A Vouvray, 2 Burgs, and 2 Bx.

AlexR

A Vouvray, 2 Burgs, and 2 Bx.

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

Notes are sketchy because people were over to my place for dinner. You really can’t take your time to jot down your impressions…

1999 Vouvray, tris de nobles grains, Domaine Bourillon Dorléans
This was curiously imbalanced: plenty of acidity, but it did not marry well with the sweetness, and the wine lacked depth and aromatics. Disappointing.

2005 Viré Clessé, Domaine de la Bongran, Cuvée E.J. Thévenet
I bought this in a wine shop in Lyon because the owner enthusiastically recommended it. He also said it was best to decant the wine, which I dutifully did about 2 hours before the meal. The wine was perfumed, sprightly, and with decided tropical fruit characteristics. Still, no mistaking it for a Côte de Beaune white, even if it was pleasant enough. Had held up well for its age. Still has a way to go.

2006 Nuits St. Georges, 1er Cru Les Charmes, Domaine Hudelot-Noëllat
I’ve visited this producer a couple of times and have a good opinion of him. This bottle had a very closed-in bouquet and was tannic and lacklustre on the palate, with some pruney/leather nuances. Good, but not much more than that. Is it the wrong time to drink it? If so, one wonders if there ever is a best time…

2006 Ch. La Conseillante
I’ve enjoyed this wine since it was in barrel. I’d say it is going through an awkward stage at the moment, so I’m glad I have another bottle. The wine is very well-focused and well-defined, with oak to reinforce the intrinsic vanilla/almond aromas. There’s something like “restrained power” here, and enough flavour and authority to match many a New World wine. One reason Pomerol is so popular is because it is said that it shows well young, although it will age well. This bottle would tend to support that statement, although I’ll prefer it in another 5 or even 10 years.

88 Ch. L’Eglise Clinet
This is a text book example of the word empyreumatic. I know it’s a very snooty descriptor, but it suits exactly here! Also very earthy, deep and mysterious aromas. They also say Pomerol goes well with game. Between the wine’s power and its aromatics, I could see that very well. At 25 years of age, the wine is holding up, but I have the impression I might have enjoyed it at a younger stage (the wine, not me!).

Best regards,
Alex R.
Winona Chief

Re: A Vouvray, 2 Burgs, and 2 Bx.

Post by Winona Chief »

Alex, are you sure that 2006 Hudelot-Noëllat wasn't a Chambolle Musigny? I know I've had 2006 Hudelot-Noëllat Chambolle Musigny Les Charmes a few times. While I liked it a bit more than you, I do agree that is fairly shut down right now.

Chris Bublitz
AlexR

Re: A Vouvray, 2 Burgs, and 2 Bx.

Post by AlexR »

You"re right, Chris, I had two bottles from the sameproducer next to one another in the cellar. One was a Nuits, the other a Chambolle.
The wine I had was indeed the Chambolle Charmes.

Alex