New Year's Resolution

RPCV

New Year's Resolution

Post by RPCV »

After a few years of enjoying this forum, I will commit to posting my bordeaux experiences...please excuse any formatting errors as this is new ground.

New Year’s eve dinner

1998 Chateau Beauregard Pomerol

This was a perfect match for roasted lamb chops. Dark red color, discreet, earthy aroma and soft, but noticeable tannins. Palate-cleansing acidity...which I love in a wine.

1994 Domaine Zind Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Clos Windsbuhl

Alas, the last of a lot purchased on release. With foie gras, brioche toasts and sautéed apples. Dark golden color. Classic lychee and rose petal aromas, round and full mid-palate and a super-long finish. Great match with the dish and only 13.5% alcohol. A taste on day three indicates this bottle could have gone a few more years.

2002 Domaine Huet Vouvray Pétillant

Served as an aperitif. No pre-mox issues here. Just a lovely bottle of wine that was better on day two, having a more rounded finish.

Christmas Holiday wines

2000 La Dame de Montrose

This has continued to please us. Classic Bordeaux and a beautiful, understate wine.

2000 Labégorce Zédé

Served with roast beef. This is a lovely Margaux wine. Light-bodied, elegant, fresh and very balanced. I will serve future bottles with something lighter though as the beef wasn't the best match.

2000 Lafon Rochet
Served with roast beef as above. A bruiser with roaring fruit aromas (a hint of Ludens cherry cough drops), full palate and a long finish. Somewhat gritty tannins, but a great match with the beef...crowd pleaser.
Nicklasss

Re: New Year's Resolution

Post by Nicklasss »

Welcome on the BWE community, RPCV.

Nice post, and it is a good résolution to start postions on BWE.

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

Welcome to the posting section of BWE, RPCV.

Labégorce Zédé is one of those nice Bdx that are under the radar screen because the mass out there are looking for power wines. I agree that it goes much better with lighter fare. Try it with e.g. chicken soufflé.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Thanks for the notes RP, and welcome to BWE.
It seems we rarely see a disappointing note about La Dame de Montrose, I think I need to get a bottle sometime.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Welcome RPCV. NIce notes on a bunch of nice wines. The Beauregard and Lafon Rochet both sound like I'd love them.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Labegorce zede fan here....welcome sir
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

I have a 2000 Lafon Rochet in the cue so thanks for the note. Obviously, no rush to drink.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi RPCV,

Many thanks for sharing your notes and a big welcome to this forum.

I have had the 2000 Labégorce Zédé twice in the past 3 months.
I decanted the first bottle (enjoyed in September) for three or four hours prior to the meal and it seemed a bit tired and tertiary at the expense of fruitiness.
But, lo and behold, just this past Monday I opened a second bottle and served it immediately after decanting.
I don't know if this different method of serving was a major factor or not, but the second bottle was much more as you described it - a different animal.

Labégorce Zédé has ceased to exist. It was bought by neighboring Labégorce in 2005 and, as far as I know, is now incorporated into the latter.

Best regards,
Alex R.
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

Thanks. I have a 2000 La Dame de Montrose in the queue.