Bordeaux trip tips

ste79

Bordeaux trip tips

Post by ste79 »

Hi Everybody,

I am planning to go for my first time to visit Bordeaux region , Can anybody give me some tips about wineries to visit ? and if you suggest using an organized tour or go by myself ?
I am thinking to stay around 3/4 days anyway.

Thanks

Stefano
DavidG

Re: Bordeaux trip tips

Post by DavidG »

I'm sure Alex, our resident (as in he actually lives there) Bordeaux expert, will be able to give you more specific advice than I can. You should definitely arrange appointments ahead of time.

First, you should decide what Chateaux to visit. I would pick ones you already like, and add one or two that you don't have experience with but would like to try. Decide how many visits per day you want to make. Do you want to linger and take a leisurely pace? If so, maybe 1 visit in the morning and 2 in the afternoon. Or is your goal to visit as many places and taste as many wines as possible?

Consult a map. You don't want to go from St Estephe to Pomerol to Pauillac in one day. Organize visits and plan lodging accordingly. How much do you want to spend? There are inexpensive chain hotels in Bordeaux, and then there are spa type luxury accommodations like Cordellian Bages and in the heart of St Emilion.

Are you a confirmed spitter? If so, renting a car might work. If you find it hard to resist drinking a bit of the better wines, or plan on drinking wine with lunch, hire a driver. A local driver should also reduce the stress of wondering if you've taken the correct route.

Do you speak French? If not, ask if the visit will be conducted in a language you speak.
ste79

Post by ste79 »

Thanks ,

I was thinking to go to LaTour, Margaux , pichon, lynch bages, pontet canet, but if have suggestions would be great :)
I would like to try smaller and less known estates as well but i do not know a lot of them .

When I go to wine regions i normally start with good vineries in the morning and after lunch I switch to discovery new places take it easy and I often improvise according to the info that I get on the way.

Do you think i can rent a driver at a decent price ? What about one of those wine tours , do you know a good one ?

Thanks !!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Stefano, I'm afraid I can't help with details. The last time I went it was with this group, and a number of them helped make arrangements.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi Stefano,

If you PM me, I'll be glad to help.

Setting up a program on your own takes some organization and planning long ahead of time.

All the best,
Alex : alex@aquitaine-traduction.com