TN : 2005 Chateau Brown

Nicklasss

TN : 2005 Chateau Brown

Post by Nicklasss »

What is that wine? Never heard the name? Never read anything about it?

In my search for affordable-nice-to-drink-complex-interesting-05-Bordeaux, I bought 3 bottles of the 2005 Chateau Brown, a Pessac-Léognan. As everything is good in the ''super great'' 2005 Bordeaux vintage, I want to buy a few 3 bottles sample of different Chateaux, that are less expensive than the Cru Classé.

So tonight, with the Boston steak on the BBQ, I decant that wine 2 hours ahead. From start, it was a bit dumb. But we know that Pessac-Léognan are less demonstratives than the Right Bank. That wine is 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37 % Merlot and 3 % Petit Verdot. Cabernet is dominating, for sure. Color is dark red. Nose was closed at first, opened after 3 hours. Nice Cabernet nose, with gravel, soft spices, smoke, dark berries, light blackcurrants and typical raisins. In mouth, that wine is great... with food and 3.5 hours of air. Nice attack on dark cherries, sweet spicy rasnerries, sandalwood, tobacco leaves. Final is medium to long, with the austere minerals from Graves, plums and ripe medium tannins. Sticky. A negative thing, I can feel the 13.5 % alcohol on the final, slightly warm final. Yes long, but warm. Anyhow, for the price, it is a really interesting wine, really good and really typical from Graves. I'm happy i have 2 other bottles. That should age nicely. TN : 90+.

When I drink that, I'm thinking that for 37 CAN$, it is a super buy. But of course, it is not a seductive or overripe style. But try it and tell me what you think. I'm sure that if you analyze it, with food, you'll find it really good. And yes, they have some 2005 Chateau Mouton Rothschild here at my local SAQ (wine store)... at 995 CAN$... hey are you crazy?

Nic