The Christmas wines have been uncorked....

JimHow

The Christmas wines have been uncorked....

Post by JimHow »

My brother Tom is working at the paper mill tomorrow night so we are celebrating Christmas an evening early. Just finished wrapping the last of my presents, a GoPro action video camera for my nephew Jack.

Just uncorked a 2001 Staglin Family Vineyard and gave it a small taste. Remember when Ralph Cramden used to go... Woooooow! I think I'm going to set that puppy aside for a while, all 14.8% of it... now THAT'S what I call upfront alcohol! Should be interesting with the roast beef meal being prepared by the chefs in the family, beef tenderloin with roasted shallots, bacon and port.

Also coming up on deck:

1998 Ducru Beaucaillou, 2009 de Fieuzal, 2010 Chantegrive , 2005 d'Angerville Volnay Premier Cru, and 2004 Ruffino Gold Label.
DavidG

Re: The Christmas wines have been uncorked....

Post by DavidG »

Sounds like a great evening ahead, enjoy!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We've each opened one present before dinner, the kids got me some coasters made of cork with prints of wine bottle corks on them, I can't describe it I'll have to take a picture. The de Fieuzal and the Bourgogne are pretty much emptied out, saving the Staglin and Ducru for dinner.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We've had an epic ice storm up here the past two days, the worst since the Ice Storm Disaster of 1998. It been a rough December! Lewiston's Farmer's Almanac is predicting a blizzard for the Super Bowl. Who's bright idea was that anyway, a Super Bowl in NJ?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Just took another little pour of the Staglin Family Cellars. Wow! This is some kind of wine!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

My niece Samantha just turned 21 so now she can officially drink with us, I just poured her a little 98 Ducru. Boy you have two very different wines there in the case of the Ducru and Staglin.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Watching "Polar Express" while waiting for the tenderloin to roast. Five more minutes the chefs say while I entertain the kids in the living room, glass of d'Angerville in hand, I asked Jack what he wanted for Christmas he said he wanted an X Box 1, whatever that is, I told him I'd get if for him for his birthday in March. Eight year old Anna, going on 13, is getting a lot of clothes this year, it was all dolls up until last year. The Polar Express has just arrived at the North Pole, looks like there are about a hundred thousand elves greeting the arrival of Santa. The Burgundy is finally opening up, it was pretty closed up, those 05 Burgs are much more closed than the 07s.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

What is the story with these elves in this movie by the way?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Omg this Staglin is crazy. It is amazing.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Amazingly good or amazingly bad, Jim?

It sounds like you are having a great family Xmas, as are we. Tonight we have Zin with ribs that stefanJr and Judd have cooked all day.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

A 96 pointer that California wine, Stefan, absolutely stunning. Getting ready for dessert. I cleaned house on the Christmas presents: Two sets of coasters, a package of refrigerator wine magnets (I really need some!) a calendar with monthly pictures of Jack and Anna, a fleece sweatshirt, and a Dunkin' Donuts mug that can be redeemed for a year's worth of coffee on Sundays. Jack is very excited about his GoPro action video camera. He's ten but he wants to be a film director and major in film at NYU. At his mother's suggestion I got Anna a silver necklace with the word PEACE, it's her first necklace, I told the girl behind the counter that I have a niece who is 8 going on. 15, smart , sassy, socially conscious. A real brat. These kids are so smart. Well off to the kitchen, to see what kind of wine and chocolate dessert concoction is being cooked up.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Jim, Merry Christmas to you and your family/friends.

I'm working tomorrow, but will be ok to have a nice Christmas evening with the kids and my family.

I bought 2 bottle of the 1998 Staglin in Napa 2002 convention, to bring back home. Both were superb California Cabernet.

I don't know yet what i'll bring to my father's place as wine. Still have 20 hours to go.

Nic
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

Sounds really nice, Jim.

I'm pretty sure I've posted a note on the board regarding the 2002 Staglin, which was pretty damned special, IMO. Do a quick search if you're so inclined (after the chocolate dessert is done!).

We're going with Ducru Beaucaillou for Christmas dinner here, as well. Have the '81 to go alongside an '81 Duhart Milon. Back-ups likely required, but it should provide a bit of fun with the venison loin a la Charlie Trotter...

-Merry Christmas to all, Michael
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That Staglin wine was an eye-opener for sure Michael, what a beauty.
It was a cold night with no power last night, I have a feeling power is going to be out for a while, a lot of trees and branches down. A nasty ice storm just kept lingering for two straight days.
It could be a Christmas Eve sleeping here at the law office! Ah well, I've gotta finish a memo on the rate of absorption of alcohol for a manslaughter case anyway.
Looking forward to your notes on those 1981s, it's been a long time since I've had an '81.
Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Merry Christmas, Jim; and to all other BWE too. It sounds like you've got a really great family, Jim.
I see from the weather report that your storm is due here sometime tonight! Thanks for that.
This evening we'll be at the home of some very good friends for Christmas Eve dinner. They're really good people, but not that into wine. Based on past experience, it'll be the finest $10 Chardonnay available! :-)
Funny you've got Ducru lined up for Xmas dinner. We too were thinking of Ducru, only the 2004. Well the 04s seem to be on a roll right now, so I thought I'd try another.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

A merry and safe Christmas to you and yours, Bacchus, be careful with the storm, this was a nasty one. Power is still out here at 4 pm on Christmas Eve, I think it's going to be a while. Looks like I'll be sleeping at my father's house tonight. During the Ice Storm of 1998 we lost power for nearly two weeks .
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

JimHow wrote:That Staglin wine was an eye-opener for sure Michael, what a beauty.
It was a cold night with no power last night, I have a feeling power is going to be out for a while, a lot of trees and branches down. A nasty ice storm just kept lingering for two straight days.
It could be a Christmas Eve sleeping here at the law office! Ah well, I've gotta finish a memo on the rate of absorption of alcohol for a manslaughter case anyway.
Looking forward to your notes on those 1981s, it's been a long time since I've had an '81.
Hope you get power back quickly. We lost power here on Christmas once about 20 years ago - and Peggy was just a couple of days postop neck surgery. We ended up going to the local Hilton.

So the memo on alcohol absorption: is that you, alone in your office with your computer and a magnum of '89 Lynch and a breathalyzer?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Our Xmas Ducru will be a '78. It will be fun to compare notes.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

No Ducru here in Ottawa but thank God that ice storm swung south of us and dumped its fury on on the north eastern States and southern Quebec. Toronto is suffering with many areas without power and thankfully my family has heat! There is never a good time but Christmas makes you wonder what message that guy is trying to put forth at this time of the year.

Quiet evening just the two of us to unwind after a hard two days at the office cleaning up for Christmas. Dinner is over and what a treat with everything as good as it gets. Rack of lamb with dijon/panko/herb crust and demi-glace raspberry/rosemary/cognac sauce to die for along with garlic mash/lemon zest asparagus. When a meal comes together nothing better than a good wine to match. Pulled a 99 Conseillante and felt it was mildly corked but still drinking well. Wife wasn't convinced wine was off but I had to prove a point. This wine even though for most would be a joy it was just lacking. Back to the cellar and grabbed a second bottle and apart from being on the cool side and needing to open up what a difference. This wine is as good as it gets. Great match with the meal savoured the last glass with chocolate brownie for desert. Not whoopie pie but still held a little magic.

Merry Christmas to all BWE'ers and their families,

Danny
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Merry Christmas Danny.
The power is back on here in central Maine!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yes, that is the best way to prove to doubters that a bottle is corked.

Merry Christmas!