05 JJ Prums have been uncorked

Chateau Vin

05 JJ Prums have been uncorked

Post by Chateau Vin »

Opened half bottles each of the following....

05 JJ Prum Wehlen Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese:

Dark straw color. On the nose, lemon, apple peel, and a hint of gasoline in the background. In the mouth, crisp and fresh with sweet apple in the front and grapefruit in the backend. Had a good creamy mouthfeel. Drinking well right now (at least from the split bottle), but laying down further might help. May be couple of years...

05 JJ Prum Wehlen Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese

Again, dark straw color. At the moment not giving much on the nose other than some apricot and apple pie. Oh wait, after cajoling, hints of pear and marmalade. In the mouth, a dynamite effort from JJ Prum. Honey, sweet apple and star fruit. Its more like a light barsac than an Auslese. Checked the label and the wine clocked just 7% alcohol, compared to the above Spatlese which checked in with 8% alcohol...Lingering finish with considerable freshness and acid...Lay them down for 4 to 5 years and one can anticipate a stellar Auslese from JJ Prum...

Although these 05 JJ Prums came in at typically higher sugar levels than other Rieslings I have had, the acid and crispness more than compensated for the sugar levels...Wow, still have that lingering finish from this Auslese...Yum...
Rieslingfan

Re: 05 JJ Prums have been uncorked

Post by Rieslingfan »

2005 was an extraordinarily ripe vintage. Nice to hear that you found the acids sufficient. I have not enjoyed 2005 from much of anyone lately, finding them flaccid at best.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

What about the '01 Prums? Ready to go or cellar a while?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

what is the theme of the 2012 JJ Prums I just purchased? I know nothing about them other than that Glenn says to hold them.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:what is the theme of the 2012 JJ Prums I just purchased? I know nothing about them other than that Glenn says to hold them.
Haven't had 2001 or 2012 JJ Prums.
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

Ok, 2001 Kabinett is pretty much ready to go. For those who like only moerate maturity so is the stable of 2001 Spatlesen. Leave the Auslesen alone for 3-5 more years.

2012 is a very good ripeness AND good acidity vintage. Based on a couple of handfuls of wines from bottle (Prum, Selbach, Schaefer, Zilliken, Leitz, Schaefer-Frohlich, etc.), it is my favorite vintage since 2001. Still a long way to go, but I am very bullish on'12 for now.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Thanks, David. It's nice to have a Riesling guru around. I'll start on my '01 Kabinetts and hold the Spatelesen and Auslesen for a bit. I tend to like them best when the sweetness is just an echo.

It also sounds like it is time to reload on '12s. The DC stores have a decent selection.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

What are the best vintages for JJ Prum in the last decade? Not overly ripe, but best balanced...
Claret

Post by Claret »

I like 2004. Plenty of acidity and detail.
Glenn
jckba

Post by jckba »

The 2010's were off the charts in my book and I can't wait to check in on them down the road.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I dive in on Germans every 5 years or so. Bought in 2001 and 2007. Missed 2010, so it looks like 2012 will be my next purchases.

Would it be a safe generalization to say that the 2012 Kabinetts will be a little sweet on release, and the Grosses Gewaches would be the place to go for dry wines? I'm not sure I even need to go to the Spatlese or Auslese level - would those wines be riper/fruitier or just sweeter?
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

Prum has been uniformly outstanding as far back as I can recall. 2000 and 2006 were maybe not up to snuff, but other than that it is all stylistic preferences based on the vintage.

As far as Grosses Gewachs, Prum make virtually zero dry wine.