1996 Pichon Lalande vs 1996 Pontet Canet

jckba

1996 Pichon Lalande vs 1996 Pontet Canet

Post by jckba »

Went to Saddle River Inn earlier this evening for a battle of 2 1996 Pauillac's. We started off with a bottle of 2006 Ramey Hyde vineyard which drank superbly with the appetizers and then moved onto the main event.

Pichon Lalande = a wonderfully majestic nose of blackberry, cigar box, tobacco and earthy bell pepper lead way to much of the same on the layered palate with ample acidity and a long finish. This wine drank much younger in comparison to the PC and was also a lot more elegant despite the fact that they were both from the same vintage. I also the found that with food this wine showed much better than without and especially by the end of the night when the greeness took over. 95

Pontet Canet = a nice maturing nose of barnyardy blackberry, cedar, olive and tobacco lead way to a full bodied distinctly Pauillac tasting wine with a little funk along with good length, it was just missing that extra dimension. 93
brodway

Re: 1996 Pichon Lalande vs 1996 Pontet Canet

Post by brodway »

Saddle River Inn is exactly 3 miles from home, but i've never been there to enjoy a meal. How is the food?

The 1996 Pichon Lalande has to be one of my favorite Bordeaux's from that vintage. I also think Pontet Canet starting in 2000, really took wine making to a different level and current vintage pricing reflects their successes.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Also love the 1996 Pichon Lalande - one of my favorites from that excellent vintage.

Chris Bublitz
jckba

Post by jckba »

Broadway,

While the ambience is second to none, I found the food on this night to be hit or miss with some great apps (seared foie gras, Kobe tartar, Octupus) but with 3 out of the four entrees coming out several minutes before the last and with several of the meat dishes ending up more cooked than desired. And when taking the price point into consideration, I don't think that this inconsistentcy is really acceptable in what is supposed to be a fine dining establishment.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Add me to the crowd of 1996 Pichon Lalande fans. It was also the winner of the blind tasting at the 2007 BWE convention. Thanks for the update.
brodway

Post by brodway »

Jckba.....that is what i've been hearing. food is forgettable but the venue is gorgeous. although i haven't had a meal at Cafe Panache in Ramsey in some time, a few years back they succeeded in offering a well prepared filet and some fine stemware for a memorable evening.