Bordeaux 2013

Jeff Leve

Bordeaux 2013

Post by Jeff Leve »

I am in Bordeaux for the rest of the week and much of next week as well. There are a few nice wines in this vintage, but you need to look to find them. Fans of low alcohol wines will be happier than I am, generally speaking. For a good summary on what's taking place with the wines and the vintage...

http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/201 ... -tastings/
AlexR

Re: Bordeaux 2013

Post by AlexR »

I've spent much of this week tasting and, yes, it's a mixed bag.

The stock phrase in a vintage like this is "the year of the winemaker," and there is much truth in this.
Care must be taken not to use too much new oak and not to keep the wine too long in barrel, because many of them will become easily overpowered.

One of the best wines I tasted was Figeac. The worst? The entire Gérard Perse range. An abomination.

Best regards,
Alex R.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

AlexR wrote:The worst? The entire Gérard Perse range. An abomination.
No surprise we do not agree... again. Pavie and Bellevue Mondotte are two of the top wines from the vintage. They have actual ripe fruit and were produced from very low yields, a good combination for quality wine...
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Jeff,

The Perse wines were (expletive deleted) steamrollered by excessive oak and extraction in my most humble opinion.

Many of us were gasping for water after tasting the wines.

Journalist friends had the 2006 Pavie at the press dinner held at Pavie.
They said it was far too heavy and virtually undrinkable.

What did you think of the new cellars at Pavie?
To many it is a monument to bad taste, and the locals refer to it as "Las Vegas".
I wouldn't go quite so far, but it does have the anonymous feel of an international luxury chain hotel rather than a wine cellar...

Your faithful servant,
Alex R.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Jeff,

By the way, I'm in the process of reading Vinobusiness by Isabelle Saporta.
Has anyone spoken to you about it?
It mostly covers Bordeaux, and whether you agree or not, everyone's talking about it.

I think you should read it too.
Only available in French.
http://www.amazon.com/Vino-business-ESS ... nobusiness

Alex
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I need your input on 2013, as Béatrice my third child is born last year. I need a few bottles for her 18-20 years old.

So Figeac is good AlexR, I believe you so available at the right price, I'll buy.

What else guys? So Mr Leves, I like traditionnal balanced red Bordeaux, that drinks well and are complex, If that can help to do recommandations. For the Perse wines, i did not tried them often, as my last, the 2001 Pavie Decesse was very gross to me...

Nic
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

AlexR wrote:The Perse wines were (expletive deleted) steamrollered by excessive oak and extraction in my most humble opinion.

Not sure when your opinion became humble... But it's an improvement :mrgreen:

Journalist friends had the 2006 Pavie at the press dinner held at Pavie. They said it was far too heavy and virtually undrinkable.

Each his own... 06 is a very good wine IMO, better than 2013.

What did you think of the new cellars at Pavie?

Not so new... I wne to the opening of the cellars last June. On the outside, big, but simple in reality. On the inside, it makes a statement that they are above the others in the classification and that they are a First Growth. Tasting room is much better too, with its light and airy feeling. Vat rooms and cellars are about the same, but cleaner and more spacious. The new cellars on the block from this year are Montrose, Pichon Lalande, Angelus and La Dominique. All quite nice, but Montrose is stunning!
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

Nicklasss wrote:I need your input on 2013, as Béatrice my third child is born last year. I need a few bottles for her 18-20 years old.

What else guys? So Mr Leves, I like traditionnal balanced red Bordeaux, that drinks well and are complex, If that can help to do recommandations. For the Perse wines, i did not tried them often, as my last, the 2001 Pavie Decesse was very gross to me... Nic
Buy 2013 Montrose if you need a wine. it's probably the wine of the Medoc.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks for the recommandation on the 2013 Montrose.

So, in that regular minus vintage, I'll limit my purchase to Figeac and Montrose.

Nic
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Jeff,

Ah, so you were invited to the inauguration of the Pavie cellars. A real insider, I see. But please be careful not to be sucked into "the system".
It is so easy to find yourself licking everyone's boots, and you end up losing all credibility.
Has happened time and time again...

The 2013s are coming out on the market. It is hard to believe the disconnect there is between the château owners and the consumer (reductions are far too small).
Time will tell if the châteaux will get away with their pricing.
Up until now, with the system of checks and balances, the wine trade downstream was willing to take a hit to maintain their allocations in good years. A lot of wine was "dumped" i.e. sold at a loss.
I'm not so sure that this is going to work indefinitely... In other words, the market is self-correcting, but only up to a point. We are approaching a critical period where something may have to give.
What and when, I don't know.
But people are asking themselves more than ever what the point is in buying "en primeur".
Admitedly, these metaphysical questions would not be asked if the last 3 vintages had a better reptuation...

All the best,
Alex R.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

AlexR wrote:Jeff,

Ah, so you were invited to the inauguration of the Pavie cellars. A real insider, I see. But please be careful not to be sucked into "the system".
It is so easy to find yourself licking everyone's boots, and you end up losing all credibility.
I think I have farily good credibility, but thanks for the advice. FWIW, I was at the opening dinner for the new Angelus cellars and Montrose as well. Went to La Dominique and Pichon Lalande too. I will add new images to my site when i get back if anyone wants to see them.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Jeff, your credibility is fine with me. I know your palate and can depend on your notes. You and Alex are both very consistent and transparent in your descriptions, even though your tastes differ significantly. That's very useful.

And thanks for taking the high road and not taking the bait Jeff.