Is Jeff Leve the next Robert M. Parker, Jr.?

JimHow

Is Jeff Leve the next Robert M. Parker, Jr.?

Post by JimHow »

So I got my most recent edition of the Wine Advocate in the mail the other day.
I spent about three minutes leafing through it.
I can barely remember what was in it before I tossed it in the trash can.
I do remember there were three sections on three different wine regions.
Parker wrote the first section. (Was it on California? Northern Rhone? I honestly can't remember.)
The other two sections were written by two other writers, I can't remember their names, one was "Jed" or "Jeb" or something like that. I think one of the other writers wrote about Spain.

So who is going to be the next He Who Shall Remain Nameless?
I finally got around to looking at Jeff's website recently:

http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com

Wow! Dynamic! Thorough! Provocative!
Great photography!

Sure, his writing style can be acerbic, that may not be for everyone's taste.
But who else is the heir apparent to HWSRN?
He's American.
He seems partial to the Parker style of winemaking.
He's a wild-eyed defender of Bordeaux.
He's obsessive-compulsive.

Who is the next market-shaker?
Obviously, it's not Jimmy Suckling.
Tanzer? Good writer, but he seems more professorial to me.
Leve has Hollywood in him.
As screwed up as America is right now, I think this country is still up there in setting styles, tastes, pursuit of the good life (for better or worse).

So...
When the old man moves on....
Who takes over ?
I'm just not seeing him of her as coming from the UK or the continent.
The next HWSRN is not going to come from Asia.

Who then?
If not Leve, whom ?
stefan

Re: Is Jeff Leve the next Robert M. Parker, Jr.?

Post by stefan »

BD, I also think that Pomerollover is currently the best wine writer on Bordeaux wines. But to establish that he deserves to be recognized as such, he should come to a BWE annual event. No one who has not intermingled with BWEers deserves the accolade of "best Bordeaux wine critic".

How about it, Jeff? Can you stand the pressure of coming to BWE-DC 2014?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I mean, to truly be considered in the rarefied air of Bordeaux legend, he surely must be required to feast on le pie de whoopee....
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

You kids are funny. Plus, I thought the only state where pot was legal was in Denver :D

If you have an event on the west coast, where it's closer to 80 degress in the winter, it would be easier for me to come to an event. Plus, you always have them during the EP tastings. I'll be in BDX when you are having your dinners.

As for life after Bob, I would bet dollars to donuts Neal Martin will take over from Bob in a few years. Jim, you will probably like his taste. He has a traditional British palate.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

No, it is not Jeff Leve.

It will be our own BWEer, Mr. Malinowski...

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

There will never be another wine critic who approaches the dominance of Robert Parker.
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

Jeff Leve wrote:As for life after Bob, I would bet dollars to donuts Neal Martin will take over from Bob in a few years. Jim, you will probably like his taste. He has a traditional British palate.
Parker, in my view, would significantly add to his reputation and legacy by having Neal succeed him -- not only is Neal an engaging writer with a good palate but also, as Jeff mentions, his taste in Bordeaux is somewhat different from Bob's and it would be nice if Bob didn't feel compelled to have someone with identical taste replace him when the time comes. I enjoy Neal's reviews and commentary -- he's the primary reason I still subscribe to TWA.
JonB

Post by JonB »

RMP most likely has a few good Bordeaux and California reviews still remaining, although health issues are hard to predict. There will not be another RMP....at least of his ability to influence demand, be recognized as such an authoritative opinion, and raise public consciousness of wine (world wide). As far as who writes the Bordeaux beat for WA....wasn't the editor's take that wine reviewers aren't hard to find? Where RMP was looked at as an authority, now there are many opinions on the web.
I like Martin, but it is hard to see where he fits in. Successors? How about Squires? If wines from Kathmandu and Christmas Island become vogue, his popularity will double or triple.

Winecellarinsider is the best website of its type for Bordeaux, Imho. Kudos to Jeff.
Last edited by JonB on Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I think the notion that there has to be someone to take over mantle of Parker when he retires is probably mistaken. It is unlikely that anyone will have the influence of Parker when he decides to hang up his laptop.

There will be great writers out there like Jeff and Neal, but no-one will have the same kudos as Parker had. Nobody will be able to move markets like Parker did.

When Elvis died in 1977, nobody replaced him as the King. Nobody could step into his shoes.
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Comte Flaneur wrote: ...There will be great writers out there like Jeff and Neal, but no-one will have the same kudos as Parker had. Nobody will be able to move markets like Parker did...
Fortunately... :)
tim

Post by tim »

Jeff, if you are ever in Paris while swinging through to Bdx, let me know, would be great to open some wines...

(Of course that goes for any BWE-er visiting Paris!)
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Jim I want what your smoking
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Nicklasss wrote:No, it is not Jeff Leve.

It will be our own BWEer, Mr. Malinowski...

Nic

+1 (A totally unbiased opinion ;) )
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

There are an amazing number of credible and talented wine critics coming up through the ranks to join those who've been at it now for many years. But with the plethora of wine blogs and sites like Jeff's, the power of crowdsourcing reviews from places like CellarTracker!, and just the general globalization of information, it's hard to see any of them breaking through and truly dominating the way RMP has because there are just so many sources to turn to now. The future probably lies in specialization (e.g. Burghound) and segmentation more so than what others like Suckling or Galloni might try to be doing to recreate the Wine Advocate model (albeit online/more interactive).

For Bordeaux, I do enjoy reading Jeff's stuff, as well as Neal Martin. And there are a bunch of professionals I really like to consult regarding EP tastings. Really, with Bordeaux, that's sort of what it all comes down to is EP. And that is why a schlub like me who writes wine notes for fun will never ever be of much value. You have to be committed (as Jeff has become) to spending time on the ground and in the chais in Bordeaux. And you have to learn how to taste barrel samples. I, for one, am terrible at judging young wines. And I don't really enjoy drinking formative wines that much. And I sure as hell refuse to spit! I think most amateurs are in the same boat.

So, whoever may someday replace RMP in terms of influence in Bordeaux has to first and foremost be able to project credibility regarding their EP and early in-bottle tastings. Vintage analysis and insight, breakthrough thinking, story-telling, a thick skin, great writing, an ability to speak some French, a big ego/confidence in your convictions, etc. are crucial to the mix, too. That's a lot of requirements to fill before anybody can fill Parker's shoes...
marcs

Post by marcs »

Jeff almost always grades within a point or two of Parker, and he has the same 'gobs and gobs...palate coating...60 second finish!' writing style. So in that sense he's already the next Parker. Market influence, not so much.

Speaking of Mr. Leve's influence, he is invariably responsible for half or more of Cellartracker reviews of en primeur Bordeaux for the first few years after harvest. I try to take that into account when seeing all the 98 point scores for high-level Bdx before they reach our shores. If four or five of the six or seven reviews are from Jeff there is a pronunced Parker bias.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

I agree with the posters that stated there is in truth, no replacement for Bob. The market does not have the interest in supporting one name. It will be divided among several different people, and probably become more focused on tasters for very specific areas. For example in Bordeaux, people could read more about Pauiilac from one source and Pomerol from another.

marcs wrote:Jeff almost always grades within a point or two of Parker, and he has the same 'gobs and gobs...palate coating...60 second finish!' writing style. So in that sense he's already the next Parker. Market influence, not so much.

Speaking of Mr. Leve's influence, he is invariably responsible for half or more of Cellartracker reviews of en primeur Bordeaux for the first few years after harvest. I try to take that into account when seeing all the 98 point scores for high-level Bdx before they reach our shores. If four or five of the six or seven reviews are from Jeff there is a pronunced Parker bias.
Marc... That is sort of correct as far as the number of notes go. But there is no Parker bias. My taste is my taste. All my tasting notes are published before Bob releases his report. I do share the same level of enjoyement in many, but not all of the same wines. But there is no bias.
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Jeff Leve wrote:I agree with the posters that stated there is in truth, no replacement for Bob. The market does not have the interest in supporting one name. It will be divided among several different people, and probably become more focused on tasters for very specific areas. For example in Bordeaux, people could read more about Pauiilac from one source and Pomerol from another...
I agree, Jeff. When Parker began to publish in 1978, Bordeaux was unquestionably the most famous wine region on Earth and only a handful of wine writers, mostly British, dominated the wine writing world. Things were pretty simple then...

But the world has changed dramatically since that time. Bordeaux is no longer the benchmark of quality that it once was. Science has given the winemakers around the world many sophisticated tools to handle any difficulty, and the internet has made the world a global village where everyone can participate on forums, blogs or other social media. Today, there are hundreds of thousands of good wines around the globe, and thousands and thousands of enthusiastic professional and non-professional wine writers. Under these circumstances, even a talented young Parker wouldn’t have the chance to become the most influential critic.
In other words, there will be hundreds of influential wine writers in the future, and the influence of professional critics will fade...
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Jeff, I enjoy your notes and they have guided me with some purchases in the past. Further, you respond to posts here, even the critical ones, which I greatly appreciate! With classified Bordeaux prices the way they are these days and the growing market share (I'm talking Asia here), I need all the help I can get.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Interesting points, Rudi. With the way the world has changed since 1978 internet- and mass-media wise, there will probably never be another Robert Parker out there. Some experts out there think that the Watergate scandal would never have occurred in today's era, that Fox News and the radio talk show guys would have shouted down anyone trying to investigate it, etc. Would the Beatles have had such an impact in today's world? Einstein? MLK? I say they would not.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, Jay, but is it in Jeff's best interests to be the "bad boy" of Bordeaux? The "infamous" Jeff Leve?
I mean, I ask that question in all seriousness.
Myself, I think the answer is yes.
I think it is in his best interests to continue to be acerbic, cutting, a borderline asshole.
Why?
Because that's who he is. That is what differentiates him from the more jolly Robert Parker.
That is one of the ways he has set himself apart, distinguished himself from the crowd, made his mark.
Now, I could be wrong about all that. If he is going to become the next He Who Shall Remain Nameless, he may need to become bigger than the pettiness that often exists on the internet. He may need to be above criticism. But I don't know. I honestly don't know what it would take to become the next HWSRN.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

JimHow wrote: If he is going to become the next He Who Shall Remain Nameless, he may need to become bigger than the pettiness that often exists on the internet. He may need to be above criticism. But I don't know. I honestly don't know what it would take to become the next HWSRN.
Honestly, I have more than enough trouble being the current Jeff Leve, let alone the next Jeff Leve. Bob Parker, who I like and respect remains for me the gold standard of wine reviewers. His efforts and results changed wine and the world of wine for wine lovers of previous and future generations, and in my opinion, a view that is not shared by all, for the better. Wines are better today than ever. They are cheaper too. Of course the big names have become more expensive, such is life. I get to drink First Growths, I just do not get to buy them. But there are more choices today than ever before at all levels of wine for consumers.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

Rudi Finkler wrote:Bordeaux is no longer the benchmark of quality that it once was.
Sorry, but I do not agree. Bordeaux remains the benchmark for quality in the wine, and for wine making techniques. The majority if innovations today come from what takes place in Bordeaux.

In other words, there will be hundreds of influential wine writers in the future, and the influence of professional critics will fade...

Fade... Absolutely. But critics will remain important for many reasons. Some are very good tasters, which is something to keep in mind. Also, with prices being what they are, critics get to taste wines before most people have the chance to taste them. With prices as they are, it's nice to get an idea on what the wine is, or is not. Consumers do not need a critic to discuss older wines, but for young wine, at least to me, that is where it counts.

Buying a wine you like in a vintage you have heard good things about is not the best idea, especially when it's costly.

I know that I am lucky to be able to taste more young Bordeaux wines than almost every critic out there. I hope for some people, that it helps to see a consistent set of tasting notes on wines from someone before you buy them.

Clearly I like some wine styles more than others. If you share the same values, you will find help following my suggestions. If you do not like the same wines, I am also helping you avoid them.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

Jay Winton wrote:Jeff, I enjoy your notes and they have guided me with some purchases in the past. Further, you respond to posts here, even the critical ones, which I greatly appreciate! With classified Bordeaux prices the way they are these days and the growing market share (I'm talking Asia here), I need all the help I can get.
Thanks Jay! I try to respond because it's not fair to dish, unless you can get dished as well. Plus, as I said in my previous post, I know I am lucky to be able to taste so many young, and a lot of older wines each year. I really try taking the time to write up comments as often as possible and share them. My site has not only a wealth of tasting notes, but hopefully interesting facts, data points and photos giving you an idea on what is really taking place.

Asia is not the sole blame for price inflation. It is more complicated. There are more people that like wine today than at anytime in the past... and they have more money to spend. Negociants continue opening new markets for the wine. Countries that did not buy wine a decade ago, now receive an allotment. Until the 2005 vintage, America was the most important end user in the world. That is no longer the case. However, with 4 soft vintages in a row, the type of years America never sought, it remains to be seen what happens with the next great year. It could take place in 2014, or 2015 or... Sooner or later, there is going to be a great vintage. My guess is, after successive moderate years, prices will be more than what was charged in 2010! Perhaps a lot more, which will in turn make 2009 and 2010 sell through and rise in price.

Please note, I said as a guess... That being said, I do think it's a fairly good guess. :mrgreen:
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Four soft vintages in a row? Let's see...2011, 2102, 2103, and 2014??!! You heard it here first, folks - the 2014 vintage was called on the 11th of January. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That's the kind of a call that can make a legend!

Seriously though, thanks for hanging around with us BWE'ers, Jeff.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Tom In DC wrote:Four soft vintages in a row? Let's see...2011, 2102, 2103, and 2014??!! You heard it here first, folks - the 2014 vintage was called on the 11th of January. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That's the kind of a call that can make a legend!

Seriously though, thanks for hanging around with us BWE'ers, Jeff.
Tom what r u talkin about? we know Jeff meant '10, '11, '12 &'13. Ten is a soft, early drinking, underripe non cellar worthy vintage....everyone knows this....correct? ;)
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Jeff's tasting notes are informative, enthusiastic, colorful and pull no punches. They include flavor and aroma references as well as structural comments -something for everyone. And they are fun to read. His palate and scores are pretty well aligned with Parker's, though they don't agree on every wine. If you don't like the style of wine favored by Jeff and RP, you can still get a very good idea of what to expect from his notes. Perhaps even more so than from RP's notes in recent years.

His website is well-designed, expansive and informative, and it contains a lot of fun-to-read stories about visits to Chateaux and meals with owners and winemakers. He's enthusiastic about his subject. He doesn't have the go-for-the-jugular approach of an investigative journalist, which lead some to tag him as a "homer," but I don't look to his site for that. He clearly loves Bordeaux, so why the hell shouldn't he cheerlead for it? He still calls 'em as he sees 'em when it comes to TNs.

All that said, neither Jeff nor anyone else will replace RMP. For all of the reasons listed above.

Jeff is most decidedly not an asshole, borderline or otherwise, online or in person. He is persistent and stubborn when challenged on facts, but is very accepting of differences of opinion/taste. That has led to a few run-ins on this and other boards with similarly persistent and stubborn members. He can be blunt and direct with his opinion about others' knowledge or lack of it, but he rarely resorts to personal attacks outside of the subject at hand. Perhaps even less so than RP himself. I've had the pleasure of opening a few bottles with Jeff and his buds in LA, and have been the lucky recipient of his hospitality in his home. I look forward to the next opportunity I have to drink with him.

While I'll stand behind all that I've written above, I will admit that it sounds a bit kiss-up. And yes, I have an ulterior motive for putting it all out there:

What we really need to do is get Jeff hooked on one of our BWE annual conventions. Then convince him to help us organize a BWE excursion to Bordeaux. With Jeff's help I bet we could put together an itinerary to rival our 2005 trip.
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I have to admit, not that long before I read this posting, I had already begun to notice Jeff's posts on cellar-tracker, something I had started to look at in an effort get info to sell wines that I had never tasted. Two examples, neither of which I have actually sold to anyone, yet - heh-heh: 1994 Ducru-Beaucaillou, which Jeff rated 89, and 2008 Haut-Bailly, which Jeff gave a hefty 93 points to. Of course, I take other posters' notes into account and I imagine that the austere 94 Ducru would probably please a number of people more than Jeff. But an experienced taster whose palate you more or less understand is certainly useful in these situations. The new Bob? I guess there's room for one.
-Chasse
Claret

Post by Claret »

Jeff has no love for the "charmless" 94's.
Glenn
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I think that I will be the next James Suckling, he seems to be having more fun.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Jimmy How-I-Suck"?
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

I will add that I think Neal Martin is too British in his palate, a little unpredictable and just somehow, a little flakey to replace Big Bad Bob. Maybe I should replace Bob. I'll bring my friend and personal chef in on the deal to review Italian wines: Danny Brunello. Anyone else want in? Name your price! That is, how much you're going to pay me in kickbacks to get the gig...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I will be your northern Medoc reporter, Chasse:
"The Annual Jimmy L.B. How Northern Medoc Report."
Chasse-Spleen

Post by Chasse-Spleen »

As long as I can ride shotgun! But what about the Right Bank? Maybe we can bring in Suckling, since he preferred those wines so much...
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Whoever it is I hope they have a BWE palate
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Indeed, RG, I wasn't necessarily saying that being the next HWSRN was a good thing.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Claret wrote:Jeff has no love for the "charmless" 94's.
Wait until Jim sees what Jeff thought of his beloved 2002 left bankers. :o
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Nor me. Even Las Cases was anything but a real pleasure. I have forgotten why, but I actually bought a case of 1994 (not 2004) La Gaffelière. Undoubtedly the worst St.-Emilion 1er Grand Cru Classé I have ever had. For me, 1994 (not 2004) is the candidate for the worst vintage of the last decades. :shock:
Last edited by Rudi Finkler on Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

Rudi Finkler wrote:
Nor me. Even Las Cases was anything but a real pleasure. For me, 2004 is the candidate for the worst vintage of the last decades. :shock:
We seldom agree on wines... but I do not agree with 2004 at all.

91, 92, 93, 94, 97, 99, 02, 07, 11, 12 & 13 are are worse than 2004. 2004 should please your classic palate. While not great, there are soe quite nice wines. I will probaly get to taste about 100 different wines from 2004 this year.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

2004 is awesome, the streets shall be filled with the blood of the non believers...though I have only drank mostly lefties
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Sorry, guys, a mistake on my part, first symptoms of Alzheimer’s, most probably. :roll:
1994 La Gaffelière was meant and the vintage 1994, of course NOT 2004! - I have made a correction!
For the last time, I opened a bottle of 1994 La Gaffelière four or five years ago. I smelled, sipped, and poured it down the drain - as all previous bottles of this vinegar. If you are interested, I can open one of the remaining three bottles and write a tasting note. :)