Pinot Noir with the guys

jal

Pinot Noir with the guys

Post by jal »

Last night at Apiary in NYC, to enjoy the wonderful food we brought some decent bottles with us

With grilled octopus, we started with
  • 2000 Louis Latour Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru (10/30/2013)
    Pale golden color, rich texture, powerful structure but the fruit is fading. I was never a fan of Louis Latour and the Pernot Puligny Folatieres from two nights ago is light years better. On the plus side no premox! (88 pts.)
Second flight with roast chicken
  • 1969 Remoissenet Père et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru (10/30/2013)
    Pale, very pale, almost transparent color, on the nose, it is mushrooms and dust, on the palate the fruit is still showing and the structure is sound. It is a delicious old Burgundy with a long finish. The wine falls apart after about an hour but that's enough time for us to enjoy it (92 pts.)
  • 1999 Domaine Marquis d'Angerville Volnay 1er Cru Champans - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru (10/31/2013)
    A completely different animal to the Remoissenet, dark color, fresh nose of currants, cherries, and earth, grainy texture with vibrant fruit but this is still very young and has decades to improve. The structure is good but the tannins are hiding the complexity which should develop over time. Still, that was delicious to me. (92 pts.)
Third Flight with a great selection of cheeses
  • 2009 Peter Michael Pinot Noir Le Moulin Rouge - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (10/30/2013)
    Now comes the fruit. Dark rich vibrant color, nose of extracted fruit, impeccable balance, tastes of rich black forest fruit, complex and layered, with a great backbone and a long finish. Not delicate in the slightest and I'm not sure I like my Pinot Noir in that style but this is just delicious to drink with a cheese course. (93 pts.)
  • 2010 Ceritas Pinot Noir Escarpa Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (10/30/2013)
    This wine is still very young, the color is dark and vibrant, the nose is of fruit and earth but the tannins are still very dominant and while I could tell the structure is very sound and I can sense the complexity, the fruit is hiding in the background. Give this at least five years before opening. (90 pts.)
All in all a fantastic evening with great friends and great wines.
Best

Jacques
stefan

Re: Pinot Noir with the guys

Post by stefan »

The Remoissenet was a real treat, yes?

I drank a few wonderful Louis Latour wines from the 1960s a long time ago, but have not been impressed with any from the 1970s on.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I like Apiary and like the fact that they waive the corkage fee on BYOB Mondays even more!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I really like old grand cru Louis Latours. I had a 2000 Criots for my birthday in May. And a 2002 LL RSV. The Criots was coming to the end of its plateau and was wonderfully quaint and old scholl even though it can't compete with a top premier cru from a more recent vintage.
jal

Post by jal »

Comte Flaneur wrote:I really like old grand cru Louis Latours. I had a 2000 Criots for my birthday in May. And a 2002 LL RSV. The Criots was coming to the end of its plateau and was wonderfully quaint and old scholl even though it can't compete with a top premier cru from a more recent vintage.
Interesting, Ian. I thought the Folatieres tasted much more quaint and old school than the Batard. I may be biased but I love Pernot's White Burgs.

And btw, Apiary in NYC is a wonderful venue even not on corkage free evenings. Food is just spectacular.
Best

Jacques