Holidays are over, back to a serious mood

Nicklasss

Holidays are over, back to a serious mood

Post by Nicklasss »

I did not had enough rest to recharge my battery, but I'm surely in better shape now than on the December 24th. While I'm sipping the last glass of a bottle of a 2004 Ridge Lytton Springs, I'm thinking that 2014 will be full of great and hard times. Another tough year at the Job, Simone will start school in the fall, the BWE convention at the end of March, 3 kids that are get thing older and always demand more, maybe a visit of Jimhow to Québec, I also need to go somewhere sunny in 2014...

2014, the year of my 40 years old, I now consider half life done...(by the way, I'm not saying that to discourage any body, but 80 years old, or just a bit before, seem a good age for me to go. alzheimer, parkinson, other degenerative sickness, Please not for me). But I know a lot of the best has still to come.

That 2004 Ridge Lytton Springs doesn't seem a bottle in perfeçt condition for me. Lots of sediment in there. The color is still dark red, but with a touch of orange on the rim. Nose is a bit like port, with half-dry grapes, dark red berries, redcurrants, a bit of spicy but a soft and not very powerfull nose. In mouth, a bit better, but red berries flavors mainly, acidity (first time I notice a high acidity in a Ridge zinfandel), wood, maybe flowers, a light mouth too. Not very long, with red licorice. Ok, but If kept for a longer term, I don't think that specific bottle would have a long run... TN: 83.

Nic
stefan

Re: Holidays are over, back to a serious mood

Post by stefan »

Your description of the Ridge Lytoon is consistent with a 15 year old Ridge Zin. I have not had a bottle of '04 that tastes like yours.
The last two nights I drank a bottle of '02 Ridge Geyserville that aged ahead of its curve. I like that old Ridge zin blend character, with raisins and other dried fruit and tobacco nuisances, but I think most people prefer younger fruit in zinfandel.
jal

Post by jal »

A little melancholic, Nicolas? I think you're not drinking enough good red wine. And stop worrying - 40 is the new 25. Which makes 55 the new 30 (and there's nothing wrong with my math)
Best

Jacques
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Thank you Jacques as I turn double 5s next month.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Jacques: Better check with Stefan re your math.

Nick: Sunshine? Why not do a BWE Napa trip? Guests welcome.

Michael-P
jal

Post by jal »

Michael-P wrote:Jacques: Better check with Stefan re your math.
Michael, according to my math, Stefan is only 17, I wouldn't trust his math. Come to think of it, I don't trust his TNs either, I don't know if he's even allowed to drink yet.
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

Lucie pegs my (mental) age at fourteen and a half, Jacques.

This year I turn 70, which is the new 40.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We'll see you at least twice in 2014, Nic, to drink some fine northern Medocs and celebrate your 40th!
jal

Post by jal »

Jay Winton wrote:Thank you Jacques as I turn double 5s next month.

Happy early 30th birthday, Jay
Best

Jacques
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

I'm not a huge fan of 2004 Lytton. It seems less than ageworthy to me. I was offered mags and passed because of that.

I sure hope 40 is not the half way. I hit 47 in 14 days! Though I have said that if I am ever told I have one of those rotten, degenerative conditions that I will ASAP hike to a high peak and jump off the other side. Die in the mountains! Maybe a few glasses before I step off.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, one of my lawyer buddies and I visited the old janitor who used to work in our building until he was like 87. We saw him in the nursing home, age 91, wracked with pneumonia and not eating. If I'm ever in that condition I hereby authorize any of you to come to Maine, sneak into my room, put a sip of 1989 Lynch Bages to my lips, and suffocate the final breaths out of me....
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Jim,

You are an attorney. Could you put that in writing such that we can act upon your wishes?! And could you draft a second copy for me to sign with a blank field for me to fill in the wine? :)
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes! I trust you completely JCNorthway!