Chasse... A question about Chasse....

JimHow

Chasse... A question about Chasse....

Post by JimHow »

What is the ageability of this wine in general?
Any thoughts on its ageability in 2020 in particular?
stefan

Re: Chasse... A question about Chasse....

Post by stefan »

By coincidence, I am sipping on 1995 Chasse-Spleen just now. It is closer to maturity than the 1995 Calon-Segur I drank last week, but in 2020 it should be solidly in its "plateau of maturity". While it is never great, I am rarely disappointed by Chasse-Spleen. I thought to save half for dinner tomorrow, but more likely I will finish the rest while watching the Tom vs. Peyton shootout to make up for having to drink Tsingtao last night.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Football is a joke. No penalties all night and then the obligatory Peyton Manning pass interference calls at the end.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

You mean 2010, right? Haven't tried it but I would assume the prospects are good. I think CS is a solid 20 year wine in good vintages. But never great? Chasse-Spleen is ALWAYS great!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Well, in 2020 the '95 will be 25 years old, and should be very good for years after then. I also have not tasted the 2010 C-S.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I've had the 89' a few times over the last 6 months and it still shows plenty of life.

Not a blockbuster but enjoyable.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

So I'm thinking of buying a case at $35.97 per bottle.
Is that a go or no go?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Sure, why not, Jim? C-S is unlikely to have done poorly in 2010 unless they have made some big changes that I have not heard about, and it is nice to have some moderately priced quality Bdx in your inventory.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I feel that... surprise, surprise... it's a buy! I'll elaborate in just a few moments but for now I must hit the road for an import appointment.. (what could be more important than C-S, you might ask?
:-0)
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

Notes on Cellartracker suggest a classic-styled wine with an overall rating of 90.2. This corresponds pretty neatly to notes and ratings for... 1994 Ducru-Beaucaillou. Just a coincidence that I was researching that wine, but it's kind of funny. Jeff Leve weighs in pretty consistently (in terms of his palate) on both wines. Of course there are many more notes for Ducru. I tasted the Gressier-Grand Poujeaux 2010, a stable-mate of C-S, that advertises its relationship to the illustrious and underrated chateau prominently on its label, along Chateau Charmail 2010 and Chateau D'Aiguilhe 2010. The GGP was clearly the wine that was built for the long haul, although the others were quite charming and showing more upfront fruit and evolution. The GGP was very balanced, full-bodied and yet holding back plenty for the future. We are selling it for $30, so at $35, I feel that Chasse-Spleen 2010 is a buy without tasting, based on Cellartracker notes and my experiences (and of course my love of the Estate!).