TN: 1989 Chateau Margaux at 25 years

JCNorthway

TN: 1989 Chateau Margaux at 25 years

Post by JCNorthway »

There was a reason to open this wine on Friday evening at our favorite French bistro here in Chicago - Le Bouchon; it was our 25th anniversary. We had a lovely evening sharing the story of our special day in Geneva with the staff, some of whom we've known for over 10 years, and the owner whom we've known for at least 15 years. I had arranged to bring this wine to dinner to celebrate.

The wine was opened and decanted when we arrived, and two glasses were poured to open up a bit. I took my first sip at about an hour, and the wine in the glass was singing. Wonderful classic Bordeaux - great nose, structure, fruit and earth combined. My next glass from the decanter was actually a bit closed, but opened up in the glass to be just as enjoyable. I was a bit surprised that this wine was still so youthful. We shared small glasses with the owner, bartender and one of the waiters who is into wine, and they all smiled and nodded approvingly upon tasting.

This is the only first growth I have ever owned - purchased 3 at auction specifically to celebrate special years for us. I have one left and it will definitely not get opened before we celebrate 30 years, and maybe longer.
brodway

Re: TN: 1989 Chateau Margaux at 25 years

Post by brodway »

Congratulations on the anniversary. A special wine for a special day indeed. Many more!!!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Congratulations to the newly weds Jon & Paula!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Well done, Jon. Happy Anniversary!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Happy anniversary Paula and John. Special bottle for special occasion, that delivers the good to make the day even more exceptionnal.

Saturday, it was Marie-Claude/Nicklasss 19 years birthday of dating. i wanted to open a Champagne, but as we had guess for dinner, Marie-Claude asked me to save the Champagne for another moment, when we'll have dinner just the two of us. What woman want...

Nic
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Congrats to you two and a nice wine to celebrate. 25 for us in September. Sadly, my stash of 89s is almost gone.