TNs: wines from the 22nd December 2013.

JonoB

TNs: wines from the 22nd December 2013.

Post by JonoB »

2012 Riesling Trocken, Pfalz; Weingut Mugler
olive oil, apples and a delicate fruity character. Oily, with some hints of sesame. Quite round and balanced but not as fresh as I would like. Definitely a modern style with round phenolics. Grapefruit and green apples, some white peach and jasmine. Plenty of of richness and bone dry with lots of complexity but it just doesn't really feel like a Pfalz Riesling! 62+/100

2010 Piélago Garnacha, Mentrida; Daniel Gomez Jiménez-Landi
wild raspberry and black plum, the fruit is delicate and pure with plenty of spice and earth on the finish. Some chocolate and tobacco with herbs and cardamom. Intense concentration but at the same time effortless and effervescent. Braised meat and some dark spice. Almost a liquorice note that lingers. Chameleon like. Raw tobacco and unripe tomato leaf. Balanced and fresh with soft tannins, but it feels too young. Lots going on but it hasn't shown all that it has to give. Spicy and long, I think this wine has a lot of potential. With more air it shows violets and decaying roses. Some hints of earth and plenty of Provencale herbs. Although it is too young compared to the lesser wines like Las Uvas de la Ira, it keeps drawing you in for another sip. That is a common factor with this producer I feel. 67-70+/100

Jonathan Beagle's Wine Blog
An explanation of my 100 point scoring system

Sake Consultant for SAKE@UK the Sake Import Division of JAPAN@UK

President of the Cambridge University Wine Society 2015-2016

(ITB)