PC delivers....2005 Bordeaux

JonB

PC delivers....2005 Bordeaux

Post by JonB »

My last 2005 en premier orders were delivered yesterday.....2 cases of Haut Bailly. These had Diageo back labels, so presumably were not grey market wines. In the meantime, I fretted for a year or so that they may never be delivered, so purchased another case somewhere along the way and added to my superabundance of 2005s. Now I worry that Jim may claim this is a poor vintage and the market price will plummet :D Actually I do like the characteristics of this vintage, and a few qprs are starting to emerge and drink well....such as Larrivaux, Caronne St. Gemme, and Puygueraud.

I haven't posted in awhile as I was curing the accumulation habit. Not perusing websites, and a few weak vintages, have cured my impulsiveness. I no longer drool nor my trigger finger itches when an email arrives with a high 90s RP score and the word SALE.

Happy Holidays to all BWE brethren.

Jon
JimHow

Re: PC delivers....2005 Bordeaux

Post by JimHow »

Well done JonB. Very well done indeed.
Man I've been emptying out my cellar for various events, Thanksgiving, etc., and the local lawyers holiday party yesterday. i brought a 2005 Boillot Volnay, 2004 Ruffino Gold label Chianti, 2009 Haut Bergey, 2009 Larrivet Haut Brion, 2009 de Fieuzal, and 2010 Chantegrive to the lawyers party. The wines were guzzled down pretty quickly by the local bar. I'm obsessing abut buying some 2010 Bordeaux....
stefan

Post by stefan »

That's nothing, Jim. We go to OR Monday for the holidays. We left 16 bottles there already and are sending 36 more. That is not enough, of course, for the 6 1/2 of us who drink wine, but fortunately stefanJr has an 800 bottle storage unit that is overflowing.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nicely done Stefan. I've got the lawyers coming around on wine, most of them are big beer drinkers.
We'll be looking forward to the Stefan holiday reports.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2005, great bottles to have at home, as I think this vintage is the best one, compared to 2000, 2009 or 2010.

2009, more fruit, fat, less acidity and struçture.

2000, could/should be ripper.

2010, still too young, but from my 2010 Fleur de Clinet experience, ouch, surely the next to 2005.

2005, well I liked the young 2005 I had, and the balance is great, with great structure and acids. I think i need more bottle, a modern 1989?

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Good to hear from you Jon. It is hard to resist the urge to buy in the face of BWE enablement. We've been having a taste of Chicago weather out here lately, just right for a crackling fire and some nice Bdx.

I hope you and Paula can make it out to DC in the spring so we can help you with the consumption side of the equation.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

David, JohnB is a John in Seattle, JCNorthway is the John in Chicago with Paula (she speaks french, I can't forget that). From my encounters with them, both are gentlemen.

Nic
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

And David,
I must confess I like another David, family name is Bowie. And that David sang "John, I'm only dancing".

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Looks like we got hit last night.
I hate winter so much.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (182.25 KiB) Viewed 808 times
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nicklasss wrote:David, JohnB is a John in Seattle, JCNorthway is the John in Chicago with Paula (she speaks french, I can't forget that). From my encounters with them, both are gentlemen.

Nic
JonB, my apologies, that's what I get for posting after midnight. Despite my confusion, the sentiment stands. I know life has become very busy for you but it would be great to see you again.

Nic, it's worth attending a BWE event just to hear Paula pronounce the names of the wines!
marcs

Post by marcs »

Great...so judging by this experience, I can expect the last of my 2010s in 2018. Just can't resist those sales though...