4 Bordeaux with dinner

AlexR

4 Bordeaux with dinner

Post by AlexR »

2001 Haut Bommes, Sauternes – Enjoyed with foie gras and piment d’Espelette and Savoie dry-cured ham. This is can be viewed as the 2nd wine of Clos Haut Peyraguey, a first growth Sauternes that is most-often seriously under-rated (the estate was just bought by Bernard Magrez). This wine was fully mature and a treat. Not heavy by any means and with good botrytis characteristics. Great value for money.

With confit de canard and pommes sarladaises (potatoes with ceps, garlic, and parsley):

2000 Bourgneuf Vayron, Pomerol – Earthy, empyreumatic aromas and rich, earthy flavors. There was unfortunately some TCA there. I debated whether or not to remove it from the table, but people seemed to feel that it was not a washout. This estate has since abbreviated their name to “Bourgneuf”. The young daughter is making the wine now, and she does a very good job too. Recent vintages are definitely worth looking into, especially since prices are affordable. The vineyard is located just down the plateau from Trotanoy.

2000 Château de France, Pessac-Léognan – A classic Graves with brambly black fruit aromas. The wine could have used to be more rich and full-bodied, especially in the 2000 vintage, but it was well-structured and well-balanced. I am drinking my 2000 non-classified Bordeaux with great pleasure these days. Most are ready to drink in my opinion.

With cheeses… and dessert!

2009 L’Aura, Margaux: I’m a fan of the Haut-Médoc Château Cambon La Pelouse, and this is their Margaux wine. It’s 50/50 C.S. and Merlot and weighs in at 14% alc./vol. I tasted this wine en primeur and was very taken with it. It is still far too young, but the potential is clearly there. The wine is exuberant, very fruity, and very seductive. It’s in a fairly modern style, but far short of anything overblown and overdone. I rarely buy cases of any wine, but I did buy 6 bottles of this and will be delighted to follow its development. It’s not screamingly Margaux in nature, but let’s give it some age. Excellent value for money.

Alex R.
Nicklasss

Re: 4 Bordeaux with dinner

Post by Nicklasss »

Hi AlexR.

Of course, I'm always reading your comments with high interest. In the past I enjoyed a few bottles of the 2001 Château Bourgneuf-Vayron. I remember stoping at Château de France with you, at the Pessac Léognan portes ouvertes, and liked their wine that is traditionnal.

The L'Aura seems really interesting.

I have a friend that will go to Bordeaux in 2014. I'll try to put you in touch. I'm sure he would enjoy visit a few Châteaux in your company. For my part, well I don't know when will be the next visit to Bordeaux.

Nic
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

The 2003 Bourgneuf was quite good, with or without regard for what was supposed to be a difficult vintage in Pomerol.

Alex how would you say L'Aura differs from the Cambon La Pelouse? I recall the 2005 Cambon being massively rich/fruity on release.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

AlexR wrote: 2000 L’Aura, Margaux: I’m a fan of the Haut-Médoc Château Cambon La Pelouse, and this is their Margaux wine.
Alex, how did you manage to taste the 2000? You really are connected! The owner only bought the property in 2006. http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/bor ... de-cambon/
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

I guess it was a typo...2009?
Thanks for the interesting notes, Alex!
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi Rudi,

Yes, indeed, it was a typo.

Make that 2009 L'Aura!!!!

Alex
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Fixed it for you, Alex.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

David,

Thanks! I've used computers every day for a couple of decades, but am not very gifted for anything other than the basics.

But I'll need to fix that because I'm itching to start my own blog...
(Watch out world!).

Alex R.