Most influential wine sites

Bacchus

Most influential wine sites

Post by Bacchus »

Thought this might be of interest to people. There's one notable site missing from the list. I take it their methodology is flawed:
http://vinepair.com/wine-blog/vinepair- ... ndex-2013/
DavidG

Re: Most influential wine sites

Post by DavidG »

The Weighting: “45% Traffic Score (Alexa US Rank) + 35% Social Score (Facebook Fans + Twitter Followers) + 5% Moz Domain Authority + 10% Moz Unique Linking Domains.”

I don't understand all of that, but I don't believe that the ranking makes a whole lot of sense.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

How can it be legitimate, Suckling didn't make the list!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

The hell with Suckling, BWE didn't make the list!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

See I don't even acknowledge such foolishness.
It's okay. BWE is for the select few.
Those who "know" about wine participate on BWE.
The rest create lists and other such nonsense.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

On that we agree - foolish and meaningless. Though it feels good when you get on one of those lists.

Reminds me of the "Best of" and "Who's Who" lists that you get on. The announcement comes with an offer to buy a $300 plaque or place a $1000 ad announcing your greatness. Hmmm....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes I just got notice that I am one of the top ten criminal defense lawyers in the country last week... and I can confirm my spot for $250.

Kind of like the Wine Spectator restaurant lists.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I don't see Jeff's site on the list. Nor Squires. Does the Squires site still exist?
Nor that California site, what was it called, West Coast Wine Network? Do they still exist?
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

DavidG wrote:The Weighting: “45% Traffic Score (Alexa US Rank) + 35% Social Score (Facebook Fans + Twitter Followers) + 5% Moz Domain Authority + 10% Moz Unique Linking Domains.”

I don't understand all of that, but I don't believe that the ranking makes a whole lot of sense.
David... I follow most of those stats, but I am not as up on Socia stats as I should. Their value is harder to calculate, especially since for wine, they are quite small. I doubt even using the criteria you mentioned, the list is accurate. That list is IMO without merit, lacking rhyme or reason. You can Google Moz ranking to get an idea on how Moz works. As for Twitter, it is not how many follows that matters, it is the ratio of followers to following and who follows you that counts.

This is an International list of the most important wine websites that is put together without biases or editorial commentary http://www.cellarer.com/best-wine-websites

It has been around for years. It is updated reasonably often using Google Page Rank, monthly traffic and other criteria to rank the top 100 websites. I cannot tell you it is accurate or not, but all the sites folks have mentioned in this thread are included on the list.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I guess the issue with any of these rankings is the methodology. Which factors do you emphasize most? In addition to that, there is a distinction between sites that promote wine sales vs those that are more informational vs interactive. No one methodology will be "correct" for the various different interested parties. The list you posted, Jeff, seems to be more in line with what I would consider important, but even it has some head scratchers. Natalie Maclean - the plagiarist - at number 13???
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

DavidG wrote:The list you posted, Jeff, seems to be more in line with what I would consider important, but even it has some head scratchers. Natalie Maclean - the plagiarist - at number 13???
David... Either you edit your list or not. You cannot have it both ways. As I said in my post, the list I gave you the link to is put together using Google Page Rank, monthly traffic and other criteria. While you and I do not find value in Natalie Maclean, her website gets a lot of views and has a very high page rank according to Google.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

WCWN is still there. I haven't looked at it in years.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

I didn't see WCWN, nor eBob. Hmmmm