TN: Mostly Bordeaux, starring '82 GPL, '75 LLC and '88 Climens

DavidG

TN: Mostly Bordeaux, starring '82 GPL, '75 LLC and '88 Climens

Post by DavidG »

MOSTLY BORDEAUX, STARRING '82 GPL, '75 LLC AND '88 CLIMENS - Mr. and Mrs. Vino's (11/2/2013)

Chris B, Tom and Gail W, Peggy and I were invited to Jay and Peggy W's home to discuss plans for the 2014 BWE Convention coming to DC March 28-30. Info will be forthcoming but of course there was also dinner and popping of corks. So first things first...

I wasn't aware that I would be designated scribe for the evening until quite late in the game, so I didn't pay enough attention to recall the names of the very nice Champagne we were greeted with or the nicely typical 2007(?) Meursault that followed as we all caught up on each others' lives milling about the kitchen while Mrs. Vino was working her kitchen magic.

And magic it was. Peggy W prepared a fantastic fall feast. Say what you will about asparagus being a tough wine match. We just put our glasses aside to breathe while we indulged in a delicious asparagus soup. Tenderloin of pork, cooked to tender mouth-melting perfection and covered with an intense mushroom cream sauce followed, accompanied by roasted root vegetables. The food was a great complement to the wines and vice versa. I didn't want to stop eating. A pumpkin cheesecake and Fisher's caramel corn finished the night, and both actually matched well with the Sauternes.
  • 2003 Château Pontet-Canet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    Stored since release, perfect fill and cork. Loved this wine immediately after release but a bottle in 2010 was hot and alcoholic, not showing much fruit. Time to revisit at age 10. Dark red/purple with minimal lightening at rim. Dark berries and cassis with some road tar on the nose, but there's that alcoholic heat. Medium to full bodied on the palate, ripe fruits, more California than Bordeaux, no real complexity, and would benefit from more acid and less alcohol in the balance department. Four hours in a decanter reduced the impression of alcohol but otherwise this didn't develop much. Better than the bottle 3 years ago. I'll wait another 5 years to open the next one and hope it will develop more interest over time but right now this is no more than very good.
  • 2001 Le Vieux Donjon Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape
    Popped and poured, drunk over 4hours. Bright red to rim. Clean nose of cherries, plums, spice and flowers. Medium bodied, beautifully balanced, smooth with mostly resolved tannins, fresh ripe fruit with a bit of complexity, no fading as it finishes medium long. Drinking really well now and should continue to do so for another few years before developing a more aged profile.
  • 1998 Tenuta San Guido Bolgheri Sassicaia Sassicaia - Italy, Tuscany, Bolgheri, Bolgheri Sassicaia
    Decanted several hours before drinking. Dark red/purple. Cassis, berries, cedar, mint, floral notes made for a more complex and Bordeaux-like nose than the 2003 Pontet Canet, but not in the same ballpark with the 1982 Grand Puy Lacoste or 1975 Leoville Las Cases. Medium body, smooth palate feel, excellent balance, some nice complexity, flavors follow the nose, long finish with a bit of green peeking in but not obtrusive, outstanding.
  • 1982 Château Grand-Puy-Lacoste - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    Not sure how long this was decanted prior to drinking but it remained remarkably consistent over 4 hours. Dark red core, lightening at rim. Killer complex classic aged Bordeaux nose with cassis, dark berries cedar, tobacco and tea leaves, wet earth. Medium to full bodied, great balance, rich fruit mingling with complexities first seen on the nose, that classic sweet aged Bordeaux feel, long finish, a little tannin still in evidence, this will continue to drink well for many years, outstanding.
  • 1975 Château Léoville Las Cases - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    Decanted several hours prior to drinking and consumed over 4 hours. Solid red core, lightening at rim with just a little bricking. Killer complex classic aged Bordeaux nose with cassis, cherry, cedar, tobacco and tea leaves, wet earth. Medium bodied, well balanced, flavors and complexities follow the nose with the classic sweet aged Bordeaux palate, a little harsher finish than the 1982 Grand Puy Lacoste. After about an hour the wine turns tougher and more rustic, but then returns to its former self. I don't think it was my palate as others noted the same, and the other wines being drunk were not undergoing a similar change. This waxing and waning went on through the evening. When the wine was on it was outstanding, with fading back and forth to very good/excellent.
  • 1988 Château Climens - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Barsac
    MacArthurs purchase April 2013. Dark gold/light brown, 2 shades darker than bottles cellared since release. Perfect fill. Great Climens nose with white fruits, honey, medium to full body, palate coating sweetness and complexity, traces of caramel not found in "younger" bottles stored since release but very nice complexity and length. Should drink well for years if well stored. The prior bottle from this source had signs of seepage and a hint of mold, but all of the others, including this one, have been outstanding.
Despite all the great food and wine, Mr. Vino's irrepressible enthusiasm compelled him to open just one more special bottle: the 1996 Sociando Mallet. BWE's first WOTY. At that late hour, and particularly after the sweet cheesecake, caramel corn and Climens, my palate and brain just couldn't give it a fair shake, so no TN on that one. Perhaps Jay will add a day-after note.

We also made good progress on the BWE '14 plans. Charlie Palmer Steak is the Saturday venue. I've already made a deposit and will be putting up a thread shortly asking for people to send $$ to reserve their spots. We've got some good candidates in mind for the Friday venue and were brainstorming ideas for possible organized extracurricular activities. There is a ton of stuff to do in DC.
JimHow

Re: TN: Mostly Bordeaux, starring '82 GPL, '75 LLC and '88 Climens

Post by JimHow »

Well done. Very well done indeed.
Now THIS is a true BWE event.
RDD

Post by RDD »

Sounds like y'all got a good plan going.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

It's hard work, but someone has to do it!
A tough planning session...
A tough planning session...
Planning BWE 2014.jpg (80.4 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
stefan

Post by stefan »

That is my idea of a working dinner!

Lucie and I are very much looking forward to BWE-DC in the spring. Thanks very much for all the work you do to make it happen.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

What a splendid event, nice picture. Very interesting notes David.

Re Pontet Canet:

"...but there's that alcoholic heat...more California than Bordeaux, no real complexity, and would benefit from more acid and less alcohol in the balance department."

Tasting notes that make you go... 'hmmm'...and not with pleasure but with the feeling that your deepest misgivings are being confirmed...I had the 2004 recently and although it did not have excessive heat, I didn't really care for it. It tasted a bit contrived, but there was no doubting the quality of fruit.

Also interesting on the Sassicaia. I recently had a disappointing experience with the 1995. It smells Bordeaux-like, but as you say not in the same ballpark' as great Bordeaux wines like the GPL and LLC that you had.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Thanks again, mr and mrs vino, for hosting a great BWE event! If last night was any indication, we'll need to put a lot more planning into BWE '14 than in past years. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

This was a really great evening - many thanks to Jay and Peggy for all their efforts to put this on.

I believe the Champagne was a NV Pierre Paillard Rosé Grand Cru really nice stuff, beautiful pale pink with a wonderful aroma. I think the Meursault was a Morey (don't remember which one).

Really fine showing by the 1975 LLC. Not a wine I buy anymore - too expensive and takes forever to hit its prime drinking window.

The 1998 Sassicaia was very good. If tasted blind, I probably would have guessed Bordeaux.

The 1982 Grand Puy Lacoste is just wonderful, a classic great aged Bordeaux. Opened about an hour before dinner and decanted by Jay just as were seated at table.

!988 Climens is an old reliable - just as fine as ever. Surprised how well it worked with the cheesecake and Fisher's caramel corn.

Chris Bublitz
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

Thanks for the great notes, especially on the '03 Pontet Canet and '01 VD CdP--a couple of wines I've been wondering about a little recently.

-Michael
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

A fine evening with the local crew, our ambiance was greatly improved by the two Peggys and Gail, thanks all fo0r gracing our humble abode The Meursault was a 2007 Morey 1er cru Meursault-Charmes. I found it in a good place and the remainder still fine last night suggesting it ain't going anywhere. I'll probably hold my remaining bottles for a while. The 96 Sociando-Mallet is (1) not a pop and pour wine and (2) was the last bottle of the evening so I think these factors did not help it show as well as a recent bottle did after decanting and aeration. Chris thinks it will improve for many years, I'm not so sure. Judgement deferred today. In summary, I enjoyed all the wines, non of which were corked or flawed, IMHO. Our man about town, Chris, offered to assist me in planning the Friday night soiree, thank you! Stay tuned for more details.

I enjoyed demonstrating to Tom that the Beatles in mono are superior overall to the stereo versions. Rubber Soul was the disc played.

On to DC 2014!!
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

Wait, why would I want to listen to Rubber Soul in mono again??
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Michael Malinoski wrote:Wait, why would I want to listen to Rubber Soul in mono again??
When the Beatles were making their records in the mid 60s, stereo releases were in in their infancy. The Beatles spent a great deal of time mixing the mono release and then left the stereo mix up to George Martin who did a good job but it did not reflect the musicians' opinions. Check them both out and see what you think. To me, for this recording, mono wins hands down. YMMV.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

What a coincidence, my band mates and I were in the studio mastering our album last night and one of the guys said he had listened to Sgt. Pepper in mono. You guys will have to order our album, it came out really good!
Attachments
fff.JPG
fff.JPG (172.34 KiB) Viewed 2721 times
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

We were talking about your upcoming album, Jim - when's the release party?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Good question Tom! Our final mastering session in the studio tonight.
We already have a big press interview lined up!
jal

Post by jal »

Ok, I'll try it.
How do I play the Beatles in mono? Is it just a matter of a setting on the ipod/cd player/receiver/?
Best

Jacques
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

jal wrote:Ok, I'll try it.
How do I play the Beatles in mono? Is it just a matter of a setting on the ipod/cd player/receiver/?
No, you need to have the actual mono mix. The differences between the stereo and the mono mix for Sgt Pepper are considerable.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Jim, how about posting some mp3s?