TN: 2007 Moulin Saint-Georges

Rudi Finkler

TN: 2007 Moulin Saint-Georges

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Moulin Saint-Georges is often one of my favourites from Saint-Emilion, but not so the 2007. Nothing really memorable, but still a competently made wine with a round mouth feel, well integrated tannins, berry flavours with some spices, and an acceptable finish...
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Re: TN: 2007 Moulin Saint-Georges

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

The 03 was a really serious and dark wine about 2 years ago. That was not exactly the evolution I predicted for what initially was a sweet, sensuous, easy-going (if somewhat tannic and slightly oaky) red berry-filled wine. But 03 is my only reference for MSG.
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

For me, the 2002 was the best Moulin Saint-Georges I had in recent years. An impressive, opulent, classically styled, black-colored wine with low acidity and gorgeous minerals, black fruits, and a long finish. Admirable.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Rudi,
Thanks for your excellent note. Also, it's really nice to see a note about an '07. I think there were about two notes in all this time on the '07s on the board, a vintage which I think merits much more discussion if not appreciation - a useful vintage, as Broadbent would say.
-Chasse
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

A useful vintage maybe, but nothing special. In my view, 2007 is the weakest vintage of the past decade. I attended several horizontal tastings and even wines like D'Issan, Haut-Bergey or La Fleur de Boüard were not up to their usual standard.