TN: 4 TNs a mix

Harry C.

TN: 4 TNs a mix

Post by Harry C. »

• 2003 Robert Foley Claret - USA, California, Napa Valley (4/5/2014)
    black garnet. All Bob Foley-coffee, espresso, plums int he nose. Big, espresso, black fruits, smooth in the mouth. Lovely example. (93 pts.)
  • 2009 Peter Michael Chardonnay Mon Plaisir - USA, California, Sonoma County, Knights Valley (4/5/2014)
    Pale gold. Nose was much more 'adolescent' than young, namely more subtle fruits in the background, fresh oregano, pear, vanilla. Taste was smooth, touch licorice, clove, mellow, mouthcoating. Very good and requires another taste. Bottle disappeared too quickly. I think for my tastes, the Mon Plaisir is the best of the 'regular' PM chards. (93 pts.)
  • 2011 Aubert Chardonnay Eastside Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (4/1/2014)
    Pale yellow. Buttery, fresh oregano, hints of lime. Taste was better than the nose, reminds me of Peter Michael Cuvee Indigene-rich, mouthfilling, buttery, vanillins, mango, pear. Interesting, reminds me of 1980s Chards-but with a better hand. (92 pts.)
  • 2000 E. Guigal Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (4/1/2014)
    garnet. Nose and taste screamed rustic. A very old style-no raspberry jam here. Garrigue galore. Shorter finish. Not bad for those who like this style. (88 pts.)
Michael Malinoski

Re: TN: 4 TNs a mix

Post by Michael Malinoski »

Thanks, Harry.

I think that is the first vintage for Eastside Vineyard for Aubert, yes? I believe it may be the first wine he's made from Russian River specifically--did it feel similar to the Sonoma Coast offerings, or was there any additional weight or other character to the wine that stood out relative to the Aubert "norm"? Just curious, thanks!

Michael
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Mike, glad to answer and BTW, enjoy your posts. Yes it seemed different, less citrus fruits, more buttery. There is a family resemblance, but I will reserve overall judgment until I taste another vintage or two. As of just this one, not quite up to other Aubert areas' standards.
jmccready

Post by jmccready »

Nice to know this CDP style is still out there, of course in an '"older" vintage. A treat with certain foods for those who like a bit of the rustic style.