A 2002 right banker that's drinking OK

AlohaArtakaHoundsong

A 2002 right banker that's drinking OK

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

One of the originals- SteveH - recommended the 2002 Ch. Vieux Chateau Certan after I mentioned it was on sale somewhere. This was back in 05 probably just on arrival. I think I paid $70 or something for it. I think the "on sale" bit may have been a bit of an exaggeration but whatever. I finally got around to trying it, knowing that 02 was not a memorable right bank year. And this is not a memorable wine but for it being just the one, but neither was it flawed, unless you mark down for scale. It is a smaller-scaled wine, with medium body, with cool, l;eafy/berry aromatics and a decidedly juicy mouthfeel due to prominent but palatable acidity. These sort of round, succulent flavors, perhaps even a touch of burgundian strawberry (pardon me if strawberry is not a common burgundian component an I'm just talking out the wazoo). This did have the regal wood treatment although to me it did not have any drying tannins and this seemed nicely integrated. We did enjoy this wine and it was refreshing while still maintaining a certain decorum/gravity taking it well out of the dreaded "picnic wine" category. Anyway I've not had many 02 RBs and they all seemed to suffer from something - heavy hand or some off flavors - but this had none of those flaws. In fact it struck me if not exactly in flavor but in overall composition as one of the more successful 02 LBers. Were this $30 it would have been a nice deal for the type, but at the original cost it was an interesting detour I'd probably not make again.
DavidG

Re: A 2002 right banker that's drinking OK

Post by DavidG »

Interesting note Hound. Strawberry and red fruits are Pinot-ish and Burgundian to me, and maybe to be expected from a lighter year, vs the darker, blacker fruits often associated with greater degrees of ripeness. That wine sounded pretty well balanced, except maybe with respect to price.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Currently the lowest price of '02 VCC in the USA is $130.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

It was enjoyable. Berryish.

The $70 was of course the 2005 price. A buck thirty is better divided by thirds and allocated otherwise. At the same time many 2002 classed growths below the 1sts and true super-seconds were selling in the $20s and S30s. That's my point of comparison. I know VCC is by reputation a cut above many of those wines (and also I presume in significantly less supply) but in this vintage at least, whatever the rep, it doesn't deliver a significantly more enjoyable experience.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

2002L is so great that it occasionally spills over into the right bank.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

If Chuck Norris were a wine he'd be a 2002L Bordeaux.
JonB

Post by JonB »

I attended a nice dinner with Francois Thienpont tonight and tasted several vintages of VCC as well as Pavie Macquin and Gravette De Certan. Sadly, no Le Pin. A few of the off vintages of VCCs are quite nice (e.g. 2006,2008, 2011) but can't say i've tried the 02.
jckba

Post by jckba »

JonB,

Would be interested to hear if you had the chance to taste the 10 Gravette de Certan as I purchased a case without having tasted it and was just curious if it was already drinking or if it was something I should relegate to the bottom of a stack? Thanks!
JonB

Post by JonB »

jckba - I did not try this last night, but Francois was so ecsatic about the 2010 Gravette he persuaded me to purchase a case. He implied it was good now, but would certainly have a long life ahead of it.