2010 Barolo Vintage?

Chateau Vin

2010 Barolo Vintage?

Post by Chateau Vin »

Now that 2010 Barolo vintage was declared the 'vintage of the century' :) in piemont, wondering if any of the members are buying...If so, curious to know which producers peek your interest?
RPCV

Re: 2010 Barolo Vintage?

Post by RPCV »

The only wines I buy ahead of tasting anymore are Bordeaux. That being said, I really like the '06 vintage. 2006 is the best vintage of the decade (IMHO) and you can still get nice wines at good prices.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Probably nothing for a variety of factors unrelated to vintage quality. I will say though that I was very impressed with a 2010 Oberto Nebbiolo Langhe. Very dark, sweet and tannic wine w/OK acidity. A lot of interesting aromas. Very nice drinking but probably not something for classicists. If it is representative of the vintage and not just the producer then if you like ripe and powerful it's your vintage.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Thanks Art. I have not tasted any 2010 Barolo, but the media et al are all gaga about the vintage. May be Oberto is not for classicists, but Galloni seems to note that overall, the 2010 vintage is for classicists...

AG said "Simply put, 2010 is the greatest young Barolo vintage I have tasted in 18 years of visiting the region..." Reminds me of "SOMEONE" saying the same about 2009 Bordeaux.... :P :P :P Here is the link...

http://vinousmedia.com/articles/2010-ba ... n-jan-2014
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

AG knows Barolo very well and I certainly respect his opinion so I won't hesitate to buy with confidence.
hautbrionlover

Post by hautbrionlover »

I have been buying some 2010 Barolos and Barbarescos based just in the reviews.
Really young Nebbiolo is hard for me to judge, so I am relying on others' expertise, because I know I like these wines when they've got some age on them and I am seizing the opportunity to get some now at attractive prices.
So far I have bought the following Barolos : Oberto, Oddero, and Cascina Nuova Elvio Cogno, and the following Barbarescos:
Sori Paitin, La Ca Nova, and Cortese Rabaja.
I'll be buying more as appealing QPRs become available to me.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Could be the producer. I'm drinking an 2012 Oberto Dolcetto d'Alba and it also seems like fairly strong medicine for the type. Deliciously ripe but also tannic with some grainyness.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Ok guys, this is the deal with 2010 Barolo. It is the real deal. It is the equivalent of 2010 Bordeaux in Bordeaux. In other words it is probably the best modern vintage and possibly it will be the greatest ever. I have been buying.

But the prices are a bit on the high side and there are a lot of other very worthy vintages.

Here is my vintage assessment:

2010 - great and classic. It has everything including state of the art wine making.
2009 - the poorest vintage since 2003. A lot of hot, over ripe wines without balancing acidity. Some good wines too, but be careful.
2008 - as in Bordeaux, under the radar, classic
2007 - ripe, full bodied, full on, but age worthy, and approachable; an outstanding vintage.
2006 - much more restrained than 2007, but classy and classic
2005 - good respectable wines, but overshadowed by by the 04s, 06s and 07s...good restaurant vintage
2004 - more than any other vintage it vies with 2010 for the mantle of greatest modern day vintage
2003 - as in Bordeaux a hot difficult vintages, but there are some marvellous wines
2002 - seen to be very problematic, but how did G. Conterno make such a great Monfortino?
2001 - a brilliant vintage, still with its best years ahead if it. My go to vintage.
2000 - as in 2000 burgundy an outstanding vintage for current drinking, wines will not make old bones. Enjoy now.
1999 - classic, long lived
1998 - solid
1997 - quite hot, with a lot of soft, low acid voluptuous wines. Not in the same league as 2007.
1996 - the last great old fashioned Barolo vintage. Many wines are not ready, many will last 50 + years

My 2c

Discuss.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Comte Flaneur wrote:Ok guys, this is the deal with 2010 Barolo. It is the real deal. It is the equivalent of 2010 Bordeaux in Bordeaux. In other words it is probably the best modern vintage and possibly it will be the greatest ever. I have been buying.

But the prices are a bit on the high side and there are a lot of other very worthy vintages.

Here is my vintage assessment:

2010 - great and classic. It has everything including state of the art wine making.
2009 - the poorest vintage since 2003. A lot of hot, over ripe wines without balancing acidity. Some good wines too, but be careful.
2008 - as in Bordeaux, under the radar, classic
2007 - ripe, full bodied, full on, but age worthy, and approachable; an outstanding vintage.
2006 - much more restrained than 2007, but classy and classic
2005 - good respectable wines, but overshadowed by by the 04s, 06s and 07s...good restaurant vintage
2004 - more than any other vintage it vies with 2010 for the mantle of greatest modern day vintage
2003 - as in Bordeaux a hot difficult vintages, but there are some marvellous wines
2002 - seen to be very problematic, but how did G. Conterno make such a great Monfortino?
2001 - a brilliant vintage, still with its best years ahead if it. My go to vintage.
2000 - as in 2000 burgundy an outstanding vintage for current drinking, wines will not make old bones. Enjoy now.
1999 - classic, long lived
1998 - solid
1997 - quite hot, with a lot of soft, low acid voluptuous wines. Not in the same league as 2007.
1996 - the last great old fashioned Barolo vintage. Many wines are not ready, many will last 50 + years

My 2c

Discuss.
Thanks Ian....

Would you mind sharing which producers fared well in 2010 in your opinion, and which ones are you interested in buying 2010s? Also, in your opinion, which 2008 Barolos are the long lived ones (looking for almost 30 yr ageability...). Thanks...
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

CV

I bought a mixed case of Roberto Voerzio barolos (Cerequio, La Serra, Brunate etc), a half case of Bartolo Mascarello, a half case of Nada Fiorenzo barbaresco Manzola, a case of Proddutori di Barbaresco with the single vineyards are mixed in with the generic wine, unlike in 2006.

The Voerzio's are full throttle but sensationally good wines. They are the Lamborghini Aventador of Piedmont.

Producers I am considering include Brovia, Grasso, Vajra, Mascarello Monprivato, Burlotto, Fenocchio, Paitin, Vietti and Aldo Conterno. The latter two would be pricey.

Re the longest lived 2008s I suspect the usual suspects...
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

You are right about Voerzio being the Lamborghini Aventador of Piedmont. At over $200/bottle in the U.S., I probably will be looking at other labels despite the quality of those wines. I just drank a 2010 Voerzio Barbera last week in Milan (vacation) - it was great.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Thanks Ian...

I got Burlotto, and thinking of buying chiara boschis, sandrone and mascarello. But mascarello, monprivato and brovia are not available in the US. At such high prices, Voerzio is a pass for me. Thought of Cappellano, but post teobaldo, I have not gotten any...
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Yes I must admit I have my reservations too about post-Baldo Cappellanos after buying and drinking a rather turgid 2007 Pie Rupestris in Alba last fall. But he was still alive and making wine then and Cappellano usually takes a long time to come around.

The 1999 has evolved into a sensational wine, sort of 97 points sensational.