TN: Ch. Bois-Martin 2005 (Pessac)

Otto Nieminen

TN: Ch. Bois-Martin 2005 (Pessac)

Post by Otto Nieminen »

It also mentions Ch. Le Sartre on the label, and apparently is also somehow connected to Carbonnieux - anyone have more information on how these properties are tied up? At c.19€ this is an attractive red with true Graves character. It smells of damp earth and ripe dark fruit but it also has a refreshing lift to the scent - I hesitate to call it a green touch in such a ripe wine, because that word seems to carry unwarranted negative connotations. Medium bodied but compact and even a little chewy but wonderfully refreshing, too, as I think Claret should ideally be. So perhaps it isn't an earth-shattering experience, but when it is becoming difficult to get decent Bordeaux under 40€ over here in the cold, dreary North, I was very happy to find this.

A good wine, but just a few euros more will get me the Gressier Grand-Poujeaux 2005 which I also recently wrote on. Having tasted that a few times more, I must say that I find that one of the greatest red Bordeaux bargains I have ever had. Bois-Martin was nice; Gressier Grand Poujeaux was great! I'm happy to have both available.
Previously known as Geshtin.
AlexR

Re: TN: Ch. Bois-Martin 2005 (Pessac)

Post by AlexR »

Otto,

As often happens, family vineyard dynasties break up in Bordeaux. This happened with the Perrins.

Bois-Martin is very inexpensive here and represents excellent value for money. Sorry don't know the Gressier Grand Poujeaux;

All the best,
Alex
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Wow! Expensive in Europe. You paid 19 Euros for a wine that sells in the U.S. at about $13.00 by the case.
This is one of the very few ' 05s I've bought. I really enjoyed this case because it was a nice example of all boats rising with the tide of a foolproof vintage. I agree, it's a true Graves with good earth and balance, ready to drink right out of the chute.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Steve,

Otto is in Finland, which has a state liquor monopoly. Their prices are not representative of other EU countries.

That wine would be about 30-40% less in France.
(hey, when ya moving, Otto?).

Best regards,
Alex R.
Otto Nieminen

Post by Otto Nieminen »

Steve, sadly with a monopoly, we usually pay double what the rest of Europe does - except for the odd blue-chip wine which can be of average or even - sometimes - cheap by international standards. Cheap wines tend to be really expensive, but the more one invests the less by international standards it seems! :D Funny system here.

Alex, hopefully moving soon.
Previously known as Geshtin.