2002 Haut Brion, 2009 La Fleur de Bouard, and others.

JimHow

2002 Haut Brion, 2009 La Fleur de Bouard, and others.

Post by JimHow »

With the splendid foliage season now just past peak, we hosted some relatives from the Berkshires for a feast of lobster, steak, fancy cheeses, and fine Bordeauxs.

I really loved the 2009 La Fleur de Bouard, voluptuous and rich, inky purple color, cassis and blueberries, stunning bouquet, a mouth-filling wine that will "drink well now and for the next fifteen years." 93 points.

2002 Haut Brion: Not surprisingly, my wine of the night. I actually think this beauty is drinking brilliantly now. I loved this in Dallas and I loved it again this week. A classic Haut Brion, exactly what you would expect when you add Haut Brion + 2002 (= 95 points).

2009 Clos Lunelles: Have had this twice now, will get more at $27 per bottle. Everything you expect: Modern, rich, extracted, but I just did not think it was over the top. I think this will age well for 15 years. 91 points.

2008 Gruaud Larose: Very 2008. Tannic, green, good in a Jim How kind of way but hopefully things will smooth out with some age. Not very pleasant right now. 88 points.

2005 Jadot Chassagne Montrachet La Romanee. Beautiful color but nothing pleasing on the palate. It may have been shocked a little as I put it in the freezer to chill. Still, there didn't seem to be anything there. Premox?

2006 Duhart Milon en magnum: As I've said on numerous occasions, I love the 2006 vintage because it has depth but is nonetheless light on its feet. This wine is classic Pauillac, it will age for 20-30 years but goes down so smoothly now. It seems like these 2006s never shut down. 93 points.

2005 d'Angerville Volnay Premier Cru: Got a little overwhelmed by the big boys but seemed to be emptied down pretty quickly, delicious with the cheeses. 90 points.

2003 Lafaurie Peyraguay: Did not thrill me that much, not good, not bad, just there at the end. 88 points.

And so November approaches, and the holidays, and winter, and a new year....
robert goulet

Re: 2002 Haut Brion, 2009 La Fleur de Bouard, and others.

Post by robert goulet »

How lovin the r.bank?? Wow

I have (3) d. Milon, birth yr. wines for my son, can't wait taste
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The 2010 Fleur de Bouard is available here. maybe I'll give a try.

I have the 2002 Château La Mission Haut-Brion. hope it can be as good as the First Growth.

I almost opened a 2002 Volnay 1er Cru Champans from Angerville tonight, but changed my mind a t the last minute.

Nic
jal

Post by jal »

Very nice!

You would have easily been able to tell if the Chassagne was premoxed - I would have put it in an ice bucket for a few minutes.

Nice variety of wines.I love d'Angerville's Volnays.
Best

Jacques
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

JimHow wrote:
I really loved the 2009 La Fleur de Bouard, voluptuous and rich, inky purple color, cassis and blueberries, stunning bouquet, a mouth-filling wine that will "drink well now and for the next fifteen years." 93 points.

2009 Clos Lunelles: Have had this twice now, will get more at $27 per bottle. Everything you expect: Modern, rich, extracted, but I just did not think it was over the top. I think this will age well for 15 years. 91 points.
Someone better put out an APB on Jim -- clearly someone has hijacked his BWE account! I hear Michel Rolland has been seen lurking suspiciously around NYC and Maine...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Can't wait to try the 2009 Grands Chenes this week!