report to read Claudius.

Interesting to see these 04-06-08 middle class Right Bank aren't ready.

For the 2003 Pontet Canet, count me in the people that think it is a good wine, good for a 2003, but nothing near the 1996, 2000 or 2009.

Nic