TN 1995 Ch. La Croix du Casse, Pomerol

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

TN 1995 Ch. La Croix du Casse, Pomerol

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Had one of these a few years ago and thought it was very good; this one was one of the better bottles of wine I've had in quite a while and is probably a point according to my idea of a nicely-aged Bordeaux.

This one had an overall milk chocolate vibe going down in the bouquet and on the palate, with some old oak/leafy complexities and maybe some iron/ferrous notes. Moreso than components, it was a general yummy flavor. Moreish, etc. But for me this was all about the perfect structure - the wine was rich and soft, with just the right amount of support/backbone but no sort of prickly or hard tannic sensation in the finish, which was dry and quite long. Acidity not noticeable per se except insofar as the wine was lively and vinous. So easy to drink, it may have set a record for how fast the bottle was consumed with the steaks. Hopefully I have another one somewhere. 12.5% abv.

In my limited experience '95 right bankers have been very good and drinking well for about five years now anyway.
Last edited by AlohaArtakaHoundsong on Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stefan

Re: TN 1995 Ch. Croix du Casse, Pomerol

Post by stefan »

I agree, Art, that it is hard to find a '95 right bank wine that is less than very good.
AKR

Re: TN 1995 Ch. La Croix du Casse, Pomerol

Post by AKR »

We had a 95 Croix du Casse at a B&B tonight and it was very good, and went down just effortlessly. One of those times you look around and realize the bottle is all gone, and wonder, how did that happen? Lovely, smooth texture and elements of complexity here -- some truffley notes.

Jean Michel Arcaute's wines are still so vibrant but the Almighty was jealous and called him home to make wines in Heaven!
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Had the 2000 two Sundays ago. Ripe, plummy, big, but not so special.

Alex R.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I had another 95 CdC over the last couple nights. This bottle is not as good as other examples from the same case, but is still pretty solid. It is showing more rhubarb, mint, herbal tones. It was a touchy more zippy than I recall though.

A week or two ago I pulled a bunch of Pomerols out of storage for consumption over the spring/summer, although its mostly going to be lighter wines during the heat.