What is your Lynch/Angelus/La Lagune/Pavie Maquin?

JimHow

What is your Lynch/Angelus/La Lagune/Pavie Maquin?

Post by JimHow »

There are some wines, for whatever reason, that are personal favorites.
Maybe it is just your favorite wine.
Maybe it has some sentimental significance.
For me it is Lynch Bages.
For Stefan it is La Lagune.
For DavidG it is Angelus.
For RobD it is Pavie Maquin.

What is your Lynch Bages, and why?
Tom In DC

Re: What is your Lynch/Angelus/La Lagune/Pavie Maquin?

Post by Tom In DC »

Bruno Giacosa. Barolo and Barbaresco from a different planet than anyone else.

For Bordeaux, Branaire Ducru has special place in my hierarchy.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Château la Conseillante. always been seduced and mystified by that wine, with the few vintage I've tried (1970, 1982, 1983, 1989, 1990,). Unfortunately, i don't have any left in the cellar.

In the Médoc, for whatever reason, a wine I never bought, but that generous winelovers gave me a pour many time/many vintages, I always liked, is .... Château Palmer.

But compared to you guys, I don't have "MY" Nicklasss wine. A wine I defend insanely? No or maybe you can help me?

Nic
finner

Post by finner »

Pichon Comtesse Lalande - always hits the right buttons for me, maybe is it the feminine style or the cab franc that haunts me.

Lynch Moussas - cannot really describe why. I like the label colors. 1996 made me a believer, the 2002 cemented it.
jal

Post by jal »

I second Tom's Giacosa. Even the sparkler is great , and I even had a very nice Dolcetto lately from Giacosa.

Jacques Frederic Mugnier's - it used to be his Chambolles Amoureuses when the price was around $75, now that it's $500, I have enjoyed every vintage of his Nuits St Georges Clos de la Marechale.

Difficult to point to one particular estate in Bordeaux, the prices are so ridiculous now. It used to be Lagrange and Pape Clement. Maybe du Tertre?

Montelena was my go to wine in California. I haven't taste any since the 2001 vintage..
Best

Jacques
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I think it has to be Haut Brion. I've tasted relatively few vintages and don't have any in the cellar but every glass has been something special.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Boy, Haut Brion is right up there with Angelus!
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Ch. de Villegeorge. Somehow the gold script on the indigo label suggests a secret or hidden chateau in modest but tasteful gardens outside the hustle and bustle of the lamentably modern, crass Bordeaux. Someplace Suckling or Parker, for instance, never sets foot or crumbly ash from those nasty brown ciggies. I could be wrong about this though.Besides I haven't had enough bottles of anything really to receive a definite sensation. Single bottles of some wines, big and small, have seduced me on a transient basis.

I mean I guess my answer is I don't know.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well, Haut Brion is not really the spirit of what I'm asking here.
Of course, Lafite, Margaux, Haut Brion are my "favorite" wines.
I'm talking about something different, like La Lagune, Lynch, etc., that we associate with a particular BWEer.
I mean, yeah, of course, I like Haut Brion too!
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

What is my Lynch Bages?

Well, I am primarily a Bordeaux guy, although Conterno Barolos and the likes of Ponsot from Burgogne jack up my palatial senses...

I am a left bank guy, although many, esp from pomerol give me goosebumps...

I am a Medoc guy, although many from those gravelly areas down south make me exhilarated...

I am a Northern Medoc guy, although many from Margaux and St Julien seduce me quite often...The Power of Pauillac and the Earthiness of Estephe is quite magical... :D

But undoubtedly, my Lynch Bages is the one that jacks up my palatial senses, gives me goosebumps, makes me exhilarated and seduces me as if I am in for a treat, and is none other than the one that hails from the Bages Plateau - Lynch Bages... Whichever way the wine turns out each vintage (some decent, some good, some great), it makes me wanna have it...How much ever the price turns out each vintage (some reasonable, usually high), I usually buy it affecting only the quantity (atleast until so far)...

So, there you have it... ;) Yes, it is my favorite wine, it is my sentimental wine, it is my personal experiential estate, and yes, I wish my tiny bit of ashes get sprinkled over there when I am long gone ... :mrgreen:

But Montrose and Calon Segur are my other notables, and so they do deserve an honorable mention here...
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

On the right bank Figeac, and have always had a soft spot for the older La Conseillante, a bit more unpredictable, less reliable and less corporate than the modern version...like the Rolling Stones, which used to be my favourite band...but ultimately more rewarding...harder to pick a winner on the left bank..as stefan once said it would be like choosing your favourite children..

In burgundy it would probably be Coche Dury but that is probably too rarefied to count. Certainly DRC is. I remember drinking a 1982 DRC G-E with Chasse Spleen in London and it made mincemeat of a 1982 Figeac. Chris topped off the evening with a nice impromptu rendition of 'Love In Vain' for my daughter who was just starting out learning guitar.

In Piedmont it would be like choosing my favourite niece or nephew...Tom has already mentioned Giacosa, but there are are few other nieces and nephews too that would be in the running like Cappellano, the Conternos, Roberto Voerzio, Vietti, Clerico, Roagna etc.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

For me it was Gruaud Larose. Started with the 1971, 1970, 1966 and 1962. Then it was 1979, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985 and 1986 from the Golden Age of Cordier. After that Gruaud started to lose its mojo for me. More recent vintages (1990, 2000 and 2003) are good but they don't have the same distinctive funkiness and earthy aroma that I loved.

My other go to Bordeaux is Pichon Lalande. Some of my favorite vintages of PLL have been 1970. 1975, 1978, 1979, 1981, 1982 and 1983 (really love this one). They are all mature and still doing fine. Starting with the 1986, PLL has passed Gruaud as my sentimental favorite. The 1989, 1995 and especially 1996 PLL are all rocking good. Particularly like PLL's wide drinking window. Easier to drink young than many Bordeaux in its class yet they seem to hold on for a long time.

Chris Bublitz
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Mmmmm, Lynch, Pichon Lalande, Haut Brion, you guys are making my mouth water. But Jim is correct. If there is one Bordeaux that I unconditionally, and sometimes irrationally support, it is Angelus. Recent pricing, however, is testing my faith.

Going beyond Bordeaux, in Chateauneuf it is Beaucastel, a fairly obvious choice. Or Vieux Telegraphe. The old standbys. In Champagne Krug would be too obvious so I will say Salon, or maybe PR Sir Winston, tough call. In California, Shafer Hillside. That covers my favorite areas.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Surprised Chasse hasn't chimed in yet, so I'll state the obvious.

Chasse Spleen: Chasse Spleen.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Seriously, Chris, unless you were a millionaire (still a significant amount of $$$ thirty years ago) loading up on First Growths, you had to have been crazy NOT to be loading up on Pichon Lalande and Gruaud Larose back in the 1980's. But I don't think 2nd growths can count as an object of irrational affection unless you were a Rauzan-Gassies fanatic back then.
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

Tom in DC - When did R-G go south? I ask because John Gilman suggested I try that as an example of traditional BDX.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

MatthewB,

If you're a Gilman guy, these might not mean much to you, but let's look at some of Parker's scores from the 1998 edition:

1990 - 73
1989 - 72
1988 - 66
1984 - 67
1983 - 86
1982 - 85
1981 - 74
1979 - 82
1978 - 72

You get the idea. I only ever tasted a few back then but the price was the same as other 2nd growths and seemed a very poor relative value.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Another Lynch/Angelus/Lagune/PavieMac wine was Harry's Poujeaux.
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

Gotcha...I ask as I just bought some bottles for my Dad...vintage is 1945 so maybe they made it better then :)

And hopefully the juice isn't the 1975 vintage with different window dressing and being sold as a 1945. Good, not perfect provenance. Good, but not perfect bottle condition. Decent price.

My Lynch/Angelus/Lagune/PavieMac is Gruard Larose or Chevalier.
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

For me, Angelus, Tertre Roteboeuf and, outside of bordeaux, Ridge Monte Bello. A bottle of 1990 Angelus 8-9 years ago pushed my interest in bordeaux into high gear and I've been buying since but tapering off lately because of the spiraling cost. Same cost issue with Tertre Roteboeuf but still bought a case each of '09 and '10. There's something burgundian and unique about TR that's enthralling. Finally, I have more Ridge MB than any other wine in my cellar -- my favorite CA bordeaux blend overall, rarely a vintage I don't find excellent, whether on the richer or leaner side.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Thanks, David! Yes, it is true, Chasse-Spleen would be my wine. I have to admit, however that I do get a bit lonesome for Lynch-Bages. I've tasted more vintages of that wine than any other, although all in one glorious night. It's hard to beat a great Pauillac. I also love the label and the whole idea of the wine. It has a bit of C-S in it, as it's a wine that way outstrips its ranking (or lack thereof). I wish I could afford to drink it more often. I remember a disillusioning experience when I saw it for $60 at Warehouse and thought, 'ah, I'll return for this.' Return I did but sadly they had doubled the price exactly to $120. I've been looking through some trades recently and even that number is now less than the cost wholesale.
jal

Post by jal »

pomilion wrote:There's something burgundian and unique about TR that's enthralling.
OK, I have seen a lot of different descriptions for Tertre Roteboeuf but I have never heard it described as "burgundian". :?
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

I also was scratching my head over that description, Jacques.
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

jal wrote:
pomilion wrote:There's something burgundian and unique about TR that's enthralling.
OK, I have seen a lot of different descriptions for Tertre Roteboeuf but I have never heard it described as "burgundian". :?
In many vintages of TR, something about the texture, nose, elegance and flavor profile strikes me as a little burgundian. I'm not the first person to think this -- I often see TR described that way. Here's a sampling of review snippets off the Farr Vintners website (my favorite source for free reviews):

Jancis on TR '06 (in her review of '07): "The 2006 tasted alongside looked even better: burgundian, full and easy but not harsh."

Decanter on '07: "Unique is the only word. 'Burgundian' floral, red fruit and spice aromas."

Tanzer on '07: "But this has the silky, velvety, Burgundian texture that long-time fans of this domain love."

Parker on '00: "This St.-Emilion could pass for a great Chateauneuf du Pape or top-notch Musigny, although it has more power and depth than a burgundy, and none of the peppery/garrigue characteristics of a Rhone."

Neil Martin on '12: "The texture of the tannins scream "Burgundy!" on the entry, but there is a seam of graphite threaded through the dark berry fruit that brings you back to Bordeaux."

Suckling on '06: "Beautiful fruit with a Burgundian style."

Farr Vintners on '01: "Francois Mitjavile’s creamy St Emilion is so different from the super-concentrated wines of its neighbours. This tastes like Le Pin and is the nearest that St Emilion comes to matching the fine, subtle but sweet flavours of great Burgundy. Stylish & classy."

Neil Martin on '09: "This has a supremely pure, delineated bouquet that reminds me of a Grand Cru Burgundy!"

Jancis on '09: "Rich and burgundian nose."
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Oh dear, Jacques, it looks like you haven't been keeping up with the Robinson, Decanter, Tanzer, Parker, Martin, Suckling or Farr reading assignments. I'm afraid you are going to have to stay in detention for the rest of this week and write a 200-word essay on "The Burgundian Nature of Tertre Roteboeuf," which you will present to the class next Monday. I don't want to hear about football practice, the doctor's appointment, piano lessons or the dog's snacking habits either. And as you learned the last time, the hard way I might add, I'm pretty good at distinguishing between your mother's REAL signature and a forgery. Tsk, tsk...

:D :o :D :o :D :o :D :o :D

FWIW (perhaps not much since I haven't had many bottles of it), TR never hit me as Burgundian either. Then again, Burgundian isn't necessarily a compliment in my book! :mrgreen:
jal

Post by jal »

Thank you for digging these up Pomilion. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you do homework but I feel like I understand better at this point.

My experience with the estate's wine has been limited to vintages in the 80s and 90s, I rarely drink young red Bordeaux anymore and maybe there has been a stylistic change since I last tasted the wines. The ones I've had were always lush, extracted, sexy, more fruit forward than any Burgundy I may have imagined.

Here are descriptions of the various vintages:
DavidG wrote: Copenhagen Tasting Group (CTG)
Notes Bordeaux 2009

2009, Chateau Tertre-Roteboeuf, St. Emilion, Bordeaux, France.

Pitch black. The nose is strikingly fruity and juicy, loads of blackberries, dark raspberries, boysen berries, crème de cassis, dark chocolates, dairy products, grilled meat and spices. Extremely full bodied, fragrant, powerful, strong and dense. Piercing palate presence, sharp definition and focus. A massive and totally seductive wine. 99 points.

Bjørke
Comte Flaneur wrote: Bordeaux at the Kittle House

1998 Tertre Roteboeuf , St Emilion

Oh my gosh….this is so sexy. Even too sexy! (Like the 89 was?) No, no such thing as too sexy. Give it to me. Yeah baby! A sultry temptress with coffee, chocolate, berries, like a black forest gateau (lick it off me baby)…and exotic spices. Low in acidity. High in exotic sex appeal. 92

**Apologies for that last tasting note. Normal service will now be resumed**
And from the same tasting, my note:
jal wrote:
Sexy wine, dark and ripe berries but with an elegant texture, I loved it but can see why some would say its too New-Worldly 93
And another note from me on the 1998:
jal wrote: We finished the Pape but still had steak on the plate, so I opened a 1998 Tertre Roteboeuf. This is something else altogether, dark and inky color, a nose of espresso, dark berries and a little menthol. On the palate it's just so hedonistic, rich, delicious but quite balanced. What a wine!

Hence my confusion.

David, LOL. I know this doesn't satisfy the assignment, can I please have a reprieve? :D :D :D
Last edited by jal on Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Maybe this is the reason why Tertre Roteboeuf is not a classified growth? Can you imagine the controversy: a Grand Cru Classé of Saint-Émilion (or Bordeaux) that smell taste like a Bougogne?

Nic
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

jal wrote:Thank you for digging these up Pomilion. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you do homework but I feel like I understand better at this point.

My experience with the estate's wine has been limited to vintages in the 80s and 90s, I rarely drink young red Bordeaux anymore and maybe there has been a stylistic change since I last tasted the wines. The ones I've had were always lush, extracted, sexy, more fruit forward than any Burgundy I may have imagined.

Here are descriptions of the various vintages:
DavidG wrote: Copenhagen Tasting Group (CTG)
Notes Bordeaux 2009

2009, Chateau Tertre-Roteboeuf, St. Emilion, Bordeaux, France.

Pitch black. The nose is strikingly fruity and juicy, loads of blackberries, dark raspberries, boysen berries, crème de cassis, dark chocolates, dairy products, grilled meat and spices. Extremely full bodied, fragrant, powerful, strong and dense. Piercing palate presence, sharp definition and focus. A massive and totally seductive wine. 99 points.

Bjørke
Comte Flaneur wrote: Bordeaux at the Kittle House

Oh my gosh….this is so sexy. Even too sexy! (Like the 89 was?) No, no such thing as too sexy. Give it to me. Yeah baby! A sultry temptress with coffee, chocolate, berries, like a black forest gateau (lick it off me baby)…and exotic spices. Low in acidity. High in exotic sex appeal. 92

**Apologies for that last tasting note. Normal service will now be resumed**
And from the same tasting, my note:
jal wrote:
Sexy wine, dark and ripe berries but with an elegant texture, I loved it but can see why some would say its too New-Worldly 93
And another note from me on the 1998:
jal wrote: We finished the Pape but still had steak on the plate, so I opened a 1998 Tertre Roteboeuf. This is something else altogether, dark and inky color, a nose of espresso, dark berries and a little menthol. On the palate it's just so hedonistic, rich, delicious but quite balanced. What a wine!

Hence my confusion.

David, LOL. I know this doesn't satisfy the assignment, can I please have a reprieve? :D :D :D
I read these. I don't see where it says explicitly these wines "do not taste Burgundian" once. :D :twisted:

Goota love Parker for describing a St. Emilion as a wine that could pass for a CdP or Musigny. Is that a result of globe-trotting enologists?
jal

Post by jal »

I can dig up a lot of notes on other vintages, but I guess pot-stirring-Art is right. The question is either what does Burdundian really supposed to taste like, or What kind of Burgundy are these critics talking about?

OTOH, I'm happy to open a bottle of recent vintage Tertre Roteboeuf and find out on my own
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I've had the 1995 and 1998 Tertre Rotebouef in the past year.
Not a big sample. That bottle Jackdaw brought to dinner the first time I met him and Pappadoc back around 2001 was a different styled wine, what vintage was that, Jackdaw, 1994? Something from the 80s?
I do think the 1995 and 1998 had a kind of different, non-Bordeaux quality to them, no?
They were both delicious.
I thought they were sexy but I could see where it would be sexy more in a Burgundian-sexy kind of way rather than a Parker Bordeaux-voluptuous kind of way. I mean, it's not like, say, in the Monbousquet or La Tour Carnet vein of St. Emilions.
Hey, Burgundy can be sexy too!
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Just throwing this out there and it's just an impression but it is my impression that on a per capita basis there is more sex in Burgundy than Bordeaux. There is probably a bureau or commission in France that tallies these statistics, but for now I wonder if Alex could weigh in on the question.
jal

Post by jal »

So we're going with the premise:
Burgundies are sexy
Tertre Rotebeouf is sexy
Therefore Tertre Roteboeuf tastes like a Burgundy

hmmm
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Most Burgundy is sexy.
Some right bank Bordeaux is sexy.
Therefore... It's a witch!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Most Burgundy is sexy.
Some right bank Bordeaux is sexy.
Therefore... It's a witch!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

jal wrote:So we're going with the premise:
Burgundies are sexy
Tertre Rotebeouf is sexy
Therefore Tertre Roteboeuf tastes like a Burgundy

hmmm
Brilliant!

Jacques "Descartes" Levy

QED
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Have you had the 2009 or 2010 Chasse Spleen yet, Chasse ?
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

Hilarious responses, particularly Jacques and David. Didn't mean to stir things up this much, but I'm glad I did (anything to generate discussion about one of my favorite wines)! It's hard for me to put my finger on exactly what strikes me as "burgundian" about TR -- it's certainly, in many vintages, a lush, exotic wine with (for me) hints of grilled meats, soy, coffee, chocolate, etc. (all of the tasting notes posted above ring true to me). Despite its richness, though, there's usually also an elegance and a delicacy to TR that perhaps is what appeals to me the most and seems vaguely burgundian. But I certainly understand other folks' contrary opinions. And Jacques, I didn't mean to show you up, just wanted to demonstrate the extent to which others have made the comparison, as strange as it may be. Maybe it's just what Jim says -- that there's something exotic and sexy about TR that's not overly bordeaux-ish. And, hey, it's sexy and burgundy is sexy... As a final note, I love the Parker quote on '00 TR I mentioned -- essentially he says it's just like a great CdP or a top-notch Musigny, except that it's not really like them...
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I know you guys don't need me to tell you about this, but I've always been intrigued by the 'Burgundian' label. I think it essentially refers to textural characteristics. Also, as Bordeaux is a blend and Burgundy is not, there is a certain 'altogetherness' of the texture. I thought Pomilion's notes with all the Burgundian descriptions were awesome - what a representation of the case! Anyway, for example a mature Volnay might display a certain incredibly sexy, velvety, silky texture, and when a wine that is not Burgundy gets into that sphere... I recall thinking that various great Rhones that I've tried have been Burgundian in a way. In answer to my thoughts, someone once told me that Syrah can sometimes mimic Pinot Noir and be somewhat therefore, ahem, Burgundian... At the same time, I would never expect a great left-banker to be Burgundian. Maybe a medium bodied right-banker with a copious amount of silky, sexy, velvety merlot could somehow be perceived as... Burgundian?

Jim,
I haven't tried the '07, '08, '09 or '10 Chasse-Spleen. I'm really interested in doing so, especially the '09 and '10. I love 2010 from what I've tried. I think it is better than '09. Way better acidity. A rash statement, I know. To me, there is a sameness to '09s. '10s seem to have more of the terroir intact.

-Chasse
jal

Post by jal »

:) Ian: I drink therefore I am

Pomilion, I see where you and these guys are coming from but I'm sorry, I completely disagree. I love Burgundies, I love Tertre Roteboeuf, but for completely different reasons and I have never found similarities. Never, while drinking T.R. was I reminded of any Burgundy, never while drinking a Burgundy, be it a Musigny or something lower in pedigree did T.R. come to mind. A bagel with cream cheese and lox is similar to a fish taco, but I never think of one while eating the other and I love both.

I guess we agree to disagree, but this was an enlightening discussion, at least in the sense that others may perceive nuances in wines I never imagined. No sarcasm or cynicism intended whatsoever.
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

OK a serious response:

Tertre Roteboeuf - lush, sexy, rich, voluptuous, grilled meats, coffee, chocolate, all that stuff pomillion posted - I agree.

Texturally like a Burgundy? This is where we diverge. Silky, OK they both may be silky. But the structural elements of balance - the acid and tannin component of the acid/tannin vs. the alcohol vs. the fruit equation, seems very different between TR and Burgs. TR is less acidic structurally and derives its balance from tannin, Burgs more so from acid, and TR is more fruit-driven. At least the few I've drunk.

But that's just my take. I'm not going to say that pomillion and the legions of supporting critics are wrong. Just that they have a different way of looking at it by focusing on one aspect of comparison that I find less determinative than other aspects where the wines differ.

Best lines in this thread:
Jacques: "I drink, therefore I am." Not 200 words, but you get a "Get Out Of Detention Free" card for that one. Keep drinking Jacques.
I drink, therefore I am.
I will never stop drinking.
Therefore, I will never cease to exist.
You think not? Careful... that's what led to Descartes' demise.

Jim: "Therefore ... it's a witch!"
So do we burn it or throw it in the water and see if it floats?