TN: 2007 D’Alfonso – Curran Pinot Noir Sanford & Benedict

jal

TN: 2007 D’Alfonso – Curran Pinot Noir Sanford & Benedict

Post by jal »

• 2007 D’Alfonso – Curran Pinot Noir Sanford & Benedict - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (10/25/2013)
    This was excellent, I liked it much better than a 2010 Drouhin Vosne Romanee opened the night before.
    I expected something close to Seasmoke considering the winemaker is the same but stylistically this was very different - elegant, seamless, a little sweetness on the back end, not hot or alcoholic but very balanced iwth some delicious fruit. A very nice surprise (92 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
Best

Jacques
Jay Winton

Re: TN: 2007 D’Alfonso – Curran Pinot Noir Sanford & Benedict

Post by Jay Winton »

I've dipped back into pinots the last couple of years and have tried quite a few new worlders as buying a less than stellar burg is generally an expensive mistake. Humble mr vino thinks the US is giving Burgundy a run for its money-ok, not at the top tier levels but who, beside the billionaires, are filling their cellars with these wines? Also, the poor harvests of the last few years in the Bourgogne and Asia's growing interest aren't keeping prices down either. Approximately $25-40 will buy this quaffer an excellent pinot in the more restrained style Jacques notes above and they will improve with a few years of bottle age. Works for me.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Having just returned from a week of vacation in Oregon, I was surprised by the number of well-made Pinot Noirs that can be had for under $40, and some for under $30. As an example I was introduced to Lange PN by our flyfishing guide (he has guided Mr. Lange) - the bottle has a fly on the label, so that says something about the owner's interests. I found the 2010 by the glass on a restaurant wine list, and it was a really well-made wine. And that one is under $30.

While there are a lot of small producers out there making very nice wines, we don't get to see many of them because of their limited production.
jal

Post by jal »

An Oregon Pinot I really enjoy is Cristom, some of their single vineyards are delicious.

That d"Alfonso Curran was completely different but at $40-45 - also a bargain.

The Drouhin Vosne Romanee OTOH was $70, while I loved 2009 and 2010 regular Bourgogne, I think anything Village and above should be treated with patience.
Best

Jacques
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

and Father Stefan I know is a fan of Oregon's St Innocent which caused several bottles of the 08 vintage to slumber in my cellar. What are good vintages after the great 8 from this state?
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Both 2009 and 2010 are strong vintages in Oregon. 09 is more fruit forward and can be drunk today today. 10 will benefit (generally) from some cellar time. I think that 2011 and 2012 are not as strong.