Will '11 be another sleeper vintage??

robertgoulet

Will '11 be another sleeper vintage??

Post by robertgoulet »

watched numerous video reports where the chateau's discuss how their grapes were all picked mature and reached phenolic ripeness in addition to meticulous sorting....so where is the problem?
pomilion

Re: Will '11 be another sleeper vintage??

Post by pomilion »

Having been to eight of the past nine UGC tastings (for the '03, '04, '05, '06, '08, '09, '10 and '11 vintages), my impression is that '11 is a very weak vintage, the worst of the UGCs I've been to (though '07 which I missed might have been at the same level qualitatively). There wasn't a single wine at the '11 UGC that I was interested in purchasing at the price offered. There were some wines that were nice though not great (La Conseillante and Canon La Gaffeliere come to mind), but they weren't discounted steeply enough to interest me.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

robertgoulet wrote:watched numerous video reports where the chateau's discuss how their grapes were all picked mature and reached phenolic ripeness in addition to meticulous sorting....so where is the problem?
If you do not mind sharing, which chateaux said they reached full phenolic ripeness with 2011?
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

I would have to go through them again.... watched a bunch of millesime videos on youtube regarding 2011 en primeurs...I would encourage others here to check them out...I walked away thinking this will be a very solid vintage...I know they have to promote their wines but....

I would like to get others interpretations
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

I think I just typed '2011 en primeurs' and the videos came up...short 2-3minute chateau overviews
pomilion

Post by pomilion »

robertgoulet wrote: I walked away thinking this will be a very solid vintage...I know they have to promote their wines but....

I would like to get others interpretations
There are some okay, drinkable wines, but to interest me they would have to be discounted at least 50-70% off 2009/2010 prices, which they aren't (most are discounted 25-40% from what I can tell, which isn't nearly enough for the quality difference).
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

A sleeper vintage? Only in the sense that a lot of the wines are boring enough to induce sleep in BWEs...
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Damn Dave....no panty droppers!!!