Drinking your 2000s

AlexR

Drinking your 2000s

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

I have a medium-size cellar, and the heart of it is probably about 30 bottles of various 2000 great growths.

But alongside these, I also have a bunch of less prestigious Bordeaux from that same vintage.

I have been opening and enjoying these. Indeed, it is time to drink them, and they have not much to gain by further ageing.

On Sunday, after a half bottle of 2009 Château de Sancerre (nice, but I'll keep back my other bottles for several years), I served a 2000 Château Saint Pierre, a St. Julien fourth growth.
I gave a glass blind to my better half and she asked "Bordeaux?". I said "Yes". "Saint-Julien?", she inquired. And I was quite impressed :-).
She thought the wine was older than it was, and didn't have a clue as to the château, but still...

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to say that you may want to dip into your stock of 2000s to see how they're developing. I'm finding that many of them are in a good place now.
I really couldn't give a (expletive deleted) about what any of the critics say. 2000 was a very good year, but not all the wines are for the long haul. I know because I'm experiencing this on a regular basis.

By the way, Saint Pierre is a lovely sleeper of a wine, and the 2009 made a very strong impression on me. It is certainly less expensive than many other St. Juliens...
The 2000 we had was ripe and classic, and the wine has got even better since then...

All the best,
Alex R.
Comte Flaneur

Re: Drinking your 2000s

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the update Alex.

I have had mixed experiences with 2000s, but one which was showing very well recently was Potensac.

Au contraire I found Citran and Batailley to be harshly tannic.

At a higher level Palmer, Pichon Baron and Montrose, show very good potential but are a long way from being ready IMVHO. Likewise VCC on the right bank.

I am running with the theory that 2000 is following a similar evolutionary path to 1995, but the wines are thicker, chunkier, more full-bodied.

At risk of crass generalisation, I find 2001s much easier to navigate for near term drinking.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Yes, Ian, I'm with you there.
With regard to the great growths, definitely intending to open the 2001s first.

When I mentioned on wine forums years back that I had bought 2001 en primeur, I was told in so many words that I was an idiot. The 2000 was *so much better* and could still be found on the market...
As time goes on, however, the 2001s are proving their mettle. This is increasingly perceived to be a much underrated vintage.
I liked it from the beginning because it seemed more classical and, as they say here, a more "Atlantic" vintage, i.e. the result of a cooler, wetter year than those perceived as great.

At my age, the 2000 top growths will be my swan song, and I will start opening them on about their 20th birthday.
But when you go down a notch or two on the quality scale, the wines have already come into their own.
The past weekend, I singled out about 20 different 2000s to drink soon, and I'll be sure to share my notes on BWE...
Two 2000 Fronsacs drunk recently, Les Trois Croix and Clos du Roy (Cuvée Arthur) were already past their peak.

All the best,
Alex
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Opened up a 2000 Maucaillou (Moulis) this evening.

A little thin for this year, but a classic Médoc nose and just the right touch of oak. Some gunpowder aromas there...
There is still plenty of (granular) tannin on the finish, but in the trade-off between fresh fruit and resolved tannin, you're better off drinking this now.
The finish is a somewhat dry and this is one for the table rather than sipping. Rustic, honest. Good Cabernet Sauvignon. A peasant in his Sunday best.

I was sad to learn that Philippe Dourthe had passed away. I hope his children continue the tradition at Maucaillou.

Best regards,
Alex R.
finner

Post by finner »

I had the 2000 Clos du Marquis a few weeks ago. My note was "flat out gorgeous nose, a tad one dimensional on palate". I would agree that below the big boys there is drinking which needs to occur.
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

What?? You mean to tell me that a lady who drinks an occasional Bordeaux was able to pick a blinded 2000 St Julien as a St Julien?? Isn't this what the anti-Parkerites said couldn't happen as they all since Parker taste the same? I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked!