Cellar conditions?

Michael-P

Cellar conditions?

Post by Michael-P »

What is the best temp and humidity? Thanks!

Mine (before the flooring, racks and wine are in yet) is currently running 55.7F and 84%.

Michael-P
Tom In DC

Re: Cellar conditions?

Post by Tom In DC »

According to Gold's "How and Why" book, anything above 80% RH is likely to cause mold which is mostly a problem for labels but can be a health issue as well.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I think the temp is a bit of personal preference within reason. I know some people keep theirs 58-60 with the idea that the wines may mature a bit faster than a cellar at 53-55. As you know the most critical part is minimizing significant temperature variation.

My cellar humidity ranges between 75% and the low 80s depending on the time of year - I have not had any issues with label conditions or mold. I think the big risk of mold is if you have a particulary damp spot in the cellar where moister collects with higher humidity.

Jon
stefan

Post by stefan »

Most of mine is around 62F with certain parts being a couple of degrees cooler. I hold some wine elsewhere at 65-68F. I am old and want faster maturing than you probably do on younger wines. I never worried much about the humidity. Mine is 75-80% most of the year.
RDD

Post by RDD »

I live in the Southeast so never even worried about humidity.
But I know it is in issue out west.
Corks tend to dry out.
I keep my cellar ( unit controlled ) at 55.

I think you might have to get a small humidifier and bring it up.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I would bring the humidity down. 60-70% is ideal for long term storage without increasing the risk of mold. Mold can be a health issue and can adversely affect the resale value of a home.

Temp sounds perfect, especially if you have a lot of older bottles that you want to preserve. High 50s to low 60s would be ideal if you had a lot of 2010 Bordeaux you want to drink while you're still young enough to enjoy it.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

More importantly, congratulations on completing your cellar Michael-P!