TN: 64 Durfort-Vivens

Michael-P

TN: 64 Durfort-Vivens

Post by Michael-P »

64 Durfort-Vivens (4.5L – import label said 9 pints) – Imported by Schieffelin NY. Big gold label (seems not used anymore), good color and capsule, level just under the bottom of neck, solid cork removed cleanly. Not the best lighting in the restaurant but looked a good medium red with hints of lightening throughout as well as slight small particulates / cloudiness throughout. Good nose of initially a little barnyard but that blew off and nice blackberry and black cherry, pencil lead. Bordeaux alright. Very nice flavor profile, clean but slightly rustic, very solid and enjoyable sweetish mid-palette, fresh, bright with cherry, raspberry, hints of chocolate, tannins still going strong but balanced just right with fruit and acidity. A little complexity but a somewhat fast fading finish. Not exactly a watery finish, but just one that goes quick. I took off a couple points for the short finish. 89

This was a birthday celebration on August 31, 2013 with a group of good friends after attending a University of Michigan football game (Michigan won) in Ann Arbor. The group know and appreciate fine wine. Everyone loved it and generally agreed with my TNs.

Michael-P
JimHow

Re: TN: 64 Durfort-Vivens

Post by JimHow »

I think I had a Durfort Vivens once in the Bahamas. I can't remember the vintage.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Drank the '06, this is a second that is hardly ever mentioned, my bottle was fair at best, could have been sleeping, just didn't show up
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I have a couple of the 01 lying around somewhere. I think it's not incorrect to say this is an anti-Parkerized wine, at least what I've read in that regard is consistent with my single experience with the 01.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Cool beans! Sounds like an equally satisfying experience compared to my famous 1962 Pichon-Baron. I think my wine was maybe better but you had six times as much. Congratulations! Well done! There's nothing like a crazy old bottle of Bordeaux under the right circumstances.