2004 Chateau Gruaud Larose

Bacchus

2004 Chateau Gruaud Larose

Post by Bacchus »

2004s seems to be doing something. It wasn't that long ago that they all seemed closed. Now at least some appear to be opening up a bit. Tonight the 04 GL was in a really nice place -- either that or I was! In any event, lovely fruity nose with a slight undercurrent of barnyard and oregano. And that profile comes through on the palate too: mulberry, raspberry, current, little hints of mint, pencil lead, a little BobbyGou leather. Tannins are still there, but they're soft and in the process of integrating, providing some grip and balance with the acid, which is no longer as tart as it once was. A musty quality I picked up on earlier bottles wasn't there this time. Beautiful finish as it transitions from fruit to cedar. Not a block buster by any means, but a really nice wine to drink with food. It's refreshing rather than syrupy, a mid-weight wine. I think it would be especially good with lamb, but I enjoyed it with a savory lasagna!! I know a number of people who say they don't like GL, but I don't know how a traditional lover of claret couldn't like this wine. And Jim, it's only 13%. (Side bar: I picked up a case of these babies at $29 each, and that up here in Canada no less!)
robert goulet

Re: 2004 Chateau Gruaud Larose

Post by robert goulet »

Chalk up another solid '04
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Nice. I wonder why GL was down in the dumps there for a while. Or is it possible that it never really was in decline, that it was all a figment of His imagination?
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

If, say, d'Arenberg Dead Arm is one of your favourite wines, and HE does love that stuff, I can see why you might not care for GL. As I recall, and correct me if I'm wrong, it was the 05 GL that the merry land lawyer really panned. I've got a box of those somewhere. I might have to crack one one of these days and see how they're doing.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

RP damned the '05 with faint praise and 89 points, calling it too rustic. Rustic is one of the things I love about GL. Since the '86, only about 5 GLs have cracked the RP 90 barrier, and only the '09 hit 95. I bet you'll be happy you have that box of '05.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

The 2004 vintage is turning out very well. I had good experiences this year this year with GPD and Prieure Lichine

Re Gruaud, the only disappointing one I have tried is the 2002. The 1995 wasn't great either IIRC...otherwise it has been very solid.

But you have to say that 1978 to 1988 was the golden era for Gruaud...they went for a more nuanced style from 1989, but never went spoofy, which is why the estate was pilloried by the catterati

The 2010 sets a new bar for this estate
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

The 2010 Gruaud Larose can be had for about $85, I'll probably pick up a couple bottles.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I think 04 is a decent vintage IMO. Recently I had 04 Poyferre which I really liked. Had 04 Hosanna, which I thought was a good effort. Had 04 Montrose early this year, but thought it was just waking up from the slumber...
jckba

Post by jckba »

I had a btl of the 2004 Gruaud Larose earlier this year while out at Bobby Vans in Bridgehampton for $120 off the list and can second the fact that it was drinking well. While not the biggest nor the most complex, it was what I would call a perfect claret, an 89 or 90 point wine that is drinking and that you wouldn't confuse with anything else.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Still holding my '04s but I have high hopes. The last vintage in which I bought any First Growths - they were available for $200 if you shopped carefully. They just got too expensive after that. Though PC had a 25% off sale over the weekend with '12 Haut Brion at about $225. Closest were ever likely to come to that $200 threshold. I've learned however that there are plenty of Bdx that give 95% of the pleasure at 10% of the cost. And Gruaud is one of them.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I know but damn it if I get the chance I'm going to buy a first growth or two from 2012.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Jim if u have the cash sure it makes sense...why not get the best?....I will be be using more of S avids strategy though
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm exercising David's strategy as well Bobby but it would be nice to get maybe a single bottle each of Margaux, HB, and Mouton, I'm sure Latour and Lafite will still be out of reach. It hasn't been since the 2004 vintage that I've bought a first growth. I saw some super seconds en futuro in the $70 range as well.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nothing wrong with a splurge on some First Growths. If I won the lottery I'd probably buy a few, as the value consideration would be less of an issue. I have a harder time than I used to on spending MY hard earned money on wine that seems past the point of diminishing returns, value-wise. Maybe I'm just getting curmudgeonly in my old age, but there's no question the huge rise in prices has a lot to do with it. Now if I suddenly had more money than I knew what to do with, I'd be right there lining up to buy First Growths.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

David,

I'm with you. Ten years ago plus the search was on to seek out,purchase and sample the best wines the world could offer. Maybe I haven't had every great growth the world has to offer but I've certainly made a sigificant dent. What I've found as I'm sure many have the greatest wines of the world are phenomenal when at their best but the premium being paid has gotten rediculous. In less than stellar years the wines in my mind are a bit of a rip off. Sure the cache is there openning a Margaux,Petrus,Gaja,Quinterelli etc but there are so many beautifully crafted wines from around the world that I get more pleasure finding the $20-50 bottle that blows my mind rather than paying the big bucks out to only say "yah it was good but....$500 good??" Had this Spanish Rioja 2006 ORBEN over the holidays that was pretty special for $30 and I'd put it blind against any 2006 first growth and it would get a lot of first votes. Certainly label shoppers won't be as impressed but this is modern Rioja with balance,elegance and integrated oak. Borderline at 14% but balance makes this more than enjoyable now and should evolve well over the next decade. A wine to try if you come across it.

Danny
Danny
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Bingo Danny.

In addition, at my stage, my exploration phase has to be curtailed somewhat so I can get to drinking all the stuff that's in the cellar. Less room for experimentation. Which is a little sad, but I'm pretty happy with what I've got in stock. I haven't stopped trying new things entirely... just ordered a couple of bottles of South African Shiraz.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

When a man is tired of first growths he is tired of life.

-- J. Howaniec, 2013
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jim,

Didn't say anything about being tired of first growths. Must be a lawyers interpretation! I love first growths but not willing to pay the inflated prices these are selling for today,don't have enough years ahead of me and I have enough in the cellar to satisfy my needs before I will need a straw and drool bib!! :lol:
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

He who hesitates in the purchase of 2012 first growths for $250 is lost....