TN: One from the dark side

DavidG

TN: One from the dark side

Post by DavidG »

I am guilty of being too lazy to post TNs on most of the wines we drink at home, but this was a special bottle. A gift from our BD at one of our DC conventions, I've been waiting for it to mature a bit. It's been calling my name tha last few times I went down to the cellar, and this time I just couldn't resist. If you've got only one or two, I'd wait a few more years to open them. But if you've got more, it's giving plenty of pleasure now.
  • 2005 Domaine Marquis d'Angerville Volnay 1er Cru - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru (5/9/2014)
    Cellared since release, perfect cork and fill. Opened and slow-oxed for 3 hours and consumed over 2 days. Dark red core, brighter/lighter at rim. ruby/purple. Black cherries, minerals and clean earth on the nose. Medium body, crisp acidity, red fruits, hints of earth and anise, moderate tannins on the medium length finish. Still going strong the next day with mellower tannins. Excellent with an upside for the future.
jal

Re: TN: One from the dark side

Post by jal »

My favorite Volnay prooducer year in year out is d'Angerville. As close to a sure thing in Burgundy as there is.
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yup. Unfortunately, another Burgundy producer who has been "discovered", but still reasonably priced on the current outrageously high scale.

Incidentally, Jacques, we meet our mutual friend in TA for dinner on Saturday. He is now in Scotland sipping' whiskey but gets home early tomorrow since he must lecture and taste tomorrow at Tzora. We go today to TA for a long weekend at the Renaissance (for the price of a cheap first growth Bdx per night) and so passed on accompanying him to Tzora.
jal

Post by jal »

Enjoy Stefan, say hi to H. for me, hopefully we will meet there next year.
Best

Jacques
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Just came across 2002 Angerville Volnay Champans for under 75 bucks...Haven't tried champans before, but hopefully drinking well considering the vintage...Will pop one this weekend or next month to check..
jckba

Post by jckba »

That's quite the deal. Care to share where?
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

jckba wrote:That's quite the deal. Care to share where?
Here is the link..

http://www.catherinestore.com/r/Red%20W ... mpans-2002

But cannot place the order online, but need to call...They seem to be old school...
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Did anyone pursue the deal?