The 2011 Giacosa Nebbiolo d'Alba

Nicklasss

The 2011 Giacosa Nebbiolo d'Alba

Post by Nicklasss »

Last wine from the weekend. Nice typical Piedmont Nebbiolo. More details to come.

Nic
Nicklasss

Re: The 2011 Giacosa Nebbiolo d'Alba

Post by Nicklasss »

Very Piedmont, with it niçe light redish color. Nose of sour cherries, spices, cranberries and flowers. Mouth is acidic, full of red berries, light eau de rose, pomegranate, with light tannins, and a long finish of spicy cinnamon, with cherries. A bit foggy, apple skin, sour rasberries. Nice but Piedmont is opposite to the fat, ripe, oaky fashion wine. TN: 88.

Nic
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I will buy more Piedmont wines. I like their etheral character. And let say that the 1962 and 1964 Barolo that were présent on Friday at BWE 2014, have something to do with that.

Nic
Carlos Delpin

Post by Carlos Delpin »

I have never truly enjoyed a Barolo younger than 30 years old.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Strawberries, the dry ones, like in the Special K cereales with strawberries.

So 30 years for a Barolo? Need as much patience as Bordeaux? Though.

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I learned my Barolo lesson at the Friday dinner during the BWE convention in DC a few weeks ago. MichaelP and SF Ed brought some Barolos from 1962 and 1964 that were among my wines of the night. I never thought I liked Barolo until I tasted a few mature ones. So count me with Carlos: haven't really seen a Barolo I liked with less than 30 (50?!?) years on it.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

DavidG wrote:I learned my Barolo lesson at the Friday dinner during the BWE convention in DC a few weeks ago. MichaelP and SF Ed brought some Barolos from 1962 and 1964 that were among my wines of the night. I never thought I liked Barolo until I tasted a few mature ones. So count me with Carlos: haven't really seen a Barolo I liked with less than 30 (50?!?) years on it.
Can someone shed some light on these Barolos? Interested to know the TNs on these... :?:

Also, interested to know your favorite Barolos in terms of ageability, elegance and complexity....
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

That was my Barolo epiphany, so I can't say I have much experience. Perhaps Ed or Michael will chime in. I can say that the '62 was a Pio Cesare and one of the '64s was a Borgono. Don't recall the producer of the other '64...