1996 St-Emilion

Comte Flaneur

1996 St-Emilion

Post by Comte Flaneur »

One of the top wines in a strong line up of mainly left bankers in a recent 1996 horizontal was Beausejour Becot, which was just a delight.

Last night we tried another 1996 St-Emilion: La Dominique

Initially quite dumb, then cool menthol notes, plums and red fruits, overlaid with subtle mineral and smoky notes. An absolute delight. Refined, silky smooth medium- bodied St -Emilion, quietly classy with the accent on restraint. Such a refreshing change from some modern, grotesque right bank creations. This is drinking sublimely well now, and should continue to do so over the next five plus years.

I am sure these wines would not have the mid-palate stuffing of their equivalent 1998s, but for those who pine for the more subtle, medium-bodied style of St-Emilion, these really do hit the spot. And they don''t cost and arm and a leg either.
stefan

Re: 1996 St-Emilion

Post by stefan »

I have drunk a number of good 1996 St. Emilions, but none have been from the right bank. Not a problem for me, but if someone is looking for right bank characteristics, buy a different vintage.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Say that again Stefan?
stefan

Post by stefan »

I mean that 1996 St. Emilion do not taste like usual St. Emilion; they are mostly good but not true. That is most likely due to the merlot not ripening very well. My guess is that the percentage of Cab juice in 1996 right bank wines is higher than usual.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I respectfully disagree. First they do taste like St-Emilions: They taste much more like the St-Emilions I have grown to love than some of the more modern creations, which bear little resemblance to St-Emilion. Like, for example, the subject of much discussion in another recent thread. Second, in my opinion they are not under-ripe; they are just not over-ripe.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I remember in the earliest days of BWE, around 2000, we discussed how surprisingly good the 1996 right bankers were. I remember drinking a lot of half bottles of wines like Beausejour Becot, Clos de l'Oratoire, Pavie Maquin, Clinet, Pavie Decesse, etc. They were surprisingly good in that year where, as He put it, "the cabernet sauvignon ripened to perfection" on the left bank.
stefan

Post by stefan »

It is interesting that we disagree, Ian. I was comparing to classical St. Emilion, not these modern wines that get their 15% alcohol from grapes from CA.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Don't know what to make of this discussion but there are a few 1996 right banks that I have really enjoyed - particularly Angelus and L'Eglise Clinet. Maybe a little on the ripe side but I sure thought they were great. Of course I'm just some old fool so feel free to take anything I say with a grain of salt.

Chris Bublitz
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

"Maybe a little on the ripe side" - as in a bit too ripe Chris? Thats contrary to conventional wisdom as expressed by stefan.

But I think the disagreement is more about whether or not the 1996s are typical or untypical of 'classical' St-Emilion.

Thinking back one of my favourite wines, which I finished a half case of about three years ago, was Tertre Roteboeuf 1996. It was a super wine, and much more toned down and agreeable than the 1989, which featured at the NYC 1989 horizontal in 2009. It was recognisably a St Emilion.

Hope you all had a great Christmas. I drank a 1995 Figeac with beef on the bone. I didn't enjoy it as much as the Dominique.