Jancis Robinson on which Bordeaux to drink now

DavidG

Jancis Robinson on which Bordeaux to drink now

Post by DavidG »

Jancis has recently posted an article titled "Which (French) vintages to get out of the cellar". These are pretty broad generalizations, as are all such articles, but it doesn't look like she's as much of a fan of 2002 as our BD.
stefan

Re: Jancis Robinson on which Bordeaux to drink now

Post by stefan »

I have yet to be disappointed by a left bank 2002, not that I have tasted that many recently even if I have a lot cellared. 2002 right bank wines are generally disappointing, while 2001 right bankers are mostly very good.

1999 Burgundies at the 1er Cru level have finally started to come around.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

If Jancis Robinson says 2002L is weak then it must be strong.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Is Jancis the Bizarro Jim How?

I have little experience with 2002s, but the left bankers I have had have been decent, reasonable values but not blockbusters.
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

stefan wrote: 2002 right bank wines are generally disappointing, while 2001 right bankers are mostly very good.
Couldn't agree more, have had very few '02 right bankers I've been impressed with but many '01s.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

My recent experiences with 1988s and a 2002 would lend support to her views. In fact every 88 I've ever had (all four of them! - Lafon Rochet, Meyney, Beychevelle and La Lagune) in the past 8-10 years or so have been very satisfying. The Beychevelle last night was really nice, one of four or five now like it, I'm not sure what it might have lacked. I have no idea what these were like on release or in their youth but if 08 is similar patience will be rewarded. Of course 20-25 years is getting a little long to wait now for me.

Also, last week I had a 2002 Sociando Mallet. It seemed fairly evolved for an 11 year old. The bouquet was classic, the flavors were fine, and while I would not describe the wine as lean as this connotes something off-putting to me (angular, sharp) I would agree it was light or lighter-lightish. Pleasant but underwhelming. And I'm not the type who needs to be overwhelmed. I just like to be whelmed. It seemed to lack persistence or something in the finish that would have it approach the very persistent and full-flavored final that the Beychevelle expressed. Anyway that's just one recent point on an 02. I have several others at home and it will be interesting to see where they're at in another year.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I have a lot of experience with 1988s - it's our wedding year. I was a bit disappointed with the critics' early reports of a serviceable but unmemorable vintage. I bought broadly anyway. Almost all of the wines have developed very nicely, far exceeding their predicted potential. And many are still drinking well with the promise of many more years of life.