2013 Chaptalized wine...

Chateau Vin

2013 Chaptalized wine...

Post by Chateau Vin »

It's too early, but curious on fellow BWErs' take on buying 2013 bordeaux, now that even top chateaux, including Palmer, resorted to chaptalization in 2013 vintage... Would you buy chaptalized wine knowingly, or does it matter to you?

http://www.decanter.com/bordeaux-2013/e ... -for-years
stefan

Re: 2013 Chaptalized wine...

Post by stefan »

I don't mind chaptalization, but the need for it signifies that the grapes did not ripen properly. I do not like chaptalization to raise the alcohol content to 14%or more. Bordeaux at 12% is fine with me even if you have hardly been able to find Bdx at that level for decades.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

What Stefan said. I'm more interested in the quality of the wine than how it got there. The need for chaptalization is a warning sign, just as the lousy weather is. But it's the tasting reports of unexciting wines that will keep me from buying.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

Chateau Vin wrote:It's too early, but curious on fellow BWErs' take on buying 2013 bordeaux, now that even top chateaux, including Palmer, resorted to chaptalization in 2013 vintage... Would you buy chaptalized wine knowingly, or does it matter to you?
Why is this a problem? It's much more common than you think, especially in the Left Bank. FWIW, they used this technique with some of the greatest Bordeaux wines ever made.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Jeff Leve wrote:
Why is this a problem? It's much more common than you think, especially in the Left Bank. FWIW, they used this technique with some of the greatest Bordeaux wines ever made.
One may not discern a chaptalized/non-chaptalized wine in tasting, but I think it's a problem in that it's pointing towards a not so good vintage (like others have said). I do not think it's uncommon either, but in an average or above average vintages, I dont think the growth chateaux will have the need to do chaptalization. If more chateaux in a vintage have to do that, then it's worrisome to see some chateaux using it indiscreminately (like mentioned in the articles where one chateau raised alcohol level from 9.5% to 14% !!!)....
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

Chateau Vin wrote:
Jeff Leve wrote:
One may not discern a chaptalized/non-chaptalized wine in tasting, but I think it's a problem in that it's pointing towards a not so good vintage (like others have said). I do not think it's uncommon either, but in an average or above average vintages, I dont think the growth chateaux will have the need to do chaptalization. If more chateaux in a vintage have to do that, then it's worrisome to see some chateaux using it indiscreminately (like mentioned in the articles where one chateau raised alcohol level from 9.5% to 14% !!!)....
What you are saying is not correct or true. According to Delmas of Haut Brion, 1989 La Mission Haut Brion was made with chaptalization. http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/bor ... aut-brion/

Clearly, 1989 La Mission Haut Brion is a great wine. I am sure if you asked around, you would find numerous wines from other great vintages that were produced, using that technique. It is against AOC law to increase your sugar level from 9.5 to 14 degrees. Also, the article does not make that claim, a poster did. I suppose it's possible a vat was a potential 9.5% alcohol that is almost impossible to believe an entire harvest was that low in potential alcohol. As it is illegal, if they were discovered, they would be forced to sell their wine as generic Bordeaux, and I am sure they would face other penalities as well.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Jeff Leve wrote:
What you are saying is not correct or true. According to Delmas of Haut Brion, 1989 La Mission Haut Brion was made with chaptalization. http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/bor ... aut-brion/

Clearly, 1989 La Mission Haut Brion is a great wine. I am sure if you asked around, you would find numerous wines from other great vintages that were produced, using that technique. It is against AOC law to increase your sugar level from 9.5 to 14 degrees. Also, the article does not make that claim, a poster did. I suppose it's possible a vat was a potential 9.5% alcohol that is almost impossible to believe an entire harvest was that low in potential alcohol. As it is illegal, if they were discovered, they would be forced to sell their wine as generic Bordeaux, and I am sure they would face other penalities as well.
Well, you can use it juduciously irrespective of the vintage, and that's why law limiting the amounts is there...But generally speaking, if the vintage is decent, it is not needed. May be one here, one there might use it, and that too most likely the chaptalization would be within the limits of what the law says... Only when the vintage is bad that there is greater chance of using OTB, just like the article mentions...With regards to the article, I dont think it's make a difference whether the article claims or not, but if some source (it could be you or someone else) is told by producer, why should I not believe if the revelation is sincere? Granted, you cannot believe blindly, but you cannot ignore either.

Didn't want to digress, but anyway, my intention is just to know the fellow members' take on it...
RDD

Post by RDD »

Chaptalization does not bother me in the least.
Just technique to raise alcohol content.
I use a similar technique in beer making all the time.

I guess it's widespread use in a vintage could indicate a ripeness issue.
So judicious use is best and the laws are such to prevent over use.

But if we are going to really worry too much about it, shouldn't we also worry irrigation in California would indicate a watered down wine?

Anyway I'll wait and see what's in the bottle.