TN: 3 Biodynamique Bordeaux from Ch. Falfas

Otto Nieminen

TN: 3 Biodynamique Bordeaux from Ch. Falfas

Post by Otto Nieminen »

Château Falfas 2006 Côtes de Bourg
Quite a delight. It did show pure Bordeaux aromas: a mix of dark fruit and red berries, some earth. Not much oak in this, which was nice, but it could still use some time to integrate. It was vibrant, refreshing, had plenty of grip and also plenty of substance.

Château Falfas 2005 Côtes de Bourg
Very similar in aromas to the 2006 (i.e. very classic with a mix of dark fruit and red berries, refreshing Claret) except the oak had fully integrated, and the acidity wasn't quite so bright (still plenty of it for an '05) but the tannins were palate-cleansing and the whole was extremely pleasing. Very nice.

Château Falfas Le Chevalier 2006 Côtes de Bourg
It was much too young, and it smelled only of barrique. I much preferred the "basic" Falfas. There were also some off-putting lactic aromas. I have tried this once before - only a couple months ago - when I found much more to like, though even then I found this to be a rather "modern" style. An awkward stage for sure.
Previously known as Geshtin.
DavidG

Re: TN: 3 Biodynamique Bordeaux from Ch. Falfas

Post by DavidG »

Clearly, Otto, the Le Chevalier would have shown better if you'd drunk it while howling at a full moon... ;)
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Falfas is actually owned by an American, John Cochran. He is a very nice guy and a true believer in biodynamics.

His wine is excellent value for money. Just the sort of stuff I would like to show people who think Bordeaux has to be an (overpriced) great growth to be good.

Best regards,
Alex R.
Otto Nieminen

Post by Otto Nieminen »

David, though I don't have scientific training, I admire science above all. Therefore I find it strange that I seem to like the liveliness of bio and "natural" wines when the philosophy behind them is utter bollocks!

Alex, apparently the basic Falfas is only about £11. It is rare in my experience to get anything this wonderful at that price. I just wish it was available here.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Otto, I think you like biodynamic wines because the producers do pay an incredible amount of attention to the vineyard, and maintain a "living soil." That much is supported by science. Some of the non-scientific things have no additional effect, in my opinion, and I like to make fun of them, but it doesn't mean I don't admire the wines for what they are.
Otto Nieminen

Post by Otto Nieminen »

David, if one takes out the mumbo jumbo of biodynamic farming, how does it differ from organic or sustainable farming?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I am no expert on biodynamic farming, but I think it is quite appropriate to categorize it as "organic" or "sustainable." Perhaps one might even take it a step further to call it "restorative," since biodynamic principles applied to over-treated, dead soil can bring it back to life. I don't mind the hocus-pocus that goes along for the ride so long as the result is good wine. But I still like to poke fun at the hocus-pocus.
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

DavidG wrote: I don't mind the hocus-pocus that goes along for the ride so long as the result is good wine. But I still like to poke fun at the hocus-pocus.
Complete agreement with you that the producers of biodynamic wines tend to be very meticulous about their growing and production methods. Combining that with essentially organic methods is sure to be a positive for the soil and the wine. The only turn off for me is the producers with a hocus-pocus focus.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I like that hocus-pocus focus!

I'm not sure of this whole organic movement. With no regulations you never know what you are getting.I will never forget the biodynamic producer we visited in St Emillion La Tour Figeac with the owner expounding the principles of the safety and health of biodynamics with the guy dressed up in the "moonsuit" spraying the crap out of the vineyard right next to us with a fog of Bordeaux mix going everywhere.Now I'm not sure about organic/biodynamic but I thought pesticides were a no no and that's just what the copper sulfate/hydrated lime(Bordeaux Mix) is.I think these guys pick and choose what their definition will be and without standards it's buyer beware!!

Danny
Danny
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

That's one of the great conflicts. Bordeaux mixture is allowed because it's all natural ingredients. Of course too much copper is itself toxic, but let's not worry about that, we have dogma to preach. ;)
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Have you ever seen those beautiful tourquoise coloured ponds on golf courses with nothing living in then. They've been treated with copper sulfate Looks pretty and sure does control the algae growth in ponds but also kills all of the fish,frogs,bugs etc. Just because it's natural doesn't mean that it's safe to spray the stuff indiscriminately and still claim that you're an organic process. You still use pesticides that are toxic to the environment around you.

Danny

PS No I'm not a tree hugging granola cruncher but I hate people or businesses that claim to be under the guise of profit making!
Danny