Another hit for Qupe

Nicklasss

Another hit for Qupe

Post by Nicklasss »

Qupe is a nice producer. Not located in Napa or Sonoma, but around Santa Maria, where it is supposed to be warmer. But in that valley, they have cool nights and keep the Syrah under control. So that 2011 Qupe Syrah Central Coast is very nice again (previous vintages I had were all very good). Color is medium red, nose of meat, red currants, cherries, herbs and stones. In mouth, nice flavors of bitter cherries, currants, leather, spiced jerk beef, with nice density and acidity. Decent long, soft tannins, little oak, and decent long red licorice and pomegranate finish. I know this will age well, for 10 years. Congratulation to Bob Lindquist, again. TN: 88-89. A real clen Syrah, with just 10-15% of a Californian touch, everything under control.

For the price, amazing, and as good (or better) than some Croze-Hermitage or St-Joseph.

Nic
Nicklasss

Re: Another hit for Qupe

Post by Nicklasss »

A very nice dense ripe redcurrants in mouth. Meat, nice.

Nic
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

I've always thought Qupe delivered good value - it's often something I'll pick up when traveling.
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

There is an excellent interview with Bob on Levi Dalton's I'll Drink to That podcast.