To the BD: the Big Popup?

Blanquito

To the BD: the Big Popup?

Post by Blanquito »

The sky is falling! The Globe calls Big Papi "Big Popup" and a 0.172 singles hitter!

Hey, it's never too early to tease the BombSox... especially after a 2-6 start and a slew of injuries to their vaunted pitching staff.
JimHow

Re: To the BD: the Big Popup?

Post by JimHow »

Well, Papi may be on the downward slope of his career but he is usually a slow starter. He'll be fine as long as he's healthy.
I don't think the Sox have the lineup to win it all this year though.
Then again, we've already won it twice in this, the Century of Boston Sports Teams, we can't do it every year.
Besides, my Bruins will take home the Cup this year for the first time since '72, and Gisele Bundchen's husband is coming back this fall....
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Wakefield with a perfect game going into the seventh....
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Ortiz just had his first extra base of the season... I'm rooting for Wakefield, a class act.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

We'll turn you into a fan of the Team of the Twenty-First Century yet, Blanquito....
PappaDoc

Post by PappaDoc »

Patrick,

It's safe to drink this Rev. Jims Kool Aid, It's 1989 Lynch Bages. I'd go to Church at Fenway if our Rev is pouring it from the Holy Grail Stanley Cup!

Go Yanks!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Lynch Bages from the Stanley Cup. Now there's a dream!

During the days of Bobby Orr-- the greatest hockey player to ever lace the skates-- in the early seventies, the Bruins were even more popular than the Red Sox in New England. Municipal hockey rinks sprouted up all over the region and #4 jerseys were everywhere. Then the Bruins were sold to Buffalo businessman Jeremy Jacobs and for the past thirty years the franchise has been run strictly as a business, with a mediocre product on the ice year after year. This year's team is their best hope to go all the way, which would certainly be cause for the uncorking of a very fine champagne or two!
Houndsong

Post by Houndsong »

Jesus saves ... Esposito puts in the rebound.
ericp

Post by ericp »

LMAO Hound! :lol: As a child of the 70s, thats a blast from the past. I can remember seeing that carved into the wall at summer camp.

Jim, I couldn't agree more - Jacobs has been a terrible owner for Bruins fans. If the Bruins hadn't gotten lucky in drafting Bourque in the 80s, they'd have pretty much sucked since the 70s. As for Papi, I have my doubts but hopefully he's not really 37 (instead of his listed 33) because without his bat circa 2004, the sox chances are pretty strongly diminished.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Ah yes, remember that Sunday afternoon in '71 when Esposito got his 74th, 75th, and 76th goals of the season...

They had some powerhouse teams. I remember my parents bought me a tape recorder for Christmas and I was taping part of a game on the radio one weeknight against Vancouver for my father who was working the second shift at the mill at the time. Fred Kusick and Johnny Pierson were doing the call. No sooner did I turn on the recorder than the Bruins proceeded to score three goals in twenty seconds-- first Johnny Bucyk on the power play, then Eddie Westfall, then finally Teddy Green with a slapshot from just inside the blue line-- the three quickest goals scored in NHL history. The record still stands to this day and I still have the tape.