Is Mozart overrated?

JimHow

Is Mozart overrated?

Post by JimHow »

I just think he died too young.
Then again, Chopin died young but I think he's the greatest.
It just seems that no matter how much I try, Mozart fails bring me to the zenith that Chopin does, like a great Bordeaux growth that comes up just a bit short on the finish.
Chopin for me rises to the ultimate heights of beauty that mankind has achieved. Chopin brings me to tears sometimes, like 1989 Lynch Bages, the first baseman to pitcher play, Una furtiva lagrima, the MLK speech, the lunar module, the concept of proof beyond a reasonable doubt. When I think of the blinding beauty of Chopin and all that was to come after him in Poland and Europe I shudder, and I realize how easily it could all be repeated.
Claret

Re: Is Mozart overrated?

Post by Claret »

Mozart was amazingly prolific. I enjoy his piano concerti. There are just enough notes.
Glenn
jal

Post by jal »

The Requiem
The Magic Flute
Don Giovanni
The Marriage of Figaro
The 21st and 24th Piano Concerti
Need I say more?

I'm listening more to Vivaldi lately and I fell in love again with the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto.

I love Chopin's Nocturnes and Mazurkas but why should there be a competition?
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

Mozart overrated? He is the Chateau Margaux of music.
brodway

Post by brodway »

the family spent 3 days in Salzburg, Austria 2 years ago at the time of music festival. The magic of Mozart was in the air and it would be unimaginable to think that any other composer has reached the heights of Mozart when it comes to the child like simple and joyful style that sweeps one off their feet. In one piece he could lead you to ups and downs with such ease and simplicity that its almost difficult to comprehend the experience. The boy/man was so talented that he left behind more great music than any other composer in his short life. A gift from God, if you ask me.

agree with Jacques. Mendelssohn in his own right is brilliant.