TNs: Figeac, Lafleur and Chateau Margaux

Comte Flaneur

TNs: Figeac, Lafleur and Chateau Margaux

Post by Comte Flaneur »

We drank these wines this weekend, preceded by some super whites.

Francois Jobard Meursault Perrieres 2001. This is drinking very well and starting to mature judging by the golden colour, it is absolutely yummy and delicious. Not even a hint of pox.

Raul Perez Ultreia La Claudina 2010. This is is a real class act with notes of melons and other exotic fruits. It is at least on a par with a top premier cru white burgundy.

1995 Château Figeac St. Émilion

Been Drinking these out of half bottles and this wine has notes of tobacco, leather, cedar, dark fruits and dark chocolate on the nose; it has a superb palate with cool leafy notes with hints of menthol, minerals and myriad herbs and spices. It is dense and powerful but light on its feet and lifted at the same time. This wine has fabulous poise and elegance.

2001 Château Lafleur Pomerol

Decanted for three hours this is lush, dense, full-bodied, exotic and surprisingly accessible. It presents a smorgasbord of plums, cherries, other exotic fruits, minerals, gravel, smoke and truffle notes. It is full bodied, lush, exotic and kinky on the palate, almost verging on being overripe, but the fine acidity and fine grained but powerful tannins lurking surreptitiously in the background hold everything together. This wine will probably gain in complexity and nuance as it continues to evolve over the next couple of decades. An outstanding multi-faceted wine.

2001 Chateau Margaux

This wine is one Pontallier's finest achievements in my opinion and I recently went out and bought some. It is still a very young wine and the initial attack is dominated by roasted coffee bean notes, which give way to cedar and tobacco, raspberries and violets and other floral notes, iron and minerals. On the palate it is deceptively rich and powerful but ever so smooth, silky and suave, fresh and lifted. It mesmerises you as it weaves its magic. It is so complex, refined and utterly captivating. It just oozes refinement and class.
jmccready

Re: TNs: Figeac, Lafleur and Chateau Margaux

Post by jmccready »

Nice. JM
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi Ian,

You've ceratinaly been drinking well!

1995 Château Figeac St. Émilion
This is a/an historic wine because it was Thierry Manoncourt's 50th vintage and the label is unique.
It also happens to be a very good wine, and I'm glad I have another bottle left.

2001 Château Lafleur Pomerol
Lafleur is extremely rare and expensive so I'm jealous here :-).
Sounds as though the 2001 is divine.
A much, much undertated vintage as proved by the following:

2001 Chateau Margaux
I've known this young and thank you for keeping me up to date with its current status.
Yes, the great wines from 2001 are absolutely classic.
They call them "Atlantic" vintages here: ones where the cooler weather and longer growing season account for good acidity as well as the suaveness you speak of.

All the best,
Alex
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice notes.

When I was in Bordeaux in 2004, I went to Chateau Margaux with AlexR and we tasted the 2001. While very good and very ''Margaux'' in style, the wine was showing lots of potential but was very young then. I'm happy to read it developped well.

I remember drinking the 1995 Chateau Figeac at one of Jal pool party. And even at this young age (it was in 2004-2005 or 2006, can't remeber exactly), the wine was very good that night, as was the company.

Nic
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for you comments Alex, Nic and Jim.The 2001s have been my go to vintage since I slowed EP buying. At the risk of generalising I find it so much more useful and accessible than 2000 on both banks. Time will tell of course. In the overall scheme of things the Lafleur was almost a bargain. I didn't expect it to be so accessible, and it was different to the structured and brooding 1995 tried earlier this year.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I like 2000 and 2001 with my limited experience.

It is fun to have Bordeaux wines from "great vintage" but at the same time, they are really expensive today and you have to wait them several years. At the right price, a vintage like 2001 is the " real thing".

A sidenote: today, everyones rave about 2009 and 2010, but what about those wine at 14.5, 15 % alcohol (soon some 15.5 and 16 %, in a few more vintages), while the wines from the 80's are so good, glorious, and only 12.5-13% alcohol?

Nic