Red Obsession

dstgolf

Red Obsession

Post by dstgolf »

Anyone else seen this movie. I thought that it was very well done. Narrated by Russel Crowe and hi lighting the realities of modern day Bordeaux and their price escalation. The owners clearly discuss the influence of the Chinese on the Bordeaux wine market and the waining influence of the west. Yes the arrogance is ever present and they are not sure if they are making a mistake by cutting out their loyal customer by pricing them out of the market. We have all certainly seen our own abilities to enjoy the classified growths in declining numbers because of the price reality. When Chinese billionaires don't think twice about paying $1.5million cash for a couple dozen cases of Lafite you know we are all doomed in the future to continue to enjoy the passion we all share.

It's playing on Netflix and a good relaxing 1hr 20 min flick showing the power of money and the influence of 1.5 billion people who have a growing thirst for fine wine in its infancy and its power to turn the market. If you have a chance sit down with a glass or two and enjoy the past because the future for Bordeaux may still be bright but maybe not for us!!
Danny
JimHow

Re: Red Obsession

Post by JimHow »

Sounds interesting, just put at top of my queue.
RDD

Post by RDD »

Isn't Chinese demand "yesterday" and waning?

For example:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-2 ... wanes.html
http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2013/05/ ... -in-china-

So maybe their fear will be realized. Most folks I know avoid Bordeaux as "It is just too expensive."
tim

Post by tim »

Watching now, quite interesting, and definitely takes me back to our 2005 visit (among others interviewed, Corinne M., Paul Pontallier, Thomas Duroux, with some great shots of both Margaux and Palmer). Of course, I'm drinking a Cahors cause I can't afford Bordeaux anymore... :D
tim

Post by tim »

Fascinating to discover the business of the owner of one of the largest cellars in China. :D
Carlos Delpin

Post by Carlos Delpin »

Saw the movie and was surprised at the many historical inaccuracies in regards to the 1855 classification and other issues. Other than that it was a fun peek at how the other half lives.
tim

Post by tim »

There is some very memorable commentary in the movie. Perhaps my favorite was saying that he is a wine drinker. And he made it clear that he is not a wine taster, but a wine drinker, and that he just finished lunch with like 8 people and 10 wines, where he had over a bottle of wine himself. For lunch. Too funny.
johnz

Post by johnz »

I agree that Red Obsession is interesting and entertaining, and I enjoyed it. It is, however, a bit dated, as the Chinese bordeaux mania has obviously backed off significantly. I'm sure glad I sold my Lafite in 2010!

--Gary Rust
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It was interesting. Is the Asia wine craze over?
I have a mixed case of Lafite, 5 bottles from 1996, 1 from 1998, 1 from 2001, 3 from 2002, and 2 from 2004.
I intend to drink them someday (with BWEers)!
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I sold a bunch of Lafite on behalf of a friend of mine a couple of years ago at the height and he can buy the all back for about 40% less today than what he sold them for.

Thanks for the heads-up on the movie, It sounds like I'll have to invite a few of the boys over for a screening while we pop a few bottles just to get the full effect.