Is Robert Parker OK?

JimHow

Is Robert Parker OK?

Post by JimHow »

Reading Advocate #212.
Bordeaux 2011 comes after a section on 2004 California.
He has written exactly four sentences describing the 2011 vintage, one of which basically says, go back and look at issue 200 for my barrel sample scores.
I realize the so-called experts say 2011 is weak. So that means we can only expect an energetic effort during vintages of the century?
I read through some of his bland notes. The energy seems completely gone.
Sure, I'm assuming some are going to say, well, 2011 is a boring vintage.
To me it seems like a deeper problem than that.
We've seen less than stellar vintages in the past that have at least drawn insight and some level of enthusiasm from the guru.
I'll hold onto my $75 this fall when my subscription is up.
It's become just a waste of money for me, I just don't read the Advocate anymore.
DavidG

Re: Is Robert Parker OK?

Post by DavidG »

Well Jim I guess you read more than me. I haven't even looked at it yet. Mostly because I have no interest in buying 2011s. I guess it's just not a very inspiring vintage. He does still seem enthusiastic about some wines.

I find I use the WA mostly for entertainment now, usually to look up notes on older wines to compare to what I'm tasting. Almost never for buying advice. I just don't seem to need it for that anymore.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

JimHow wrote:Reading Advocate #212. - He has written exactly four sentences describing the 2011 vintage, one of which basically says, go back and look at issue 200 for my barrel sample scores. I realize the so-called experts say 2011 is weak. So that means we can only expect an energetic effort during vintages of the century?
Jim... Just curious and a bit bored this morning :D But what are you missing from the report? He did write an extensive weather, harvest, style report 2 years ago that you can search for easily... Truthfully, there is almost 0 demand for 2011 Bordeaux, even for the wines with his lofty praise.

I read through some of his bland notes. The energy seems completely gone.

Bland wines, bland notes. The better wines seem to have extensive notes. At least to me, the interesting thing about his report is how many scored at the top of his early ratings and more surprisingly, how many wines scored higher than he had thought possible when first tasting the wine in 2012.

I'll hold onto my $75 this fall when my subscription is up.

I think you will be savig $100 :mrgreen:
Rieslingfan

Post by Rieslingfan »

Jim,

I might suggest that you have lost the enthusiasm for reading the same, hackneyed words about the same wines, over and over again.