2004 Malescot St. Exupery

JonB

2004 Malescot St. Exupery

Post by JonB »

Dark ruby. Forest floor and classy French oak with light char on the nose. Rounded berries, mix of sourness that marks a cooler vintage, with ripe cherries. Somewhat short in mid-palette, with a long, sour, somewhat drying finish. I enjoyed this, it was grapey, fresh, and IMO should improve as the dry tannins integrate.
JimHow

Re: 2004 Malescot St. Exupery

Post by JimHow »

As I read your note I said, he doesn't like this, until you said, I enjoyed this. I have an unopened case.
Sounds like an '04.
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

I have a few of these for my kids' birthyear and am hopeful that they'll hang in there (and improve) through at least 2025! We'll see, but curious to hear your opinion...

Michael
JonB

Post by JonB »

I have come to appreciate a greater variety of wine flavors! It does comes across with a strong sour element, but I didn't notice any vegetable. This should improve, and my guess is be quite complex but definitely show the cool climate year. 2025...I think so but will post every couple years to give you a progress report.
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

good insights, thanks!
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I think I have three of these.

I have a case of 04 Ch. du Tertre. Picked them up probably four years after release. I drank two in fairly close proximity. Not the wild fruity acidity you describe, but for sure a cooler style, not one like an uber year and stretched out by that extra half/full degree of alcohol and two/three more weeks of ripeness. It will be interesting to compare them.

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... lit=tertre
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I liked this wine alot, when I had it in the past, as well as the 2004 Clerc Milon. Unfortunately, don't have any bottles but I think my brother do still have the Clerc.

I know that with what I wrote here, someone can say/think '' Nic is so an easy grader that he'll probably grade the 2002 higher than the 2000 in the 2014 BWE convention blind tasting''. Ok, I'm easy, but not crazy...

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

I like 2004 Malescot St. Exupery. I saved only a couple to see what they will be when they are mature. Mine have sour berries and no vegetation.