2014 UGC (Vin 2011) Standouts for me. What are yours?

Chateau Vin

2014 UGC (Vin 2011) Standouts for me. What are yours?

Post by Chateau Vin »

It's that time of the year, and today attended the 1pm UGC tasting in Chicago...What a difference compared to 09 and 10 vintages in terms of nuance, concentration, balance, etc. I find most of 2011 wines are thin and watery compared to its two immediate predecessors. I think they are very approachable, and wonder how they would fare well after laying them down for a decade or more with the exception of a few... :cry:

Here are my top three standouts for each appellation IMO...Please note that these impressions are out of the chateaux that attended UGC, and as you know some of the named chateaux do not attend, and I don't know how they fared well in 2011 vintage...

St Estephe: May be just couple of chateaux attended. Pass...

Pauillac: Comtesse lalande, Pichon Baron and D' Armailhac. GPL for me was a disappointment...

St Julien: I think this appellation fared well compared to other Medoc regions. Poyferre, St Pierre and Talbot. GL was below notch...

Margaux: Rauzan Segla, Lascombes and Giscours. Brane Cantenac and Malescot were disappointments for me...

Pessac Whites: Pape Clement, Domaine de chevalier and SHL.

Pessac Reds: SHL, Haut Bailly and Pape Clement.

Right Bank: La Conseillante, Figeac and Canon La Gaffeliere. Followed by Gazin and Canon. Troplong was a notch below.

Sauternes/Barsac: Only four or five chateaux attended. My top choice was de Fargues, although Suduiraut was more concentrated and had more nuance and sweeter. I wish my favorite Climens were there...

If I have to pick up my top 5 wines out of my tastings in no particular order, they would be...

La Conseillante
Figeac
Comtessa Lalande
Poyferre
SHL
Last edited by Chateau Vin on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Re: 2014 UGC (Vin 2011) Standouts for me. What are yours?

Post by JimHow »

How do those events work anyway?
You get to taste each of the wines there?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks for the report ChateauVin.

I only bought some Château Calon Segur in the 2011 vintage. I'll check If i can still get what you liked, at a fair price.

Nic
jckba

Post by jckba »

I attended the NY UGC for the trade this past Monday and came away with similar impressions to your own, the reds were pretty much uninspiring save for a select few (Pichon Lalande, Gruaud Larose, Leoville Poyferre and Canon la Gaffeliere) while the whites (DdC, SHL and Pape Clement) and Sauternes (Coutet and Suduiraut) were the wines of more interest to me just not at their current pricing. I really think that I am going to completely pass on this vintage and spend my money on backfilling :D
brodway

Post by brodway »

So you mean to say we won't have another vintage of the century ?
stefan

Post by stefan »

I bought only Pichon Lalande and Clinet. Did you taste Clinet?

Bad vintage of the millennium, Emil.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I did and I could have just have easily included Clinet in my preferred wines as well as it showed black and blue fruits along with an chocolate expresso like aftertaste (91-93 in my book).

THIS WAS A DIFFERENT WINE AND APPARENTLY NOT THE CLINET, NOT SURE HOW THIS HAPPENED
Last edited by jckba on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

jckba wrote:I did and I could have just have easily included Clinet in my preferred wines as well as it showed black and blue fruits along with an chocolate expresso like aftertaste (91-93 in my book).
What city are you in that you tasted Clinet? I thought they were not showing their wine at the UGC events this year.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I was in NY and while it wasn't listed in the tasting notebook, Ronan was there pouring.

SOMEHOW I MUST'VE IMAGINED THIS TO BE
Last edited by jckba on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

stefan wrote:I bought only Pichon Lalande and Clinet. Did you taste Clinet?

Bad vintage of the millennium, Emil.
No Stefan. Clinet was not there at Chicago event. Due to weather few chateaux people got stuck in NY and did not make it to Chicago. But not sure this is the reason why Clinet was not there in Chicago or they are just skipping chitown. Don't know...
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:How do those events work anyway?
You get to taste each of the wines there?
As you might know, this time of every year, UGC tours several cities including NY, Chicago, SF and LA for sure. They might also tour other cities such as Boston or Miami once in a while (I think)...When I was at Business School at UChicago, I was part of the wineclub. I approached UGC event planner in the US, and requested if they can include my name in the list. Ever since, my name is included in the trade tasting event, and I get invitation every year for the event. I just RSVP back for the event...

As someone else noted in other thread, the list is pretty good... (Ofcourse no first growths, super seconds and others such as LLC, PC, etc.). The event is held in a big ball room and you can taste all the chateaux, and take notes in the booklet provided...Are you interested to take a day off and attend such events Jim?

But the best part is, at the trade tasting event several chateaux owners, technical directors are present, and one can have a nice chat. Today, I was able to talk to Alexander Van Beek of Giscours (very nice gentleman) and daughter of Cazes of LB. Last couple of years, I also met David Ornon of SHL, whom I met when I was in Bdx couple of years back. I also regularly see the owner of Ch. Carbonnieux and the technical director of Pichon Baron...It's very fun... :P
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes I would love to attend one of these events but they usually seem to be during the week, which makes it difficult for me up here in Maine. Boston or NYC would be the closest possible cities.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Jim, sent you a PM...
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

Thanks for your notes Chateau Vin and jckba. Looking forward to the LA UGC on Friday. Not terribly excited about the vintage, but I always enjoy the UGC tastings -- have gone for every vintage save one (2007) since 2003.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

jckba wrote:I was in NY and while it wasn't listed in the tasting notebook, Ronan was there pouring.
I hate to say this, but Ronan was not in New York pouring. He was in Napa on January 20.... Trust me, I know this for a fact.
jckba

Post by jckba »

While I feel like I could swear on my previous posts and my recollection, I suppose that I could be wrong and perhaps sampled a little too much of the wines over the course of that afternoon. I feel stupid and am at a loss for words.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ha I don't know how I would keep anyone straight jckba, I can barely remember who I just had a beer with, let alone who poured one of dozens of wines. Those UGC events sound fun, I gotta go to one next year.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Clinet was in orlando....I could not attend but my friend said standouts out were Clinet and Loyferre
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I think Ronan was with Leve last week in Cali
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

robert goulet wrote:I think Ronan was with Leve last week in Cali
Hmmmm :mrgreen:
robert goulet wrote:Clinet was in orlando....I could not attend but my friend said standouts out were Clinet and Loyferre
The Orlando event was not with the UGC. It was a special tasting with a specific store in Florida that was organized outside of the UGC.

jckba wrote:While I feel like I could swear on my previous posts and my recollection, I suppose that I could be wrong and perhaps sampled a little too much of the wines over the course of that afternoon. I feel stupid and am at a loss for words.
But your tasting note was quite nice.... :D

FWIW, Clinet will be back in America with the UGC next year.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I like the report that 2011 Clinet is good.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Nicklasss wrote:Thanks for the report ChateauVin.

I only bought some Château Calon Segur in the 2011 vintage. I'll check If i can still get what you liked, at a fair price.

Nic
I also bought Calon Segur, partially because it's the last vintage made under previous ownership...I expect changes coming and not sure how it will fare in the near future...

Did not get any clinet, but got VCC from pomerol (if I remember correctly, trusted Jeff's take on this, and also because it's one of my favs of pomerol). Other notables included few bottles of Montrose, Lynch, and P Baron adding up to a mixed case and half of 2011s in all...
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Jeff Leve wrote:
robert goulet wrote:Clinet was in orlando....I could not attend but my friend said standouts out were Clinet and Loyferre
The Orlando event was not with the UGC. It was a special tasting with a specific store in Florida that was organized outside of the UGC.

Yes Jeff, and that is the store where I obtained the (2) '96 Latour for you....a few scheckles less than $300....those were the days
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

robert goulet wrote:
Jeff Leve wrote:

Yes Jeff, and that is the store where I obtained the (2) '96 Latour for you....a few scheckles less than $300....those were the days
And you only bought two bottles!!!!!!! Yes, those were the days my friend....
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

Chateau Vin wrote:Did not get any clinet, but got VCC from pomerol (if I remember correctly, trusted Jeff's take on this...
You will be quite happy with 2011 VCC. It is one of the top wines of the vintage.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Yes Jeff, and that is the store where I obtained the (2) '96 Latour for you....a few scheckles less than $300....those were the days[/quote][/quote]

And you only bought two bottles!!!!!!! Yes, those were the days my friend....[/quote]

Yes, I know, but that's all that remained...nailed down some '01 latours for $135 at the same shop....prices have just gotten out of control, but that is good for these lesser known value bordeaux's...finding some gems here and there
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

I always enjoy the UGC tastings -- some vintages more than others, obviously -- notwithstanding the crowds and impersonality of the events. It's a great way to get an early snapshot of a vintage, compare how different regions fared, etc. Chatted with Jeff Leve briefly and ran into a few other folks I know.

Now, for my impressions. For red wine, 2011 is a very disappointing bordeaux vintage. I went in with low expectations which the reds fell short of. I tried 28 reds, and the best of them were just okay, nothing resembling the complexity, length or depth of the great vintages of the past 25 years. Canon La Gaffeliere was my favorite (great job for the vintage), and La Conseillante, Gazin, Bon Pasteur, Figeac, Rauzan Segla, Pichon Lalande and Leoville Poyferre didn't totally suck. Talbot was pleasant. Pavie Macquin and Troplong Mondot would have been okay but for a bit of a plasticy note. Even among the best reds, there wasn't much depth, richness, complexity or length. And, from the little pricing research I've done, the most drinkable reds are not discounted enough to tempt me. To put that in context, I'd consider purchasing some of the very best reds of the tasting for $30-$50... The Bordelais seem to have discounted the vintage roughly 20-35% compared to '09/'10 (Jeff and others might know better - I have so little interest in the vintage I haven't done much research) which is a meaningful discount but probably not enough to interest many U.S. buyers. Overall a very weak vintage for red bordeaux -- the poorest overall showing in the eight UGC tastings I've attended (since 2003, every vintage except 2007). Other non-vintages of the century ('04, '06, '08) each had a number of reds at the UGC tasting that were riveting and compelling -- not so, sadly for 2011 (CLG was good [they are really firing on all cylinders these days], the best of the bunch, but not at the same level as CLG '05, '08, '09 or '10).

The sauternes were more promising, especially Suduiraut, Coutet and La Tour Blanche. I'm tempted to buy a few bottles, but I've got a ton of '01 sauternes it will be difficult for any subsequent sauternes vintage to measure up to.

So, overall the wines weren't great, but I still enjoy the opportunity to taste broadly across an entire bordeaux vintage and to briefly say hello to some of the chateau owners.
Outlier

Post by Outlier »

I attended the San Francisco UGC and am just getting around to adding a few notes now.

I had a really fun time. As others have said, this wasn't any great vintage, but what a thrilling event all the same for any Bordeaux lover - I can't think of many better ways to spend an afternoon than drinking dozens of Bordeaux from the same vintage :D I attended the '10 UGC too (my only other UGC). Vs. last year, this one was less busy and had an hour extra window to taste the wines. There was some random demonstration going on in 'the city' though, so I was an hour late to the tasting after finding parking.

My wine of the night was the FIgeac. It was beautiful, composed, dry, with an amazing lift, and with a kind of unami - a taste profile unlike anything else at the event. I guess sometimes you get what you pay for. I confess I didn't think much of it last year. Maybe it just showed so well this time in comparison to others. A

My value wine of the night was likely the Larrivet Haut-Brion Rouge - at about $35. It was a standout at that price.

The Sauternes were pretty great. I've always trouble discerning significant enough quality differences between Sauternes producers to justify the associated price differences, but La Tour Blance stood out for me - massive, generous and full. Suduiraut was nice as always but pricey as always.

The whites were also very good, as expected. Strangely though, last year my wine of the night was Domaine de Chevallier, and I had been somewhat unimpressed by the Pape Clement, but this year, it was reversed. Pape Clement was quite stunning - multifaceted and dynamic, though not worth the $150 or so asking price. Domaine de Chevallier felt short, compact and a bit austere.

St. Emilion: Canon was pretty nice - very floral and soft - traditional style. I found the Canon la Gaffeliere to be quite rustic, spicy and almost zin-like. I know others like this wine - I guess it's just a style that doesn't work well for me. i found the Larcis Ducasse to be quite thin, dry and uninvolving. Troplong Mondot was flashy and flamboyant as always - not for everyone, but I find it pretty compelling and have bought a few vintages to forget about in the cellar.

Margaux: Probably my favorite of the appellations, and I was most impressed with Lascombes - it felt concentrated, lush and rich; this was the one tasting where I was tempted to ask for another pour. I generally like Lascombes, but it has seemed to drift higher in price over the years, and am not that tempted at current pricing. Similarly, Rauzan Segla was pretty lively, but again too expensive. Du Tertre seemed pretty solid, especially for the price.

St. Julien: Lagrange was quite nice, and tasting well already somehow. I much preferred it to Langoa Barton next to it. Leoville Poyferre was surely the best of the bunch - really vivid and sumptuous - I jotted down one or two expletives actually. Talbot was soft, gentle and composed.

Pauillac: I quite preferred the Pichon Lalande to the Pichon Longueville - more dramatic and somehow approachable now. Lynch Bages had a lovely floral nose but was super dry and unyielding.

Not much else to note. Overall, a fun event but I didn't come away desperate to buy '11 vintage. Somehow I still have amassed 57 bottles in futures from this vintage - I caved in on some deals here and there, but am definitely not keen to get more and if anything I bought too much from this vintage, despite the good pricing. Like others have said, I think picking up some 'back-catalog' wines may be the better way to go.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nice write up. I've never been. Do they tend to be crowded, rushed, relaxed... what's the pace like?
Outlier

Post by Outlier »

Hi DavidG, it feels like the crowd level may vary by vintage and city. This '11 event seemed to have about 60% of the number of attendees as the '10 event - both of the events I attended were in San Francisco. The tasting window last year was two hours (if I remember correctly) whereas this one was three hours. The 'pace' of the event is really up to you in that you can spend abundant time at any tasting table to talk with the pourer and ask questoins. Eveyone is pretty passionate about Bordeaux and the pourers are very knowledgeable, often the chateaux owner or wine maker (To give you a sense - the Cannon la Gaffeliere table was being served by Count Stefan von Neipperg ;-)). The environment is very cordial and civilized. Personally though, I tend to breeze through each table to move to the next one as I'm keen to taste as much wine as possible. I tasted alone this time, which gave me more flexibility, but last year I was with a good friend who's also a Bordeaux enthusiast - the more people in your party, the slower things move ;-) but it is fun to compare impressions with a friend too. I don't think anything is decanted in advance.

The tables are grouped by appellation which makes it even more fun as you can compare wines easily across the same region before moving onto another Appellation. You get a list of all the wines when you enter too, arranged by Appellation - which provides a great structure and a way to mark off wines you've tried and take notes. You get a big booklet too on all the Chateuax in attendance.

Overall, it's a pretty exciting event and well worth the trip if you can swing it - a good 'anchor' to a vacation trip in the city, perhaps. It might be worth waiting for a better vintage though, although that means you'll be waiting a while ;-)
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Thanks, your description gave me a good feel for it. I've been to a few of the MacArthur California barrel tastings. I enjoyed them at first but they were too crowded to allow for much conversation with the pourers, who were often the owners or winemakers. Sounds like a UGC event that offered a bit more opportunity to discuss would be fun.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sounds like fun! Do they do it in Boston?
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

outlier, good to see u liked the larrivet....this is an under the radar pessac....bought all there was in orlando for '08....love it...walks the new world/old world line with plenty of pessac typicity....another value pessac I am really diggin' is Rochemorin '09
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

Outlier wrote:Hi DavidG, it feels like the crowd level may vary by vintage and city. Eveyone is pretty passionate about Bordeaux and the pourers are very knowledgeable, often the chateaux owner or wine maker (To give you a sense - the Cannon la Gaffeliere table was being served by Count Stefan von Neipperg ;-)). The environment is very cordial and civilized.

The tables are grouped by appellation which makes it even more fun as you can compare wines easily across the same region before moving onto another Appellation. You get a list of all the wines when you enter too, arranged by Appellation - which provides a great structure and a way to mark off wines you've tried and take notes. You get a big booklet too on all the Chateuax in attendance.

Overall, it's a pretty exciting event and well worth the trip if you can swing it - a good 'anchor' to a vacation trip in the city, perhaps. It might be worth waiting for a better vintage though, although that means you'll be waiting a while ;-)
Agree with most of Outlier's comments, having been to 8 UCG tastings (all in LA). These are not intimate, small events - they are mass tastings. But I love them, and go even in lesser vintages (which 2011 would most certainly qualify for...). Most of the pourers are quite knowledgeable, sometimes the owner or winemaker. As Outlier mentions, Comte Stephen von Niepperg represents CLG every year, and he is extremely charming and knowledgeable (and CLG has been making wonderful wine lately, particularly since 2005). You can certainly spend a couple minutes talking to whomever is pouring, but you can't really have an intimate 15-minute conversation w/ anyone. Again, it's a mass tasting. But it's a great way to get a feel for an entire bordeaux vintage, and I couldn't recommend the UGC tastings more strongly. I'm excited to go even in weak vintages.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

A story about Stephen von Niepperg in a completely different setting...

The 2005 BWE Convention was a week-long tour in Bordeaux for about 20 of us, with a visit and dinner at Canon La Gaffeliere as one of the stops. The Comte was indeed charming, both during the tour and later at dinner.

I happened to be sitting at the Comte's table during dinner. Francois Audouze was also at our table, and part way through he started to, well, not really complain or chide von Niepperg about the quality of the wines being served (they were excellent examples from his various estates), but he did make a point of how they weren't quite up to the level or age of the magnums of 1961 Margaux that Corinne Mentzelopoulos had served us a few nights before at Chateaux Margaux.

Without missing a beat, a wave of the hand from the Comte brings over one of the white-gloved staff. A few minutes after some whispered instructions the staff reappear with unlabeled bottles of CLG to pour. We were challenged to guess the year. It was a great moment, we all had a great laugh, and the wine was outstanding, but I can't for the life of me recall what year it was. I do recall that my guess was off by about a decade, '40s vs '50s or vice versa.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

JimHow wrote:Sounds like fun! Do they do it in Boston?
Jim,

They held it in Boston in 2011 for the release of the 2008 vintage. As someone mentioned previously, they hold it in a certain key cities every year such as NYC, Chicago & LA and then add one or two additional cities to the mix each year.
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

We rag on Parker constantly, how about giving the Speculator some (non) love? Just flipped through their issue on 2011 bordeaux while waiting in line at the wine shop. They rate it a solid if not spectacular vintage (a "91 point" vintage on both banks), BETTER than 2004, 2006 and 2008....... Virtually every wine you've ever heard of scores between 89 and 95 points... This does not remotely resemble the vintage I tasted a month ago at the UGC...
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Parker had some credibility at one time. The Speculator has never been a useful source of information. Remember their first hundred pointer? 88 Mouton is a decent wine but far from what everyone I know would consider a great wine. Then they were being left behind as Parker identified one new great California cabernet after another, so they declare Constant as the second coming of Screaming Eagle. Really? Constant?
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

Tom In DC wrote:Parker had some credibility at one time. The Speculator has never been a useful source of information.
It's really a shame. Parker had massive credibility and until 10-15 years ago was truly (at least in a lot of folks' opinions, including mine) a real consumer wine advocate. Even if you didn't totally agree with his views or palate, he seemed to have not only tremendous passion for wine but real integrity as well. His ridiculous grade inflation over the past decade (he's literally become the anti-wine consumer advocate, price-wise) coupled with his semi-crazy, delusional rantings lately* have seriously degraded his legacy.

* If you haven't seen his delusional, irrational rant "There is No Reason" published by TWA on 1/18/14, it's a doozy -- we're talking so far over the deep end he's in a different zip code...
Last edited by pomilion on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Didn't see it, pom, what did he say?